AA/QF Codeshare Issue - Insights?

Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
AA/QF Codeshare Issue - Insights?

Backstory: I booked a DFW-LAX-SYD routing using QF a few weeks out. My DFW-LAX segment is actually an AA flight with a QF codeshare.

Out of nowhere, QF moved me to a later DFW-LAX flight, even though my original flight is still operating. The new time leaves me with an LAX connection that is, for me, too close for comfort. I called up the US number for Qantas to see what my options were.

1) The phone rep opened up by confidently telling me that my original DFW-LAX flight had been canceled. That's flat-out not true. It's still scheduled, and can even be purchased (as an AA flight) through qantas.com. When I pointed that out to the rep, I got about 30 seconds of keyboard clacking verifying that what I said was true, then he put me on hold for 7-8 minutes.

2) When he came back on the line, he tried to pitch me on the virtues of the later flight. "It's still a legal connection, you'll have no problems", etc. If everything goes right, sure. If not, I have to wait 24 hours in LAX. No thanks.

3) Finally, he stated that the codeshare for the original flight had expired , but that he could, if I wanted, ticket me on that as an AA flight at no additional cost to me. I agreed to that, and I was done (apart from having to hunt down an AA PNR and go to aa.com to re-select my seats for that segment).

I sensed quite a bit of reluctance on QF's part to route me on my original flight.

--

My two questions are:
1) Why would QF care which AA flight they put me on? Is this going to cost QF a lot more to route me on a non-codeshared AA flight vs. a codeshared one?
2) If they hadn't put me back on my original flight, what could I have done about it? They sold me the ticket, the flight is still operating, but I'm not on it? What's up with that?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Actually it sounds like the flight is not operating. If the codeshare arrangement on that service has ended, then as far as the Qantas flight goes, it is cancelled.

If you had just booked on the AA flight , then there would have beeen no issues; just another of the reasons not to book on codeshares unless absoluetely necessary

The system probably automatically rebooked you on the next available flight rather than particularly trying to avoid an AA flight. Booking on the codeshare is probably good for Qantas, just not good for the passenger
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
QF would have changed the flight because AA whispered something in their ear.

Now what could it be?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
QF would have changed the flight because AA whispered something in their ear.

Now what could it be?

That thought crossed my mind, especially post-merger. I guess the phone rep isn't authorized to tell me "AA's going to pull the plug on this flight next week". ^
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Actually it sounds like the flight is not operating. If the codeshare arrangement on that service has ended, then as far as the Qantas flight goes, it is cancelled.
Dave is correct. QF have stopped codesharing on AA2489 (the 19:05 flight), which remains on the AA schedule.

I'd doubt AA will be pulling this one from the schedule, as it would leave them with a 2-hour gap. In fact, after winter they usually add a 19:45 flight (AA2493). But that's opinion - fact is that AA2489 doesn't have a QF codeshare in the OW timetable.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Why not try to get them to place you on the DFW-SYD service instead?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
This service requires a stop in BNE anyway so there is no real advantage, unless your final destination is not SYD.

Furthermore, QF8 is also often known for diversions due to weather etc. whereas the LAX flights rarely divert (unless medical).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by madrooster
This service requires a stop in BNE anyway so there is no real advantage, unless your final destination is not SYD.

Furthermore, QF8 is also often known for diversions due to weather etc. whereas the LAX flights rarely divert (unless medical).
For someone originating in DFW, as the OP presumably would be if he lives in Plano, then there are definitely advantages.

Most notably, if there are delays to the DFW-LAX flight such that the connection to QF108 (which is what the OP is obviously booked on) is missed, he's stuck in LAX for 24 hours. That's a non-negligible risk when traveling in winter or spring. Even if QF8 is delayed or diverted, then he's most likely going to arrive on the same day. And if QF8 is cancelled, he can go back home for the night rather than the cruddy LAX Holiday Inn.

There are also some disadvantages, e.g. have to check in with QF and their desk only opens at 19:00, whereas I prefer to check in earlier and drop my bags then go to the office.

If I were a risk-averse person who preferred a longer layover to connection risk (as the OP seems to), then choosing QF8 would better fit my profile.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Originally Posted by madrooster
Yep, that's one part of the calculation. The total travel time westbound is almost equal between DFW-BNE-SYD and DFW-LAX-SYD. (Heck, with the later flight they're trying to put me on, I think LAX is faster!)

The other is that on the outbound, I'm flying in F. LAX is the only way to make that happen.

On the way back, I am taking the SYD-DFW service, because eastbound, it DOES save several hours.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge
Dave is correct. QF have stopped codesharing on AA2489 (the 19:05 flight), which remains on the AA schedule.

... But that's opinion - fact is that AA2489 doesn't have a QF codeshare in the OW timetable.
Hmmm. That's interesting, because that's the flight they wanted to put me on, and it appeared to still have a QF codeshare when I was monkeying with the reservation.

During the timeframe I'm flying, that flight doesn't depart DFW until 19:30, leaving me with only 1-1/2 hours (scheduled arrival to scheduled departure) to get from T4 to Tom Bradley and board the Qantas flight.

I dunno - since I haven't done that before, maybe that is a reasonable amount of time to make the connection. Thoughts?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
Hmmm. That's interesting, because that's the flight they wanted to put me on, and it appeared to still have a QF codeshare when I was monkeying with the reservation.

During the timeframe I'm flying, that flight doesn't depart DFW until 19:30, leaving me with only 1-1/2 hours (scheduled arrival to scheduled departure) to get from T4 to Tom Bradley and board the Qantas flight.

I dunno - since I haven't done that before, maybe that is a reasonable amount of time to make the connection. Thoughts?
You're right, it does depend on the date. I looked at tomorrow (2/11), and the OW timetable doesn't show QF3110 but does show AA2489. When the flight shifts to 19:30 it does seem to show QF3110 again.

In my personal experience 90 mins is enough if your arriving flight is on time. Personally, I take that connection repeatedly. However, given that you're flying F on the A380 (a key new piece of info!), I'd be inclined to take one earlier flight to reduce the risk of getting moved onto QF108.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by jridge

I'd doubt AA will be pulling this one from the schedule, as it would leave them with a 2-hour gap. In fact, after winter they usually add a 19:45 flight (AA2493). But that's opinion - fact is that AA2489 doesn't have a QF codeshare in the OW timetable.
I wouldn't trust the oneworld timetable for codeshares. It doesn't always show them. eg, none of the QR US-DOH flights show their AA codes on the oneworld timetable. Said AA codes do show up on the AA timetable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.