FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Qantas getting tough on carry-on? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1507487-qantas-getting-tough-carry.html)

MilesDependent Sep 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Qantas getting tough on carry-on?

Anyone heard anything about this?

At Qantas, we continue to explore ways we can improve the experience for our corporate customers travelling across the Domestic network.

In response to customer demand for an even more seamless boarding and in-cabin experience, during October, Qantas will be reminding customers travelling on Domestic flights departing from Sydney Domestic T3 about the importance of adhering to our generous Carry-on Baggage allowance. Qantas staff will be available to assist customers in T3 to check-in excess Carry-on Baggage in an effort to improve the punctuality, safety and comfort of flights for our customers.

Carry-on Baggage allowances for Domestic flights are outlined on qantas.com. Any excess baggage will need to be checked-in. Greater emphasis on streamlining the boarding process will ensure our flights continue to depart on time and further strengthen Qantas' industry-leading record in on-time performance.

Dave Noble Sep 29, 2013 11:53 pm

I hadn't, but if Qantas is actually going to properly enforce carry on restrictions, that is def a good thing imo

TheInvisibleHand Sep 30, 2013 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 21527279)
I hadn't, but if Qantas is actually going to properly enforce carry on restrictions, that is def a good thing imo

I second that motion (notion), and especially for 737 flights.

justin_krusty Sep 30, 2013 4:52 am

+3 .

og Sep 30, 2013 6:48 am

They wouldn't need to if they replaced the 763 overhead bins with modern sized bins. (avoiding comment on the cramped 737s)

Notwithstanding, I just wonder how many carry-on wheelie bags are actually under the 7 kg limit? My guess is close to zero.

Lonely Flyer Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

There is a strong case for carry on bags. OT a bit but I lent my brand new four wheel bag to my daughter and Jetstar broke it. They are now on my hate list along with SQ and UA as destroyers of my property.

Dave Noble Sep 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer (Post 21530796)
There is a strong case for carry on bags.

There is no case imo for carry on bags which are not in compliance with the rules

vecta Sep 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Plus 4! Here's hoping they actually enforce this rule.

Lonely Flyer Sep 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 21530860)
There is no case imo for carry on bags which are not in compliance with the rules

The point I was trying to get across was not oversize carry on is okay but that with baggage handlers breaking your checked luggage if you can manage to travel with a carry on(within approved limits) only you are going to be better off.

Dave Noble Sep 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer (Post 21531799)
The point I was trying to get across was not oversize carry on is okay but that with baggage handlers breaking your checked luggage if you can manage to travel with a carry on(within approved limits) only you are going to be better off.

It is rare for bags to get damaged and on the rare occasions I have had bags damaged they have been repaired free of charge or a replacement bag/reimbursement has been provided

I do keep my carry on bags within the allowance ( if I need larger amounts , I check luggage in) and I am pleased if QF is going to properly enforce it and hope that the other carriers here do the same

kpc Sep 30, 2013 6:50 pm

I much prefer J*'s carryon policy of one 115cm bag up to 10kg (http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/plannin...rry-on-baggage) than QF's carryon policy of one 115cm bag up to 7 kg or two 105cm bags up to 7 kg each (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump0). My carryon is usually ONE 105cm bag at ~10kg. So technically if travelling QF, I would have to take 3 kgs out and carry it separately eg in a laundry bag:rolleyes:

og Sep 30, 2013 7:46 pm

The mug punter will always be cynical given the disparity between different carry on limits. The old argument about overhead bin weight carrying limits mean nothing when USA airlines effectively have no weight limits.

Lonely Flyer Oct 1, 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 21531832)
It is rare for bags to get damaged and on the rare occasions I have had bags damaged they have been repaired free of charge or a replacement bag/reimbursement has been provided

I do keep my carry on bags within the allowance ( if I need larger amounts , I check luggage in) and I am pleased if QF is going to properly enforce it and hope that the other carriers here do the same

I wrote to SQ and they agreed to pay. Cheque is in the mail. This was 4 years ago. Mail out of SIN is very slow. Bag was also brand new and of solid construction.

UA did not even acknowledge my complaint.

JQ why bother.

harryhv Oct 1, 2013 1:14 am

FT has long lists of things in which Qantas could invest extra resources, starting with the broken web page.

Hiring busybodies to stuff around the gate area bailing up people with heavy-looking hand baggage, that's not on the list.

And it raises grave fears that QF will downgrade itself to match Virgin's checked-bag-fees and eagle-eyed spotters of oversize-carry-on.

Dave Noble Oct 1, 2013 1:28 am

Originally Posted by harryhv (Post 21533194)
FT has long lists of things in which Qantas could invest extra resources, starting with the broken web page.

Hiring busybodies to stuff around the gate area bailing up people with heavy-looking hand baggage, that's not on the list.

And it raises grave fears that QF will downgrade itself to match Virgin's checked-bag-fees and eagle-eyed spotters of oversize-carry-on.

Stopping people taking oversized/overweight cabin baggage is a good use of time imo - especially the size and quantity of pieces as people seem to be trying to get more towards kitchen sink hand luggage due to being farrrr to important to wait 10 mins for luggage on arrival