Search

Reward Seats QF

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Reward Seats QF

Hello!

I am a BA Exec Club Member and looking to get reward seats on a flight from SYD to HKG. On BA, last minute reward flight availability opens up any time from 14 days before a flight to 24 hours. Can anyone tell me what the normal pattern is with QF?

I specifically want two seats on QF127 on 5th January. Availability currently showing as F7 A2 P0 J5 C2 D0 I0 U0 W0 R0 T0 Z0 Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0 - if this doesn't change significantly, do I stand a chance of getting seats or do I need to start praying for a miracle?!

I am also flexible on routings and could equally fly ex-BNE as I am in Byron Bay for the first few days of January however at the moment availability looks very sparse. I just need to be back in HKG in the evening on 5th January to connect back to LHR with BA. At the moment I am booked BNE to SIN on 4th Jan with QF and onwards with CX on 5th Jan. Ideally I want to fly directly from Oz on 5th Jan to HKG so that I get an extra night in Byron Bay.

Any inspiration or guidance from experienced QF flyers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No, QF does not follow the same pattern as BA releasing awards last minute.

The QF Upgrade system works differently to BA's. Members apply for an upgrade and in the days leading up to the flight upgrades are processed. They do not come from award inventory.

So remaining availability is usually used for upgrading rather than released as award seats.

CX100 currently has 2 Premium Economy seats.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
No, QF does not follow the same pattern as BA releasing awards last minute.

The QF Upgrade system works differently to BA's. Members apply for an upgrade and in the days leading up to the flight upgrades are processed. They do not come from award inventory.

So remaining availability is usually used for upgrading rather than released as award seats.

thank you. I guess I will stick to my current routing in that case and keep my fingers crossed CX opens up from either BNE, SYD or MEL in J...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jamesjebell
Hello!

I am a BA Exec Club Member and looking to get reward seats on a flight from SYD to HKG. On BA, last minute reward flight availability opens up any time from 14 days before a flight to 24 hours. Can anyone tell me what the normal pattern is with QF?

I specifically want two seats on QF127 on 5th January. Availability currently showing as F7 A2 P0 J5 C2 D0 I0 U0 W0 R0 T0 Z0 Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0 - if this doesn't change significantly, do I stand a chance of getting seats or do I need to start praying for a miracle?!

I am also flexible on routings and could equally fly ex-BNE as I am in Byron Bay for the first few days of January however at the moment availability looks very sparse. I just need to be back in HKG in the evening on 5th January to connect back to LHR with BA. At the moment I am booked BNE to SIN on 4th Jan with QF and onwards with CX on 5th Jan. Ideally I want to fly directly from Oz on 5th Jan to HKG so that I get an extra night in Byron Bay.

Any inspiration or guidance from experienced QF flyers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
as nux said - virtually no chance I would have thought of this flight opening up award space. The flight looks like it might be oversold in economy, and any upgrade requests will not have been processed at this stage. Any spare capacity will likely be gone well before 5 Jan.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Try an indirect route, MH via KUL or JL via NRT.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:23 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Availability currently showing as F7 A2 P0 J5 C2 D0 I0 U0 W0 R0 T0 Z0 Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0 - if this doesn't change significantly, do I stand a chance of getting seats or do I need to start praying for a miracle?!
That is looking way too full to have any chance of any awards being released between now and departure day.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Reward Seats QF

Thanks everyone, appreciate your help
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
How about QF 16
J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R5 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K5 M0 L0 G0 E0

Currently have 2 econ seats award seats, looking for two award biz seats.. flight is in 13 days. As oneworld emerald on AA has anyone had any success with calling Qantas and asking them to release business seats
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by valuepac
How about QF 16
J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R5 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K5 M0 L0 G0 E0

Currently have 2 econ seats award seats, looking for two award biz seats.. flight is in 13 days. As oneworld emerald on AA has anyone had any success with calling Qantas and asking them to release business seats
Qantas FFers have the ability (based on status) to request the release of award inventory - but that is by no means guaranteed.

This benefit is not extended to partner FF members.

As an AA elite, any request would need to be made via the AA call centre, not through QF direct.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX has 4 flights a day compared to QF's 1 on the SYD route.

But they aren't very generous with availability either save for the Premium Economy treasure trove - but they don't show avaialbility correctly on BA.com or even on CX.com all the time for the matter - I normally phone up CX MPO for the seats.

Oh you given us dates - 5 Jan
I just called MPO for you

"Mr. Smith, not only are there no redemption seats on any of the four flights on 5 Jan, there aren't even many revenue seats available now."

Nothing on QF either (I'm QF Bronze also). This is the day they really get to fill up the whale.

Not surprising, HK schoolchildren should return to school the next day http://www.cis.edu.hk/calendars/inde...otDate=01+2014. Probably PRC schools too as HKG is increasingly a transit stop for mainland travellers.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:34 am
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nux
Not per MPO (I'm GR). How did you find the two seats and can you see whether it's still there?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:33 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by percysmith
Not per MPO (I'm GR). How did you find the two seats and can you see whether it's still there?
They were there yesterday, gone now.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Looking at the part I have bolded, I would say that you have absolutely NO chance, the flight is already oversold in the Y and W cabins, the chances of award availability opening up is zero, IME.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.