Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas getting tough on carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That is not what I said.
But you responded directly to my quote about falling items.....so indirectly that is what it appeared you were saying.

Adding a statistic about deaths from aircraft crashes when we are talking about falling bags does not seem very logical...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by seat_4D
The issue (IMO) is that in the late 90's some carried on but most didnt (perhaps baggage handlers were good at their jobs back then) but now everyone carries on. A 737-800 such as the one that carried me today, from my seat in 4D forward of the row was room for 1 or 2 bags total, then the next full sized bin covers 2 rows. You are trying to cram bags for 6 into space for 3.

I noticed this in my recent refresher domestic trip on a 738:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ive-years.html

Originally Posted by percysmith
Surprising the domestic 738s have insufficient bin storage - to the extent our outbound domestic was delayed for it. Everyone had a rollaboard - the captain had to come on the PA to say everyone (except me and SO) has made full use of the carry-on allowance so FAs are still trying to find empty space for all rollaboards. I'd expect this on LCCs with their paid-for checked-in baggage allowance, but QF includes allowance in all fares (checked with neighbour). Not so much an issue on the larger 332.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by savitar
Adding a statistic about deaths from aircraft crashes when we are talking about falling bags does not seem very logical...
You wanted to know the scale of the problem, for example whether it might amount to three injuries a year worldwide.

I pointed out that airline injuries would amount to more than a thousand a year.

And I had already said that the number one cause of injury is items falling out of overheads.

If you choose to read that as "a thousand people a year are injured by items falling out of overheads", there is not much more that I can do about that.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
In broad terms, the number killed in airline accidents is a little under a thousand a year. Many more people are injured than are killed, as you would expect.
Sorry but you are clutching at straws here. Please read what you typed. I never asked how many are killed in "accidents" I was talking about how many are killed by falling objects, which you did not respond to, just a random made up number.

Many more are injured than killed, sure.....makes sense, I wonder how many are injured by paper cuts or burning their lips on hot coffee???

Where are your industry proven statistics on the number of people killed and / or injured by falling objects? And your statistics on weight vs injury to prove your point....

Sorry but just making random comments does not help the situation....
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I won't take sides here, but simply point out that the inside of most, if not all, overhead baggage bins have a max weight specified for the particular bin.

The weight limit will be based on whatever the restraint standards are for this kind of baggage system, perhaps up to 4-6g. So, if a bin specifies a maximum weight of, say, 70kg for a 6-seat block (2 rows of 3 seats), but is actually loaded to 140kg, then it will fail below the design g loading.

The manufacturer is only concered that the aircraft operator complies with this (to ensure that the aircraft is operated within its certification issed by the national airworthiness authority).

It will be up to each operator to determine how it will comply - most commonly, this is usually by a per pax weight, and so around 10kg for the scenario above works. No doubt there are assumptions about the % of pax who actually stick stuff up there.

If the baseline assumptions are incorrect or not adhered to, then one day it is likely that something like a severe in-flight turbulence event will cause a section of overhead bins to fail, and likely cause injury as a result of the failure, and in addition to other injuries suffered by pax who happne to be unsecure at the time.

Of course, such instances are relatively rare and in the absence of such evidence, human nature is to push our luck if we are informed, or are simply uninformed/unthinking on this kind of stuff. Many of do this every day when driving at say 120km/hr instead of 100km/hr. Most simply don't recognise that the 20% increase in speed is a 44% increase in energy, a significant additional amount to be dissapated in the event of a crash......

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 1, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Economy_Gold
I very much welcome the new "policing" of the limits. I do not see any reason why in Australia I should have to leave the lounge before the final boarding call just to find space for my hand luaggage due to some early boarding passengers filling the space.

I do not want to end up as in the US where the elite flyers are basically forced to board first if they want to find space for their hand luaggage!
It is up to you how you approach the issue. Row 4 and Exit Rows on peak routes of 737 aircraft are dominated by high tier pax and those pax will (it appears) generally favour carry on. So as a WP flying Y you will be seated in and around your peers. If there are 156 Y pax on the flight and each is carrying their 2 piece allowance then there is not enough space for the load no matter the configuration of status.

