Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF11 Downgraded to 4-Class 747

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ceasy
The basic fact is that I paid (more, incidentally) for a certain product. When that product is substituted out and replaced with an inferior version, irrespective of underlying reason, it is acceptable for customers to be upset. I don't care about the small print -- such legalistic jargon is found everywhere to allow outs for companies.
What other airline would give you what you paid for, and has never had an aircraft substitution? The fine print in this case does serve as an out, but also lists what is most probably a surety. Why? Aircraft break, and do go into maintenance. Fleets change and get upgraded. This is not a once in a blue moon occurrence.

I'm just pointing out that I think you're unreasonable. But I'd like to see if you have a real world example to show otherwise. I could be wrong.

Did you try doing something like this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...L-pyjamas.html

You could have gone down in history as "seat guy"!

Last edited by bmchris; Dec 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Don't think my complaint is analogous to livery or stewardesses. It's a matter of product and for Qantas to resolve, not me. The basic fact is that I paid (more, incidentally) for a certain product. When that product is substituted out and replaced with an inferior version, irrespective of underlying reason, it is acceptable for customers to be upset. I don't care about the small print -- such legalistic jargon is found everywhere to allow outs for companies.
QF is not the only airline to sub old for new. UA has excelled in this for quite a while. AFAIK, QF tickets show service class and where / when you are transported. Yes, it is maddening when it happens, but I think your options for recourse are minimal - unless you change flights.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by moa999
Yes there is a difference in the hard product.
But it is still a large fully flat bed with decent storage.

The main difference is in the IFE - from the old 10" popup with less selection to the 17" swing-arm with Panasonic software

The food and service will be the same.
I suspect if the A380 was full, passengers will have been transferred to the other QF services that departed earlier (eg. QF107)....

Anyway, enjoy the extra 90 minutes in the QF First Lounge, that is probably the best part of it all.
QF only has three 4-class 744s left in its fleet. Does anyone know when these will be retired?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by bmchris
What other airline would give you what you paid for, and has never had an aircraft substitution? The fine print in this case does serve as an out, but also lists what is most probably a surety. Why? Aircraft break, and do go into maintenance. Fleets change and get upgraded. This is not a once in a blue moon occurrence.

I'm just pointing out that I think you're unreasonable. But I'd like to see if you have a real world example to show otherwise. I could be wrong.

Did you try doing something like this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...L-pyjamas.html

You could have gone down in history as "seat guy"!
Earlier this year I took Air Canada from Toronto to Vancouver. They swapped equipment and we were given old business class seats rather than the lie flats that typically serve this particular flight. There were ample apologies for the sub and then a miles credit into my account. Why? Because the airline realized that the substation resulted in an inferior experience.

Another example in a different travel industry -- hotels. Several times I have arrived at a hotel and my reserved room type is not available. Each time there have been numerous apologies and typically some sort of consideration extended.

I think what you fail to see is that this is ultimately a client driven business. If a product is inferior to advertised expectations, the client cares. I cared, that's all.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by og
QF is not the only airline to sub old for new. UA has excelled in this for quite a while. AFAIK, QF tickets show service class and where / when you are transported. Yes, it is maddening when it happens, but I think your options for recourse are minimal - unless you change flights.
Not asking for the impossible. Though frustrating, I agree with you on my options. An apology at some point (or awknowledgement) would have been nice.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:01 pm

It's a matter of product and for Qantas to resolve, not me.
This was your earlier post which is very different in tone from your recent ones.

Last edited by bmchris; Dec 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not asking for the impossible. Though frustrating, I agree with you on my options. An apology at some point (or awknowledgement) would have been nice.
^
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by fly747first
QF only has three 4-class 744s left in its fleet. Does anyone know when these will be retired?
These 747s would not be substituted for the QF7/8 flights, right? It would require a refueling stop at LAX or HNL.

Due to the last minute equipment change, I had to re-purchase the onboard duty free items I had pre-ordered online. When I repaid, I didn't get the 10% discount for ordering online for the first time.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sant
These 747s would not be substituted for the QF7/8 flights, right? It would require a refueling stop at LAX or HNL.

Due to the last minute equipment change, I had to re-purchase the onboard duty free items I had pre-ordered online. When I repaid, I didn't get the 10% discount for ordering online for the first time.
The DFW flights are always operated by 3-class 744s I believe.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:16 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by fly747first
The DFW flights are always operated by 3-class 744s I believe.
QF7/8 is almost always operated by a 747-400ER aircraft. All the -ER aircraft in QF's fleet are 3-class with the refurbished J cabins and Skybed MK-II horizontal beds. There have been a few occasions where a non-ER aircraft has been subbed and that means there will be a scheduled fuel stop along the way. But that is a very rare situation - count on one hand the number of times its happened in the life of the DFW services (the non-ER operation, not the fuel stop which happens sometimes even with an -ER aircraft).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.