Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Problems with OW lounge access with new QF Status/Cash cards?

Problems with OW lounge access with new QF Status/Cash cards?

Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Question Problems with OW lounge access with new QF Status/Cash cards?

Hi everyone,
I currently have my (still valid) QF WP card (older design), and the newly issued QF WP status/Mastercard cash card which QF mailed out to Australian QFF members.
Obviously there will be no problems showing the card for entry into any QF operated lounges in Australia or overseas. But I wonder what happens if one is accessing a OneWorld airline/EK lounge in some remote station where the lounge agent would have to refer to photographs of the various QF cards? I sure hope that the lounge agent would have the photos of the updated design. I assume that QFF with status overseas are still being mailed out the QFF cards of the older design?
My last time when I was using the SIN EK lounge, the lounge agent fished out a chart with the various QF card designs and at that time I had the older QF WP card.
Has anyone had any negative experience overseas where our Australian QFF status/Mastercard cash card is rejected by an outstation non-QF Oneworld or EK because it did not look like the pictures of what they have on their chart?
I am travelling overseas soon and I would rather just take one of my QF WP card (the cash card version), rather than both since too many cards will make my travel wallet bulky.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:49 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
at the HNL QP, the very, very old and frail AA lounge dragon (in QF uniform) said "I haven't seen one of these yet...."

Before proceeding to mark us on the paper as QF J pax even though were on JQ in J.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
The cards have the Qantas branding and the OneWorld Emerald/Sapphire logo. I doubt you'd have troubles accessing any OneWorld lounge that you are otherwise entitled to access.

Non OneWorld operated Lounges at stations where there is no QF Lounge might be an issue insofar as the lounge staff can't exactly call the QF Lounge and ask confirmation.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
LAX AC/QC certainly didn't mind my QF Cash card.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
The main part of the card still looks pretty similar (unless you have the white PlatOne card) so wouldn't expect any issues.

It has a valid date and the oneworld logo so would expect you to be ok
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
at the HNL QP, the very, very old and frail AA lounge dragon (in QF uniform) said "I haven't seen one of these yet...."
She has been there more than 25 years.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
So you have had no problems. The title then is misleading.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:49 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Limewood
She has been there more than 25 years.
Except it was a he....
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
So you have had no problems. The title then is misleading.
I have not had any problems yet because I had been using the older WP card when travelling in Y for lounge access. The title is not misleading because I had the question marks. I was asking the question since for my next trip in Y with both EK and QF, I am planning on taking my new WP card with the cash card and I do not wish to be denied lounge access at some outstation because the outstation non-QF/EK/3rd party lounge agents do not have a picture of the new QF status/cash card on their charts.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by igel
I have not had any problems yet because I had been using the older WP card when travelling in Y for lounge access. The title is not misleading because I had the question marks. I was asking the question since for my next trip in Y with both EK and QF, I am planning on taking my new WP card with the cash card and I do not wish to be denied lounge access at some outstation because the outstation non-QF/EK/3rd party lounge agents do not have a picture of the new QF status/cash card on their charts.
Very few 3rd party lounges actually need to be shown a card, most of the time a boarding pass showing oneworld Emerald is fine.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
I have the same problems with my Lufthansa *G card. As German resident you get a free credit card that is as well your FF-Card. It is a normal Master Card with additional *G and FF-Number printed on the card.

No problems in LH-Land.

With third party lounges I have problems on rare occasions:

"Sir this is not a frequent flyer card - this is a credit card"

Payed lounges just wipe your card and you pay the entrance fee.

I am not 100% sure about fraud if I hand over my credit card to a weird person in a weird country. So for those cases I got a 2nd card from LH - they did understand the reasons. I am perfectly happy with most of my travels but if I travel on other *A airlines or dodgy countries I just take my plan FF-Card.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I'll find out in a few days when I pass through AA@LAX, but I suspect it can't really be an issue, and I have the WP1 white card, which is a big difference to the older design/scheme.

- card has QF branding, expiry date and OW status logo
- BP will (or SHOULD) also confirm emerald or saphire status

so I doubt it would be a real issue, but hey they can call QF to confirm if it's really a concern.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can't speak for OneWorld, but Star Alliance publish a small booklet (used to be a physical book, I think it's just PDF now) that contains all of the valid/current *A cards. It's updated whenever there's a change to any of the airlines cards.

A current copy of this book is supposed to be available at the lounge, so that they can confirm a card is valid in case there's any doubt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.