Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD-DFW - non stop J, or connecting F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-DFW - non stop J, or connecting F?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
SYD-LAX in F is a waste of an F redemption, You'll get maybe 2 hours sleep in the nice F bed before being roused for landing around 1am SYD time.

SYD-DFW doesn't land till 4.45am SYD time, is better for jetlag provided they don't run out of fuel and make an unscheduled stop
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by harryhv
SYD-DFW doesn't land till 4.45am SYD time, is better for jetlag provided they don't run out of fuel and make an unscheduled stop
If they run out of fuel, we will probably be reading about it on p 1 of most major papers in the world
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by harryhv
SYD-LAX in F is a waste of an F redemption, You'll get maybe 2 hours sleep in the nice F bed before being roused for landing around 1am SYD time....
Huh?

Being roused so is about 10-11 hours into the flight. What do you do for the First 8 hours?

I'd watch a movie, maybe two while having the degustation then try to sleep with at least 9 hours remaining. You can tell them when you want to be woken for breakfast, if at all.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
3.5 hours extra journey time
Having to connect in LAX
16.5% of journey in a product that is worse than the fully flat business class

The non stop business option definitely seems more appealing to me
How is the F product worst than j?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by correctioncx
How is the F product worst than j?
16.5% of the journey will be on AA domestic 1st class which is not as good a hard product I suggest than Qantas's business class on SYD-DFW
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:56 am
Suspended

16.5% of the journey will be on AA domestic 1st class which is not as good a hard product I suggest than Qantas's business class on SYD-DFW
Oic I thought u said QF F class is not as good
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: QF WP, LTG
For me, the decision would come down to what I needed to do 24 hours from arriving in DWR.

The non-stop J option would be the way to go if I had to get right down to business (excuse the pun) as you could arrive more refreshed if that was your objective.

But... if I wasn't under any pressure to perform once arriving, I'd let my hair down a bit and enjoy the F experience on QF and then solider on through sub-par AA with a couple of Bloody Marys.

Each to their own!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts about missing out on the spa treatment? Is that a big loss? I've been in the lounge, loved the restaurant. But I'm not sure the restaurant by itself is a big enough draw to sacrifice a few more hours of sleep, that it seems I'd logically get on SYD-DFW as opposed to SYD-LAX.

In answer the the previous post, I'm heading home. I don't plan on hitting work until the next day regardless of flight. I'm not really a big drinker. I'll take a drink and a beer, but that's pretty much it every 8 hours or so.

I'm actually surprised that this turned out to be such an enjoyable discussion. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmchris
Any thoughts about missing out on the spa treatment? Is that a big loss? I've been in the lounge, loved the restaurant. But I'm not sure the restaurant by itself is a big enough draw to sacrifice a few more hours of sleep, that it seems I'd logically get on SYD-DFW as opposed to SYD-LAX.

In answer the the previous post, I'm heading home. I don't plan on hitting work until the next day regardless of flight. I'm not really a big drinker. I'll take a drink and a beer, but that's pretty much it every 8 hours or so.

I'm actually surprised that this turned out to be such an enjoyable discussion. Thanks!
Remember, in the end the lounge is a glorified waiting room. Yes, it is nicer than the business lounge , but wouldn't use that as a basis for creating the crappy connection in LAX vs non stop ( esp if your trip is during the period where buses are being used to get passengers from aeroplane to LAX immigration) ; if wanting a spa treatment, see what your hotel can arrange
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:40 am
Original Poster

if wanting a spa treatment, see what your hotel can arrange
I guess I should rephrase it. Is there anything that the Payout attendants can do, that a regular hotel spa can't, or the ambience is something that you cannot experience anywhere else. For example, are they super qualified at some swiss spa academy or the like, so that it's an unbelievable experience. I can only think the difference is the ability to look out onto the tarmac in Melbourne, and I can get something similar almost anywhere.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I guess I should rephrase it. Is there anything that the Payout attendants can do, that a regular hotel spa can't, or the ambience is something that you cannot experience anywhere else. For example, are they super qualified at some swiss spa academy or the like, so that it's an unbelievable experience. I can only think the difference is the ability to look out onto the tarmac in Melbourne, and I can get something similar almost anywhere.
The massage service at BKK in the TG lounge beats the QF SYD offering. So does the NRT JL F lounge offering. SYD is nice but if you specifically fly via a city or target a specific lounge for the massage service, personally, I'd only do it for the BKK TG offering.

Also availability without reservation seems best with BKK, then NRT and its almost impossible for SYD.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Originally Posted by serfty
I don't believe you need to do this any more - at TBIT, AA (and several other USA airlines) now operate counters with full (re/)check-in facilities after arrivals.
Unless you have a short connection in which case you will be told to take your bag and recheck it at your departing terminal. I hate LAX!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheInvisibleHand
For me, the decision would come down to what I needed to do 24 hours from arriving in DWR.

The non-stop J option would be the way to go if I had to get right down to business (excuse the pun) as you could arrive more refreshed if that was your objective.

But... if I wasn't under any pressure to perform once arriving, I'd let my hair down a bit and enjoy the F experience on QF and then solider on through sub-par AA with a couple of Bloody Marys.

Each to their own!
Arriving at DWR you would no doubt be soldiering on but unlikely with a couple of Bloody Marys and I'm sure anyone flying there would be more than happy to experience the F service on QF given the pressure to perform on arrival.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by og
The massage service at BKK in the TG lounge beats the QF SYD offering. So does the NRT JL F lounge offering. SYD is nice but if you specifically fly via a city or target a specific lounge for the massage service, personally, I'd only do it for the BKK TG offering.

Also availability without reservation seems best with BKK, then NRT and its almost impossible for SYD.
Maybe TG but def not JL. Only a 10-15 minute and not that good
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: QF WP, LTG
Short answer: you could get a similar experience elsewhere.

The spa services are equivalent to what you would find in a five star hotel (i.e. of an excellent standard), but note that they are of a shorter duration.

There is no view of the tarmac, but the treatment rooms do have those lovely wall gardens (as can be found at the entrance to the lounge) which I find both beautiful and serene.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.