Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QFA11 SYD - LAX Diverted to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

QFA11 SYD - LAX Diverted to HNL

Anyone know why QFA11 was diverted to HNL today? Was playing golf near HNL and saw it took off. Was taken aback since HNL doesn't have any scheduled A380 flights.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
When the QF jets stop in HNL it is usually due to a medical diversion.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: QFF
It was on the ground in HNL for just over an hour, likely medical.
It was also late out of SYD, departing at 1742 instead of 1500

Interesting that QF3 (SYD-HNL) was also 3 hours late out of SYD.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:20 am

It was a medical, nothing exciting.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Is QF the only airline likely to land an A380 in such circumstances in HNL?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
In terms of regular scheduled services, yes. No other A380 carrier goes near HNL.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VHOEJ
It was a medical, nothing exciting.
I think the pax/patient and their family would disagree. Hoping they are OK whatever the issue was.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
I think the pax/patient and their family would disagree. Hoping they are OK whatever the issue was.
I do not think the response was meant to down play a medical issue but was expecting something of a dramatic nature with the flight itself such as both starboard engines lost or out of Tattinger in First.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: NZ (LT Koru); QF (WP & LTG); FJ (Tabua)
Eye witness

I was on this flight, sitting in 80K, but it was a light load with plenty of spare full rows for many pax to stretch out. Delay ex SYD was mechanical. A middle-aged female pax became ill as we were flying over Hawai'i, crew put her on O2 and called for any medical practicioners on board, a couple attended her. As announced by captain there was reference to a QF medical advisory/insurance source, and decision made to divert back to HNL. About an hour on the ground, an sick pax was taken off, conscious, and hopefully recovering now. Pretty sure we were at an airbridge, and equipment was on had to remove passenger's baggage. About an hour on the ground. Once it was all over it was nice to overhear CSM thanking his staff and complementing them on job well done. Some pax and at least one cabin crew I talked to were thinking (secretly hoping?) that either flight crew or cabin crew would be out of hours, especially with the 3 hour delay ex SYD, and so we would have to be offloaded, but that didn't eventuate. But with these double delays, many onward connections were affected. And troubles are supposed to come in threes, so when we arrived LAX there were no A380 gates available and we pulled up to a separate external facility with airbridges and then transferred to buses to TBIT.

Throughout all three situations I was really impressed with QF's proactive approach to keeping everyone informed, and at LAX it seemed there were many gound staff stationed at various places to assist. Everything done calmly and competently. Made you feel good to be in their hands.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:53 am

I do not think the response was meant to down play a medical issue but was expecting something of a dramatic nature with the flight itself such as both starboard engines lost or out of Tattinger in First.
Exactly. Sorry to be flippant about it but the majority of any diversions to HNL are medical. Trust me, if it is QF and there is something mechanical, it is on the news everywhere. Medical diversions over the Pacific are pretty common.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Interlude

Throughout all three situations I was really impressed with QF's proactive approach to keeping everyone informed, and at LAX it seemed there were many gound staff stationed at various places to assist. Everything done calmly and competently. Made you feel good to be in their hands.
Good to read and thanks for the report.

I have boarded QF94 (380) at one of the bus gates - it's not much fun.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
I have boarded QF94 (380) at one of the bus gates - it's not much fun.
Ahhhhhh, you mentioned the bus ..
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
Ahhhhhh, you mentioned the bus ..
ahhh . the b*s - fortunately just "before my time" so I don;t have to follow that rule.

You 10 year guys should start thinking about a "Statute of Limitations" in relation to the B*s.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My last trip on CZ A380 from LAX-CAN had a medical emergency. I wondered if we might divert south to HNL (as opposed to turning back to one of the west coast cities). In the end we didn't divert but according to the doctors onboard it was close to requiring a diversion.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by madrooster
In terms of regular scheduled services, yes. No other A380 carrier goes near HNL.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=hnl,syd...cn-lax,can-lax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.