Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF15 BNE-LAX Upgrade with points - how likely?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Flying to Los Angeles on a Saturday in May in the morning - just wondering how busy (or not) this route on a weekend usually is?

Pondering the likelihood of whether my upgrade request from Economy to Business will be approved or not.... How long before do they normally give an answer, is it always right before you're due to fly to maximise the likelihood of them actually selling the seat to someone at full cost?

Cheers!
Amy
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:18 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The higher your status, the better the chances. Likewise, with the higher the booking class ( ie ticket cost ). Also, it is suggested that the lead time for your request also plays a part. Upgrades are confirmed from T-24 hrs. Sometimes they clear at the boarding gate ( the magic beep when your Boarding pass is scanned ). There is no consistency with this.

Had you considered requests for PE as well as business?

If you have an ExpertFlyer subscription, you can track availability and hence the chance of different days getting upgrades. Good luck !
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by amythompson62
Pondering the likelihood of whether my upgrade request from Economy to Business will be approved or not.... How long before do they normally give an answer, is it always right before you're due to fly to maximise the likelihood of them actually selling the seat to someone at full cost?
They are confirmed in the days leading up to the flight based on status.
QF will try to sell the seat at full cost if possible.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Alas - lapsed Gold member as of last year ... Is there any way of requesting premium economy as a backup but have Business as the first choice request ?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Yes, that's an option in the "Request Upgrade" part of the website.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Just a comment, I believe that status can perhaps trump fare class for upgrades. eg: as a Platinum/P1 I've had upgrades go through on deep discount I fares to First, which I am sure has probably trumped those below(status wise) on say a D or J. Of course I have no way of actually knowing this, just anecdotal evidence from various experiences over the last few years.

Amy, if you're a lapsed Gold, which I am guessing means you have no status (since you did not indicate Silver), you're going to be at the bottom of the list sadly. Sure, you may well get lucky (Saturday's going East are probably a little better for paid Business demand than say a Monday or Friday, but I wouldn't count on that!). You can check-on line from 24 hours prior to departure until you check-in (it will show, sometimes QF send a text which is often the sweetest beep one gets just before a trip ) or as others say the magic "beep!" as you are boarding which would be an even sweeter beep! ).

I also agree with opting for a shot at Y+ - as upgrades are processed, which will come from Y+ and Y, some late seats may well open up there as people move up a notch. In this respect it may well even be (maybe) worth holding back a few minutes before boarding when Y is called, as some on departure upgrades may be given at the last moment.

good luck!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
The higher your status, the better the chances. Likewise, with the higher the booking class ( ie ticket cost ). Also, it is suggested that the lead time for your request also plays a part. ...
I don't believe lead time pays much if any part in assessing upgrade priority any more. It certainly did once upon a time and was documented so back in 2005 but time of request appears to no longer be a factor.

Certainly Status is the first precursor as this is indeed publicly documented.

I believe after status, one's PCV for the flight is used; this is composed of a mix of factors to represent one's "value" to Qantas. Facets such as fare class, how many QF flights a pax has taken recently/overall may be used.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by serfty
I don't believe lead time pays much if any part in assessing upgrade priority any more. It certainly did once upon a time and was documented so back in 2005 but time of request appears to no longer be a factor.

Certainly Status is the first precursor as this is indeed publicly documented.

I believe after status, one's PCV for the flight is used; this is composed of a mix of factors to represent one's "value" to Qantas. Facets such as fare class, how many QF flights a pax has taken recently/overall may be sed.
I noticed in a blog here three people got updgraded when they had booked the bassinet row. Rather than shuffle people about according to status, they just bumped up those in those seats up. Also saw someone get a big bribe (voucher) to have their child on lap at take off to accommodate first class paseseger (with broken seat belt) in economy - a full plane indeed
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There's always the chance of an ad-hoc 'battlefield' type exception.

Of course this thread is in relation to points upgrades - not operational upgrades.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
In June 2012 we were upgraded on points both ways on QF15/16 from PE. We were both Bronze. Came through day before the flights.

In September 2013 I was in J but flight QF15 was full on a Sunday. On QF16 on way back flight on a Sunday was only 3/4 full in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.