New Emirates and Jetstar Agreement

Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Platinum
New Emirates and Jetstar Agreement

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Emirates

Emirates and Jetstar have announced an agreement which is set to open up new destinations in Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia for Emirates passengers.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
http://www.jetstar.com/mediacentre/l...2a&language=en

Kinda surprised EK would dump its pax onto Jetstar.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: QFF
Surprised they haven't included GK to connect from EK's flights to/from NRT.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Does Emirates know anything about JetStar, or have they been conned by the "Qantas Group" painted on the side of their planes?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
http://www.jetstar.com/mediacentre/l...2a&language=en

Kinda surprised EK would dump its pax onto Jetstar.
What is so special about EK Y passengers? I flew JQ recently BNE-MEL (not my choice) and they were no worse than most US domestics.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
What is so special about EK Y passengers?....
With EK 10 across in Y on wide body aircraft. EK Y is cattle class. EK have more Y seats than F seats
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With EK 10 across in Y on wide body aircraft. EK Y is cattle class. EK have more Y seats than F seats
Even UA only runs 3 3 3 in Y on the T7.

I would expect more Y seats than F seats
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
What is so special about EK Y passengers? I flew JQ recently BNE-MEL (not my choice) and they were no worse than most US domestics.
When the EK/QF alliance started a lot of noise was made about matching standards, similar experience etc. I think a lot of unsuspecting pax booking from other countries will be surprised when they go from EK to JQ.

10 across on 777 isn't great but it's not terrible - NZ and EY do it also, a lot of the space comes out of the aisle. There's still more personal room on a 10 across 777 than there is on a JQ 320. And plenty of the EK pax will be on a 380 anyway. The big differentiator though is the service and attitude on board, JQ really are terrible when it comes to that aspect.

Oh and I've done a lot of flying on US domestics in the last 12 months, and all the mainline carriers have improved substantially now the economy has picked up over there. DL and AA in particular are much better than they were over the last few years. I'd fly them over JQ any day.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF WP
Conspiracy theory would suggest massive route cuts at the QF announcement in 2 weeks time.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
JQ 787 of course *crams* them in the back with a 335 seat layout, so that provides a "matching standard" for EK Y !! (except for the food and entertainment systems)

but seriously can you imagine flying LHR-DXB-SYD in EK F, then being shoved onto JQ to Newcastle or something? Seamless!!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
It gets a bit tiring all the cynicism around Jetstar. Fact is today EK passengers are dumped anyway at EK destinations and have to find their own way to most of the ports that will be offered on the new codeshares on Jetstar. At least now they will have a chance of getting there on a protected booking all the way on the EK code - surely that in itself is an improvement!

And seriously, if people cannot survive a one or 2 hour journey on 3K to somewhere like PNH, then I don't know how they will survive the experience in (on the streets of ) PNH. If they are that precious they should fly on private jet. Or look at alternatives such as SQ/MI instead of EK/3K - or ??/VA or ??/NZ instead of EK/JQ.

Granted there is a lot of variation between airlines, but being "dumped" from a long haul widebody with full service and IFE, to a short haul narrow body almost anywhere in the world is a real comedown. Be it QFi->QFd, SQ->MI, BA long haul -> BA Europe, NZi -> NZd, TGi->TGd, CX-KA A320 .... etc
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokijuh
It gets a bit tiring all the cynicism around Jetstar. Fact is today EK passengers are dumped anyway at EK destinations and have to find their own way to most of the ports that will be offered on the new codeshares on Jetstar.
< snip >
.....long haul widebody with full service and IFE, to a short haul narrow body almost anywhere in the world......
Perphaps many here expect that F, J & Y Emirates passengers fly to there next destination by private jet. I have not noticed any international F class airline seats to Newcastle for sale.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I know, I was just being irritating. Certainly many US airlines and others have done this for years - I've come of a F flight into LAX and dumped onto a CRJ in Y to get to a smaller city. No question.

The benefit is obviously there to extend EK's network reach via codeshare and sales agreements.

I suspect a minimal impact on QF revenues via this which to me is the important factor, but better some traffic go "our" way than on some other carrier like Air Asia X or Tiger or whatever.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Conspiracy theory would suggest massive route cuts at the QF announcement in 2 weeks time.
What is the actual likelihood of QF dramatically culling routes (especially international)?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
10-abreast seating in EK Y is only on their B777 aircraft, which I'd avoid if possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.