Fact is if you choose to pour your last glass of shiraz when boarding is called and wait for final call to leave the lounge, then you will be looking for a slot. I prefer not to do that. So if I am sitting in my chair with my bag safely stowed overhead when you arrive as one of the last pax and cant find a place to store yours you are a victim of your choices. I cant see how there is anyone to blame other than you in that circumstance.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
On my recent LAX-SYD flight I was required to gate-check my 9 kg rollaboard which I've always taken on board on my hundreds of flights in the past several years. At first the agent at the gate commented that my bag was too big and when he put it through the sizer it fitted in it. Then he weighed it and said that it was over the 7kg limit by 3 kgs. He asked for my boarding pass to write out the claim tag and then noting that I was in seat 2A made the comment that the weight limit applied to Premium Class passengers as well. During boarding I noticed several economy class passengers were allowed to board with larger and what appeared to be heavier bags. This was the first time ever that I was required to gate check that specific bag of mine.

I'll try to carry it on board tomorrow on my SYD-LAX QF11 flight . I'm again seated in seat 2A of the A380.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Have QF been relaxed about policing overweight carryon in recent years? When I flew CHC to SYD in J back in '06, I was asked to place my carryon on the scale. When I flew DFW-SFO-SYD-CHC, only my checked baggage was weighed. Fortunately, shifting a few items from my carryon to my briefcase resolved the matter.

When I flew DFW-LAX-MEL-SYD and SYD-MEL-LAX-DFW back in '10, my carryon was not weighed any of the segments.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
On my recent LAX-SYD flight I was required to gate-check my 9 kg rollaboard which I've always taken on board on my hundreds of flights in the past several years. At first the agent at the gate commented that my bag was too big and when he put it through the sizer it fitted in it. Then he weighed it and said that it was over the 7kg limit by 3 kgs. He asked for my boarding pass to write out the claim tag and then noting that I was in seat 2A made the comment that the weight limit applied to Premium Class passengers as well. During boarding I noticed several economy class passengers were allowed to board with larger and what appeared to be heavier bags. This was the first time ever that I was required to gate check that specific bag of mine.

I'll try to carry it on board tomorrow on my SYD-LAX QF11 flight . I'm again seated in seat 2A of the A380.
I would have hoped that any flexibility/discretion in carry-on luggage would have been applied to F passengers... it sounds like you experienced an especially diligent and fastidious 'bag checker'.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:35 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle

Unusual given that as a First class passenger you're allowed 2 x 7 kg bags.

All International
First/Business/Premium Economy:

2 x 115cm (45in) bags or
1 x 115cm (45in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag

7kg (15lb) per piece
You should've been allowed to either take it on board or at least break it down to two discrete bags, and then recombine them onboard.

Sounds like you struck an ignorant jobsworth. He has potential to be a TSA supervisor with that attitude.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hvr
You should've been allowed to either take it on board or at least break it down to two discrete bags, and then recombine them onboard.

Sounds like you struck an ignorant jobsworth. He has potential to be a TSA supervisor with that attitude.
It is still written as 7kg max per piece, so breaking it somehow into two should have been possible, even if not as a single item.

Nevertheless I think it inappropriate to refer to someone enforcing rules as an 'ignorant jobsworth'.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by perthite
It is still written as 7kg max per piece, so breaking it somehow into two should have been possible, even if not as a single item.

Nevertheless I think it inappropriate to refer to someone enforcing rules as an 'ignorant jobsworth'.
Appearing to enforce the limit for a F pax and not for a Y pax is equally inappropriate.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Actually the topic was that QF is hiring more jobsworths to scour the clientele at SYD T3 domestic departures, hoping to spot an oversize carry-on.

Nowadays noone gets stopped any more at the desk for oversize carry-on, you never go to a desk - you print a bag-tag at the kiosk and dump it on the belt yourself.

For international departures, some Australian airports already have a jobsworth weighing everyone's hand baggage just in front of security. Perth and Brisbane for example. Many times I have been stopped and forced to take out some heavy items and put them in my pockets to get past, then put them back in the bag after security. Daft.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no excuse or justification for attacking the people doing their jobs as "jobsworths". Someone doing what they are paid to do is imo an expectation

If those that have decided that they are so important that the rules do not apply to themselves get a reminder that they are not special is fine imo
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:15 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
If they're going to enforce rules then they should know what the rules are. As shown in the link provided every person travelling in a premium cabin is entitled to two x 7 kg bags.

Whilst he was right to refuse to allow the person travelling in F to take one x 10 kg bag he should have advised the person to break it down into two bags rather than gate check the bag.

Surely customer service and education should be the focus rather than blind enforcement? Especially when there was a viable alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.