Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas getting tough on carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I can confirm this is not a QF problem.

I've just boarded an IB intra-EU flight on an A320 and the problem is just as bad.

I was last to board and I was still held standing at the airbridge for 13 minutes waiting for other passengers to store their rolls boards (again, I am the only pax who didn't seem to have one).

At one point I saw crew carry two carry-ons with off the plane and onto the airbridge. Does that mean the bags weren't gonna fly on this flight?

After I was seated (in J), the FA asked if I wanted to store my backpack in my overhead compartment and when I indicated I was happier with the backpack under my feet, took the suitcases back and put them over my head.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
At one point I saw crew carry two carry-ons with off the plane and onto the airbridge. Does that mean the bags weren't gonna fly on this flight?
That usually means they will be put in the hold by the ground crew, along with any buggies/strollers [which are handled in this manner as standard].
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:18 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
After I was seated (in J), the FA asked if I wanted to store my backpack in my overhead compartment and when I indicated I was happier with the backpack under my feet, took the suitcases back and put them over my head.
I'm impressed that the FAs saved overhead room for you.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:05 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by og
I'm impressed that the FAs saved overhead room for you.
This was IB J overhead space. The two rollaboards were from Y. I'm not sure what QF practice is (never travelled in anything but Y on QF tho I'm trying to score a HK-SYD redemption on QF J) but I'd be pretty pissed if Y carryons crossed the J divider before all J pax had an opportunity to store their carryons.

The equipment was an A320 so no seperate cabin for J. In fact the hardware is more or less the same as Y except for divider, middle seats kept empty and meals included (seems like Y have to pay for food and drinks).
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Is QF enforcing the 7kg carryon limit on transpac flights in either J or F cabins? The weight of my empty carryon luggage is a few kilos.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Sant
Is QF enforcing the 7kg carryon limit on transpac flights in either J or F cabins? The weight of my empty carryon luggage is a few kilos.
A recent SYD-AKL flight in J had no interest in weighing my 2 carry-ons. Both were within size limits but both each slightly over 7 kgs. I (we) acted as though the bags were filled with feathers. No issues, no interest.

Now, if the bags looked big and heavy, then that may have been a different matter.

And, being on a 738, bin space was at a premium and late-comers bags were found a home by the fantastic FAs.

Unrelated, but I have just done a JJ flight (CNF-SSA) - a 320 that was about 80% full. It took between 10 and 15 min to load the aircraft. JJ have a 1 carry-on policy (not enforced). Oh how easy it is with minimum carry-ons.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There has been a recent report on AFF that Qantas were checking bags at TBIT recently: (http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...lax-55958.html)

Originally Posted by FlyboyAl

Flew out on fri nite from LAX on QF12. About 30 mins before calling boarding there were PA announcements in the lounge about size and weight of carry on baggage and if the bags were too big/heavy, they would be checked at the gate.
One of the QF staff then pulled a baggage check stand out into the middle of the boarding lane and passengers sort of queued up at it to check their bags. I only heard the announcement twice, but it got people moving.
Within half an hour they had about 20 bags stacked behind them to be checked, and some rather "angry" passengers because of it.
The stand was removed about 10 mjins before boarding was called, but I noticed as I passed through they had caught another guy with a bloody suitcase, rather than carry on and he was also getting unhappy as I walked past.
So if you are traveling, be aware if you are not within the rules.
By the way, the "new" LAX departure area looks fantastic with shops, food outlets (no, not all McDonalds!) and more - really looks great
Whether that would be ongoing or just a short term thing - who knows.. ?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
There has been a recent report on AFF that Qantas were checking bags at TBIT recently: (http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...lax-55958.html)

