Upgrades on Qantas as AA EXP?

Old Nov 14, 13, 8:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Posts: 194
Upgrades on Qantas as AA EXP?

Hello,

I am looking at booking LAX-SYD-LAX and perhaps nested within it an SYD-MEL-SYD itinerary. I have some rather basic questions that I was hoping to get some help with.

1) I am an AA EXP which I believe will not get me any upgrades on Qantas flights, correct?

2) If I buy a flight on Qantas and have the miles credited for AA, am I eligible for upgrades?

3) What are the options for upgrading? Miles is the only method?

4) Are all economy classes eligible for mileage upgrades? Are upgrades good from Economy to Premium Economy, Business and/or First?

5) Can someone else use their miles to upgrade me?

Thank you very much
family friend is offline  
Old Nov 14, 13, 11:57 am
  #2  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 14,102
When you talk about upgrades as an AA EXP, you are talking about complimentary upgrades, correct?
Of course you are eligable for them, however they very rarely happen on QF. I have never been upgraded ever on an internatinal flight, chances for this to happen are slim. Where you are crediting your miles to will make little difference.

Upgrading with Miles is not the only method, the main one is to buy up to fare in the cabin you want to fly in. If that is not an option, upgrading with QFF points is a possiblity. Eligable booking classes are explained here: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...-international

As far as I know AA Miles can't be used to upgrade on QF flights, only on AA, BA and IB. And yes, somebody else can use their QFF points to upgrade you as long as they are eligable family members. So if you have a cousin who has the points, she can try to upgrade you as well.
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 14, 13, 3:15 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,924
As above if you at asking about using QF points,AA miles or an AA SWU, etc
Originally Posted by family friend View Post
I am looking at booking LAX-SYD-LAX and perhaps nested within it an SYD-MEL-SYD itinerary. I have some rather basic questions that I was hoping to get some help with.

1) I am an AA EXP which I believe will not get me any upgrades on Qantas flights, correct?
AA EXP does not get you an upgrade. Either free complementary or by using AA miles/SWU

Originally Posted by family friend View Post
2) If I buy a flight on Qantas and have the miles credited for AA, am I eligible for upgrades?
Makes no difference as you are very very unlikley to get a free operational upgrade

Originally Posted by family friend View Post
3) What are the options for upgrading? Miles is the only method?
QF points if eligible
Credit card works: pay the fare difference (100% guaranteed to work if a seat is available)

Originally Posted by family friend View Post
4) Are all economy classes eligible for mileage upgrades? Are upgrades good from Economy to Premium Economy, Business and/or First?
No. Low cost fares are not eligible to be upgraded with QF points

Originally Posted by family friend View Post
5) Can someone else use their miles to upgrade me?
Yes. A QFF member can use his/her points to apply for an upgrade for a family member on QF flight number. Not possible with an AA codeshare on QF flight.


The QF upgrade system is a lottery. You submit a request and it may or may not be granted in the few hours before departure. QF will fly with empty seats in first, business & premium economy.

For some QF flights an AA award with AA miles is less than the QF points needed for an upgrade

You should expect to fly in class you buy. Other than airlines from the USA, this is way most airlines operate. Free or miles upgrades are not an entitlement due to status.

Operational upgrades are not common with QF. Anyway you, as AA Exp, will be well down the list of possible upgraders.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 15, 13 at 7:05 am Reason: spelling
Mwenenzi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: