Future of Qantas

Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
There remains no indication that Bill will pass as it does not have support of the key opposition party (Australian Labor), nor any of the 'crossbenchers' (minor parties and independents).
That's party politics I guess. There are plenty of Labor pollies who would also be in favour of amending the Qantas Sale Act (IIRC some have even said so publicly in the past) but will fall in line just to frustrate/embarrass (take your pick depending on where you stand) the government .
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by bensyd
It's a trader's stock (3.3b shares traded last year, 2.2b shares on issue. Already this year 700m shares have traded). The holding period is relatively short for Qantas shares, especially by ASX large cap standards. Heavily traded stocks don't often = activist shareholder base.
That is how I made my money on QAN, when I was an active trader. Never a long term investment I traded on the price cycle generally 4 times a year.
Interestingly having inherited my Virgin shares from my holding in Patricks I never traded them....holding too small to bother and they just sit on my holdings list.
I am curious on who has the power to sack the Board and Executives that people have called out for sackings.
IMO AJ will leave after the bulk of the cost cutting starts to bear fruit. He has burnt too many bridges and his role is probably be the hachet man then leave for another CEO to come in and take the credit.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I am curious on who has the power to sack the Board and Executives that people have called out for sackings.
The shareholders. Either get enough shareholders together and request the company hold an extraordinary general meeting to spill the board and remove the CEO. Or, if >25% of shareholders reject the remuneration report over two years then the board is immediately spilled and up for re-election. Last year's voting of the remuneration report should give you some idea of how unlikely that is.

For: 1,601,406,426
Against: 13,979,328

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.