Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Why did QF94 come through BNE 8th Dec

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum

I am outside working in the garden and look up to see a Qantas A380 fly overhead. I am on the flight path for trans Tasman flights coming into BNE, so use to seeing the Emirates come in at 3000 feet above me as well as other large planes but I have never seen a Qantas A380 come in before.

Looking at the Qantas web site QF94 which normally goes LAX to MEL, was scheduled to fly LAX-BNE-MEL, but left LAX 5 hours late. But QF16 the scheduled LAX-BNE 747 flight left on time.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are severe disruptions in DFW with weather. As a wild guess possibly something to do the DFW-BNE flight. Is that flight on time ?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Apparently it was something to do with a crew hours issue
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: QFF
Did something happen at LAX on the 6th?

The QF site shows that LAX-MEL (2330-1020+2) was cancelled and replaced by LAX-BNE-MEL.
Left the gate at 0458, took off at 0520, landed BNE 1232, arrived gate 1240, spent an hour at BNE before heading to MEL. Arriving 1740.

There may have been a technical problem taking around 4 hours to fix. Then the crew would have timed out, so they went to BNE where a new crew met them before continuing to MEL.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines,Aegean
I was on that flight, we were held captive for over 5 hrs after suffering two aborted takeoffs due to some navigational instrument failure that was apparently disabled so we could finally take off . Ended up that we were in the aircraft for 24 hrs straight ! Instead of reaching Melbourne at 9.30am we arrived at about 5.30pm without a lunch having being provided just a snack. Love Qantas , but in this case it was a crappy experience
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:40 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by roomer
I was on that flight, we were held captive for over 5 hrs after suffering two aborted takeoffs due to some navigational instrument failure that was apparently disabled so we could finally take off . Ended up that we were in the aircraft for 24 hrs straight ! Instead of reaching Melbourne at 9.30am we arrived at about 5.30pm without a lunch having being provided just a snack. Love Qantas , but in this case it was a crappy experience
So would you have preferred that they took off with indications of faulty navigation equipment? Would you prefer they delayed even longer while arranging for additional meals to be loaded? How exactly do you suggest they could have made the experience less "crappy" for you?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by NM
So would you have preferred that they took off with indications of faulty navigation equipment? Would you prefer they delayed even longer while arranging for additional meals to be loaded? How exactly do you suggest they could have made the experience less "crappy" for you?
Maybe they could have held at BNE for even 20-30 mins more and catered lunch.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:49 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Himeno
Maybe they could have held at BNE for even 20-30 mins more and catered lunch.
How much notice is required to provide the catering suppliers to obtain an A380 load of meals? Quite likely more than the 15 or so hours notice QF had that the flight was going to be routing via BNE. I would not be assuming such volume of meals would be available without some reasonable amount of lead time. I guess they could have sent out for a few Subway catering packs??
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
The other thought is that even if they had been able to get SOME catering.. the time to service the a/c (and QF may not be set up to service a 380 at BNE anyway) would be more than they would want to keep that a/c on the ground for, as they would have wanted it back in MEL promto due to the follow on delays of wherever that AC was supposed to go next (maybe QF9 to DXB?).

Plus at the point of arriving in BNE, your pax probably care less about food, and more about just getting there, a snack would be enough I would think, though some decent compensation would also be due I imagine. Nasty situation.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
as they would have wanted it back in MEL promto due to the follow on delays of wherever that AC was supposed to go next (maybe QF9 to DXB?).
Looks like QF9 (8 DEC) departed MEL with a 4 hour delay. It just arrived in LHR.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
(maybe QF9 to DXB?).

Plus at the point of arriving in BNE, your pax probably care less about food, and more about just getting there, a snack would be enough I would think, though some decent compensation would also be due I imagine. Nasty situation.
Given the late arrival into MEL, it would possibly have an impact on crew hours for the QF9 MEL-DXB crew as well so doing without catering for the BNE-MEL leg may have been a better idea than running out of crew hours for MEL-DXB.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
Yes it was crew hours after tech difficulties; I saw it arrive and actually pulled over on Airport Drive to watch the spectacle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.