Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
QFFF decided to start enforcing this requirement. That, in itself, was perfectly legitimate. But the way it did so was not. It effectively introduced the requirement at an arbitrary date, and without advance warning. I think that we first knew this only when reports started coming in of people who thought they'd requalified being told that they hadn't, and that the four-sector rule was the reason why.
IIRC, the first sign of enforcement came in an email 'reminding' us that the rule existed!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by perthite
IIRC, the first sign of enforcement came in an email 'reminding' us that the rule existed!
Almost exactly seven years ago - with a mini tweak to exclude reward flights on QF.

See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ed-thread.html

Last edited by serfty; Mar 4, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
E And QFFF (and QF in general) makes next to no effort to attract non-Australians with promotions, so there are few special offers targeted at the UK audience.
What has puzzled me since I moved from Australia to Singapore, is complete lack of interest of QFF (or QF in general) to attract passengers here. Used to have 10-11 own metal flights a day (and even now you can buy 10-11 QF coded flights a day accounting for EK codeshares), yet nothing special to promote QFF - and that's without considering 3K flights. No credit card linkages (yet BA Exec Club and Delta Life Miles with their 3 and 1 flights a day respectively have them). I didn't even get a monthly email statement or promos from QFF when I moved my address here, but did an experiment and changed the address in my QFF profile back to Australia and guess what - in came the promos and monthly email statements.

You'd think with 3K & QF services (+EK, BA, CX, AY, MH) there'd be some momentum for QFF. I can't tell if the costs of getting involved in SIN loyalty game outweigh the benefits, or just the Australian-centric thinking precludes it.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not so simple, when the rule had not been enforced for very many years. (Was it ever enforced before that change in policy?)

To get all legal about this for a second, the law developed the concept of estoppel to stop people/companies suddenly changing their minds in this way.
The concept of estoppel is something that I cannot see applies here

Qantas had already stated that there was a 4 segment rule
Qantas chose not to enforce it but never made any claims that it was dropping the rule

At no time did Qantas claim that there was no 4 segment rule
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
And Alan Joyce has just jumped the shark.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/busine...-1226845978095

He said Qantas would continue its price war with Virgin, adding he had spoken to the chief executives of Ryanair and EasyJet, who would have “exactly the same” strategy.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by SQ421
And Alan Joyce has just jumped the shark.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/busine...-1226845978095

Why won't the shareholders sack him already?
He needs to be replaced. Hire someone useful like Tom Horton.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Qantas chose not to enforce it but never made any claims that it was dropping the rule

At no time did Qantas claim that there was no 4 segment rule
Estoppel can be in play without anyone saying anything.

But let's not get technical about this. The point is that if you suddenly and without advance warning change a long-established position which you have, over a period of years, led your customers to expect, then even if you are strictly speaking legally entitled to make the change (a) you're likely to come across as high-handed and/or insensitive; and (b) your customers may be pissed off with you.

The change to the 4-sector rule would in itself be relatively trivial in the overall scheme of things, if it had stood alone. But for the purposes of this discussion, it stands as an illustrative example of many things that QF has been doing.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But let's not get technical about this. The point is that if you suddenly and without advance warning change a long-established position which you have, over a period of years, led your customers to expect, then even if you are strictly speaking legally entitled to make the change (a) you're likely to come across as high-handed and/or insensitive; and (b) your customers may be pissed off with you.
There I see the problem being on the customer's side. If the customer is aware of a rule but just relying on the aiirline not enforcing it, then the whole risk is on the cusotmer's side really. I see it no different to collecting to AA; at the moment AA has not enforced the requirement of 4 flights, but don't see anyone has any reasonable complaint if it was to enforce it this year
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Because he is in the middle of essential reforms. Nobody else wants to carry that can. They might make a move when the reforms are complete but that will be some time yet. Up until then, it's a poisoned chalice.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the customer is aware of a rule but just relying on the aiirline not enforcing it ...
QF's conduct went beyond that. That's why, if legal analysis were necessary, this would be in the field of estoppel. Not that there was ever any question of using legal remedies in this case.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Not so simple, when the rule had not been enforced for very many years. (Was it ever enforced before that change in policy?)

To get all legal about this for a second, the law developed the concept of estoppel to stop people/companies suddenly changing their minds in this way.
I have to admit I was always worried QF were going to enforce this, thus I always made a conscious decision to ensure I hit the target when I was actively crediting to QFF. In my case it was generally quite easy to hit it as I could direct relevant flight spend to QF vs a competitor, but I digress....

Caveat emptor?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I have to admit I was always worried QF were going to enforce this, thus I always made a conscious decision to ensure I hit the target when I was actively crediting to QFF. In my case it was generally quite easy to hit it as I could direct relevant flight spend to QF vs a competitor, but I digress....

Caveat emptor?
In a customer loyalty programme rather than a closed single transaction, QF might want to opt for caveat venditor instead.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The Qantas Sale Amendment Bill 2014 has passed the lower house of Australia's parliament (the House of Representatives). The Act seeks to remove part III of the original Act.

Debate in the upper house (the Senate) will not commence before Monday 17 March. There remains no indication that Bill will pass as it does not have support of the key opposition party (Australian Labor), nor any of the 'crossbenchers' (minor parties and independents).
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by danger
The Qantas Sale Amendment Bill 2014 has passed the lower house of Australia's parliament (the House of Representatives). The Act seeks to remove part III of the original Act.

Debate in the upper house (the Senate) will not commence before Monday 17 March. There remains no indication that Bill will pass as it does not have support of the key opposition party (Australian Labor), nor any of the 'crossbenchers' (minor parties and independents).
It doesn't have a hope in hell
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Himeno

He needs to be replaced. Hire someone useful like Tom Horton.
It's a trader's stock (3.3b shares traded last year, 2.2b shares on issue. Already this year 700m shares have traded). The holding period is relatively short for Qantas shares, especially by ASX large cap standards. Heavily traded stocks don't often = activist shareholder base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.