Community
Wiki Posts
Search

baggage and Jetstar!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
What happens if you make a dummy booking now? If it shows what you saw before you booked, it would be good evidence that you did see what you say you saw.
I thought of it, but if my current itinerary that says 2 pieces all the way through isnt enough proof, then a dummy booking that shows exactly the same thing sure as hell wont be. Plus, if i did that and it didnt work, then id be up for the hundreds in excess. I cant afford that risk.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I don't see where you get the assumption that the MSC's allowance will usually be the allowance that benefits the passenger. The rule's got nothing to do with common sense or acting in a way preferable to customers. It's simply an arbitrary rule to determine which allowance applies.

Take this itinerary, for example: HKG-DXB on CX, then DXB-LHR on BA - in business class.

CX is the MSC, as it's the first carrier crossing from one IATA area to another (3 to 2).

CX's business class allowance is 30 kg. BA's business class allowance is 3 bags x 23 kg each = 69 kg. (BA has a further non-contractual policy waiver which I believe is irrelevant to this discussion.)

The MSC rule means that CX's allowance applies to the whole HKG-DXB-LHR trip.

How does this benefit the passenger? It's as arbitrary as the result in your case.

If you wanted to put in place a rule that truly benefited the passenger, it would be that on any through ticket, the highest allowance of any carrier on the journey applies - or, perhaps, even the highest allowance of any carrier on any sector on the entire ticket (or set of conjunction tickets).

But that is not the rule that's in place.
I can see your point. 2 different international flights and the more significant in terms of distance has the less.

It just proves how F*cked up the whole system is and if i were the business class passenger id be annoyed. However, if i were a business passenger then 1/ im probably not paying for the flight 2/ if i am paying i can probably write it off or 3/ im loaded and the excess baggage charge is like pocket change!

Taking the highest on any itinerary, provided you stay within class, would make sense and avoid many, many, many disputes. All im saying.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jimoz1
I thought of it, but if my current itinerary that says 2 pieces all the way through isnt enough proof, then a dummy booking that shows exactly the same thing sure as hell wont be.
The point is to show QF that you were misled by what its website said before you booked the flight. For the reasons explained already, there's a world of difference between the merit of a complaint that you were given duff information before you booked the ticket, and a complaint that you were given duff information but only after you'd already booked the ticket.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
aking the highest on any itinerary, provided you stay within class, would make sense and avoid many, many, many disputes.
And you'd find very many people who'd agree with you.

But while we have the system that we have - MSC for some trips, DOT for other trips - neither is obviously better or more sensible than the other. There'll be winners and losers under both rules.

Unfortunately, in the case of your trip, you happen to be a loser under the actual rules applicable to your trip (leaving aside the question of whether you were misled before you booked).
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

The point is to show QF that you were misled by what its website said before you booked the flight. For the reasons explained already, there's a world of difference between the merit of a complaint that you were given duff information before you booked the ticket, and a complaint that you were given duff information but only after you'd already booked the ticket.
sorry, i thought you meant showing them at the jetstar desk.

Well, when i fly in to adelaide in a few weeks, ill have my pc/tablet so i might visit the jetstar and qantas sales/info desks, try and get it sorted there rather than making phone calls.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
sorry, i thought you meant showing them at the jetstar desk.

Well, when i fly in to adelaide in a few weeks, ill have my pc/tablet so i might visit the jetstar and qantas sales/info desks, try and get it sorted there rather than making phone calls.
If you do get confirmation when trying this (and you want to ensure that confirmation is applied) get them to update the notes of your booking with that confirmation. That way when you actually check in, if the person checking you in has a difference view, there will be Qantas/Jetstar confirmed notes in the booking that you can point out (I.e. "Look, its already been confirmed, your interpretation is not correct") .

Saying "Well some at the sales desk told me X when I asked 6 weeks ago" will not get you very far most times.....But confirmation in the booking is hard for them to argue (but some may anyway)
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by savitar
If you do get confirmation when trying this (and you want to ensure that confirmation is applied) get them to update the notes of your booking with that confirmation.
I will do that, for sure.
When i rang qantas the first time, the lady said she'll put a note on the booking but when i rang back, they didnt know about it. When i asked the next lady to email me confirmation, she sent me the most simple itinerary with no valuable info at all... So yes, ill also ask for some visual confirmation, again.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
I will do that, for sure.
When i rang qantas the first time, the lady said she'll put a note on the booking but when i rang back, they didnt know about it. When i asked the next lady to email me confirmation, she sent me the most simple itinerary with no valuable info at all... So yes, ill also ask for some visual confirmation, again.
Well that is better than the guy at Qantas when I rang. I asked him to email me the confirmation of weight allowance and he said "We don't have the ability to email externally"! Good luck, let us know how it goes....^
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Moved some BA related posts into the BA forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...allowance.html [/mod hat]
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Moved some BA related posts into the BA forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...allowance.html [/mod hat]
Yes: well done ^
Thread was going off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.