Help with Seats in F on A380

Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
OK, we have 2A and 3A but now I am re-thinking. Would we have a view of Sydney flying in (from LAX) if we sat on the right side (K seats)?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by enzian
OK, we have 2A and 3A but now I am re-thinking. Would we have a view of Sydney flying in (from LAX) if we sat on the right side (K seats)?
Left side seats get the great view of SYD if landing to the South. BUT if landing to the north, then you "only" get a coastal view. Can't predict which way for landing - it's about 50/50 each way (unlike LAX).
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Left Seats are you best bet -the A388 generally only uses 16R or 34L.

If 16R, the left side would have great views of the Sydney Harbour (Bridge, Opera House etc) and CBD on approach, the right side has none. If 34L (from the South) then neither left or right side has any reasonable views of the City.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much! We will stay where we are and hope for a landing on 16R.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG , BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enzian
Thank you so much! We will stay where we are and hope for a landing on 16R.
I find that with the seat in position for landing you are too far away from the window to get a decent view anyway.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I find that with the seat in position for landing you are too far away from the window to get a decent view anyway.
Tail cam would provide some view....
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Tail cam would provide some view....
Not very useful if travelling in F though as from memory they need to be closed for landing.

When the seat is in the forward facing takeoff/landing position it is very hard to see out the window.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
When in F on A380, the monitor remains viewable for landing.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
When in F on A380, the monitor remains viewable for landing.
You're right, my memory is off. I have photos of the tail-cam on scren during landing.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Anyhoo, there 3 or 4 large windows or so to look of from the landing seat position about 2 metres away.

A seats will still give the best chance at a glimpse at the city wafts by on the approach (should it be from the North).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Then best city views will be on take-off to the north (RW 34L) if you are on the right side. In this case, the aircraft usually turns left to about 300 deg (variable) at about 1000' (variable) then a short time later does a lazy right hand turn to the north east. This maximises harbour and city viewing as you climb.

This plan only works for International flights leaving from 34L. Domestics (eg to BNE and MEL) commonly use 34R and turn right rapidly after take-off in which case the left side gets the city views - but the angle of the banking can preclude the best views.

If taking off to the south, you get nothing much at all.

Really, the best seats for viewing are on the lower deck where you are tightly against the window. That means you should sit in the back row of Y .
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Well, since we are stuck with our seats in F we will just have to make do!

Our outbound flight will be to New Zealand (Christchurch). I haven't bought those tickets yet, but we will be in Y there. It sounds like we have a chance of views if we sit on the left side?

Some cities are so beautiful from the air---we love seeing San Francisco and Venice---and I hope to see Sydney this way too!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Best seats for a couple: Ax and Ax+1

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'd read through this thread when choosing seats for two QF F flights. On one leg we were in 2F and 2K, on the other 2A and 3A. One seat in front of the other on the A side is definitely the best option. Either way, one of us had to get up and go over to the other to interact, and the A side feels more private and each seat gets its own overhead bin (the F and K seats share bins).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.