Search

Future of Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Qantas Sale Act changes announced

Qantas Sale Act changes have been announced - but no debt guarantee:-
Qantas Sale Act: Tony Abbott announces intended changes to allow greater foreign investment

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has announced the Federal Government will look to repeal the part of the Qantas Sale Act which restricts foreign ownership.

However, Mr Abbott says he is not proposing to offer a debt guarantee or line of credit to the struggling airline.

The Qantas Sale Act currently restricts overall foreign investment to 49 per cent, ensuring the airline remains majority Australian-owned.

Mr Abbott says Federal Cabinet discussed Qantas for almost two hours this evening and agreed to repeal Part 3 of the Act, removing all foreign ownership restrictions.

"We will seek to repeal part three of the Qantas Sale Act in its entirety and I will be writing to Qantas as soon as this press conference is over in those terms," Mr Abbott said.

The Government says other regulations will still prevent more than 49 per cent of Qantas International being sold outside Australia, but Qantas's domestic operations could become majority overseas-owned.

Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Qantas Sale Act changes have been announced - but no debt guarantee:-
Correction. Proposed changes have been announced. It seems the senate may be difficult with key players stating their opposition to changes to the QSA, in order to protect Australian jobs. Of course bankruptcy works well for saving jobs doesn't it

It does seem the overarching cap of 49% foreign ownership of Australian airlines operating under international traffic rights from Australia, with smart structuring of QF (along the lines of VA) may give some negotiating room for the senate.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Correction. Proposed changes have been announced.
I had thought that this was implicit in the fact that it involves asking Parliament to repeal primary legislation; and explicit in the title of the quote, let alone its body.

Apologies if my post misled anyone into believing that a dictatorship had arrived in Canberra.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
opposition to changes to the QSA, in order to protect Australian jobs. Of course bankruptcy works well for saving jobs doesn't it
Yes, the status quo is what has got Qantas where they are so upholding the status quo in order to "protect Australian jobs" is a contradiction in terms.
I had thought that this was implicit in the fact that it involves asking Parliament to repeal primary legislation; and explicit in the title of the quote, let alone its body.

Apologies if my post misled anyone into believing that a dictatorship had arrived in Canberra.
I think lokijuh's point is that the government can not have control of both houses until July 2014, due to the lag/overlap in Senate/HoR terms. At the moment, a hostile senate could block any government changes to laws.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Being an international forum, it may seem ( to those not familiar with Australian politics) the government announcing such changes - means that they are a fait accompli. However, at the moment it seems the government will face challenges getting such changes through the senate, which some may not appreciate. Some commentators have even suggested this is a ploy straight out of politics 101 to take heat out of any decision to provide corporate welfare to Qantas, as there's a good chance that it will be blocked in either the pre or post July senate.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandolino
At the moment, a hostile senate could block any government changes to laws.
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Being an international forum, it may seem ( to those not familiar with Australian politics) the government announcing such changes - means that they are a fait accompli. However, at the moment it seems the government will face challenges getting such changes through the senate, which some may not appreciate.
Which all appears from the title of the quotation, within the quoted text, and within the full article itself ...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:57 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Etihad CEO Calls For a Truce Between Qantas and Virgin Australia

The airline executive and Virgin Australia backer has been quoted as saying that the capacity war between Qantas and Virgin Australia is financially damaging both carriers.

http://www.afr.com/p/business/compan...F8GYXTM9gaZW8H

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226844288506
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
The airline executive and Virgin Australia backer has been quoted as saying that the capacity war between Qantas and Virgin Australia is financially damaging both carriers.
That is pointing out the obvious.

But QF aren't going to retreat - so if VA do, QF will just follow. THat is all it will take. VA is kidding themselves if they think QF are just going to retreat on thier own.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut

http://www.afr.com/p/business/compan...F8GYXTM9gaZW8H

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226844288506
Then maybe EY should stop giving VA money until they stop fighting.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
If it is all of Part 3 including
s7(1)(h) require that of the facilities, taken in aggregate, which are used by Qantas in the provision of scheduled international air transport services (for example, facilities for the maintenance and housing of aircraft, catering, flight operations, training and administration), the facilities located in Australia, when compared with those located in any other country, must represent the principal operational centre for Qantas; and
This will allow QF to off shore many functions that will help reduce its cost of operations.
IMO the Government will scarfice this to allow passage to go through a hostile Senate and will appear to "give a level playing field" to QF by eliminating its foreign ownership limits (but still requiring approval from the FIB) yet doing very little to help QF reduce its costs to be similar to its direct competitors.
If it fails in the Senate the Labour/Green/Independents will be blamed for assisting in the demise of QF.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
So for me, QFFF became much less good value when premium economy became an established part of the landscape, which made earning and burning miles through BAEC much better value.
[pedant mode]Could you possibly re-phrase that.[/pedant mode]

Dave
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
This approach was, for me, an illustration of the arrogance and inward-thinking focus that has infected QF generally for too many years. That was a change that wouldn't have affected Australian members hugely, but QF's geographical position meant that it had a dramatic effect on its overseas customers. But culturally, QF just doesn't think like this. In this and so many other ways, the chickens have now come home to roost.
Ok, so you knew there was a rule there, but it wasn't being enforced. But you knew the rule was there anyway.

So you decided to ignore the rule (even though you knew it wasn't being enforced).

Your loss, you took a gamble. You knew what the rule was.

I often follow rules that aren't being enforced. As an example, when there is trackwork up here in the Blue Mountains, with buses replacing trains, I am supposed to buy a ticket to travel on the bus, the ticket is never checked, I could travel for free, but I choose to buy a ticket, because that is what the rules say I should do.

In short, you took a punt, you lost, your problem.

Dave
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thadocta
Ok, so you knew there was a rule there, but it wasn't being enforced. But you knew the rule was there anyway.

So you decided to ignore the rule (even though you knew it wasn't being enforced).

Your loss, you took a gamble. You knew what the rule was.

In short, you took a punt, you lost, your problem.
Not so simple, when the rule had not been enforced for very many years. (Was it ever enforced before that change in policy?)

To get all legal about this for a second, the law developed the concept of estoppel to stop people/companies suddenly changing their minds in this way.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
My new word of the day: "estoppel"!

But anyway, who would know the rules when established practice is to ignore them?

I suppose it's like "rack rates" in hotels. They almost never apply them, but when they do, you can't accuse them of gouging, because those are the official published rates..
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandolino
I suppose it's like "rack rates" in hotels. They almost never apply them, but when they do, you can't accuse them of gouging, because those are the official published rates..
Yes, but at least you know in advance and can decline - as opposed to having the rack rate applied to your stay without advance warning when you're already half way through it. We'd planned the earning for that year in accordance with the airline's consistent practice during the previous year, the year before, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, and so on. (For context, I have a QFFF number that starts 02.)

Anyway, it was never going to amount to anything more than a single complaint from us (which got a brush off). We voted with our feet instead. The story was being told as an illustration of the corporate approach - further reflected in many other ways than this - not for the purposes of a whinge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.