Whether that would be ongoing or just a short term thing - who knows.. ?
Thanks for the link. I'll just have to redistribute some more items to either the checked baggage or my messenger bag. I can't take the chance that a 1kg overage would be allowed as I keep some clothing in my carryon in case my checked bag fails to arrive with my flight.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:42 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
And remember that many international terminals in Australia weigh carry-ons before security screening. In that case its not Qantas doing the enforcement, but airport security personnel and they target all passengers equally - though seem to offer a little more scope for premium cabin passengers if they see an Express card in hand.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:45 pm

On my return, I plan to check all my luggage and just carry a messenger bag to the plane. Unfortunately, my emptied FAA-regulated carryon weighs a little over 6kg. If 7.3kg causes the bag to be checked, c'est la vie. Fortunately, I have travel insurance in case my bags are delayed and need to purchase emergency clothing.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
On my return, I plan to check all my luggage and just carry a messenger bag to the plane. Unfortunately, my emptied FAA-regulated carryon weighs a little over 6kg. If 7.3kg causes the bag to be checked, c'est la vie. Fortunately, I have travel insurance in case my bags are delayed and need to purchase emergency clothing.
.3 of a kilo won't be a problem I've had the bag checkers weigh it at 10kg and they just ask 'do you have a laptop in there?' and i nod and they just allow it.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:10 am
NM

I am curious as to what an "FAA-regulated carryon" might be?? As far as I am aware, the FAA does not set any carry-on baggage size or weight limits. Each FAA-egulated airline operator must have an approved baggage allowance program and is required to enforce their own limits as defined in their approved baggage limits program. But the limits are defined by the operator, not by the FAA.

Now the TSA does set some baggage limits for the screening process in the USA. But that is separate and independent of the airline operator's FAA-approved baggage limits program.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...ia/acob211.rtf states:
a. Section 121.589(a) of the FAR states that an operator may not allow the boarding of carry-on baggage unless each passenger’s baggage has been scanned to control the size and amount carried on board in accordance with an approved carry-on baggage program. Additionally, no passenger may board an airplane if his/her carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage allowance prescribed in the operator’s approved program.
This implies to me that the carry-on size limits for airlines that fall under US Government FAA controls are determined by the airline and not by the FAA. The FAA approves the airline's carry-on baggage program, but the airline defines and enforces it.

The same FAA information is available at the FAA site.

So what are the weight and dimension limits for an "FAA-regulated carryon"?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by NM
I am curious as to what an "FAA-regulated carryon" might be?? As far as I am aware, the FAA does not set any carry-on baggage size or weight limits. Each FAA-egulated airline operator must have an approved baggage allowance program and is required to enforce their own limits as defined in their approved baggage limits program. But the limits are defined by the operator, not by the FAA.
When I began flying in the 90s, the carryon size limit was ~26in. By the end of the 90s, it was reduced to the current 24in. As all the airlines which I flew dropped to the new limit, I was under the impression the FAA set the maximum size.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:32 am
NM

When I began flying in the 90s, the carryon size limit was ~26in. By the end of the 90s, it was reduced to the current 24in. As all the airlines which I flew dropped to the new limit, I was under the impression the FAA set the maximum size.
Most USA-based airlines do not set any weight limits for carry-on bags. The most common limits used by USA-based airlines seems to be a total linear dimension of 45 inches (115cm), with limits of length (22 inches), depth (14 inches) and height (9 inches). These are the same maximum linear dimensions defined by Qantas for most of its international flights. However Qantas also defines a weight limit of 7kg. The weight limit is an airline-specific limit and not a limit imposed by any regulatory authority as can be seen by the different limits used by different airlines operating on the same routes.

This, of course, makes it interesting when some Australian international airport terminals impose carry-on bag weighing before entering security screening (common at BNE and MEL and possibly other airports). I don't know if the airport security staff doing the weighing take into account each airline's different carry-on baggage weight limits or if they just impose a universal limit across all carriers.

In my experience, even flying Qantas, the airport security personnel weighing carry-on bags prior to security screening will usually allow up to 10kg, especially for someone carrying an express departures card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.