Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrades-- Do miles need to be in your own account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

Or can someone else sponsor a mileage upgrade for you from their account, if they are not flying on the same PNR?

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as the person is an eligable relative , then the relative can request an upgrade for you

QFF has restrictions on who a member can request awards for, but if person meets criteria, then no probs
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Yes, "family members" can request upgrades for other family members on a QF operated flight with a QF PNR. You need to specify a relationship to the other person travelling. I do not know how in reality this is checked or enforced. I have upgraded someone with a non matching surname on a domestic sector without an issue, but I'm thinking it's not something people would want to make a regular habit of it is not a relative/in-law (the list is fairly wide IIRC).

Also the status of the QFF member making the upgrade award gives the priority of the request, so it pays to have a WP Uncle

See: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...domestic#jump4
and http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#jump1

Eligible Family Member' of a Member means any person the Member can demonstrate, to the reasonable satisfaction of Qantas, as being related to that Member in any of the ways described below:

Husband/Wife
Parent/Step-parent
Domestic Partner/De Facto
Child, including foster & step-child
Brother/Sister
Half Brother/Sister
Grandparent
Grandchild
Son/Daughter-in-law
Brother/Sister-in-law
Father/Mother-in-law
Uncle/Aunt
Nephew/Niece
First cousin
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Also the status of the QFF member making the upgrade award gives the priority of the request, so it pays to have a WP Uncle

See: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...domestic#jump4
and http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#jump1
Not quite true as the T&C do not link with what is on the page about upgrading family members.
Upgrading and your Family

If you are travelling with your family, your request will include all passengers in your booking who are eligible family members. If your booking includes passengers other than eligible family members, you will need to contact Qantas Telephone Sales to split the booking and then you will be able to request an upgrade.

If you are not travelling but use your points to request an upgrade for an eligible family member, the upgrade will be awarded according to the eligible family member's priority, not the status of the Qantas Frequent Flyer whose points are being used. An exception is made when Platinum One members, though not travelling, redeem points for an upgrade on behalf of eligible family members. In this case the eligible family members will enjoy the same high priority as a Platinum One member.
International Flight Award Upgrades (qantas.com)

So only PO members, and I guess CL, will have their status transferred over to the "family member".
Of course YMMV but over Chirstmas Mrs Blackcloud non-QFF member did not have her upgrade clear until the gate....but she was told that she was first on the list. I had placed the request 90 days out, there were 5 available seats at the time of request and went down to 1 seat 2 weeks before the flight (very happy to get it...I flew with Little Miss Blackcloud in WHY days before)
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
ah, thanks for the correction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.