Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Load factors DFW-SYD/BNE?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Load factors DFW-SYD/BNE?

I am sitting in the boarding area for tonight's DFW-BNE flight, waiting for a flight at the adjacent gate. I just counted the passengers in the boarding area, and there are fewer than 100 waiting to board the Qantas 747... Is this load factor typical for this flight? If so, yikes! That's a nearly empty plane!

Take care,
Saunders111
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I would assume that there are many pax in the lounge, rather than the seating area.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:43 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I would assume that there are many pax in the lounge, rather than the seating area.
or the many bars and restaurants in T-D. If I was about to bord a 12-14 houtr flight I would not be siting in the gate area for an hour, I would time my arrival at the gate to the very last minute before the doors close.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Since tonight's flight has already left (I keep forgetting it is only 7:41PM where I am right now ), I can't dig it up on EF. However, tomorrow's flight only shows Y6. Thursday shows Y7 (QF will show a max of 9, so any less means that is actually the number of seats they are willing to sell at full Y). Also likewise, I'd be far away from the gate, partaking of terminal D's establishments. If that boarding door closes at T-15, I'm aiming for T-16 before a flight of that length if in Y.

This also may make more sense to be in the Qantas forum.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:45 pm

I have heard from people within the industry that QF's DFW service is very successful - full flights and heavy loads in the premium cabin. As others have said, I would be in the lounge until boarding time if I were taking a long haul flight. QF dumped SFO (which did well) for DFW, and from what I have been told, they have no regrets about that.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is a limit of how many economy seats that Qantas can sell on that flight iirc due to weight restrictions, so good option for economy at a gamble for an empty seat

I doubt that many of the business class passengers were hanging out by the gate and that is a fair number of passengers. There are only 275 economy seats on the aeroplane , so 100 is at least a third of the number that can be taken
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I suggest that this thread is moved to the QF forum? it seems to be more relevant there than on the AA board!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton ◆
I fly DFW-BNE & SYD-DFW a lot. I'm usually in premium economy, but from what I can see considering all three cabins it usually is 85%+ occupied. Especially the last several months, it's always been very full.

Not that my flying is a statistically significant sample...
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this query is about QF flight loads and not related to AA, we'll move this over to the Qantas forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, AA forum co-moderator
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
The loads to from DXB are so full at times QF have had to divert on return (due to head winds) to get more fuel.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Limewood
The loads to from DXB are so full at times QF have had to divert on return (due to head winds) to get more fuel.
DXB or DFW?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by og
DXB or DFW?
oops been looking up DXB have it on mind, correct DFW return of course.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Friends taking this flight recently have said it's been rammed in economy every time, very few empty seats. The route seems to be doing well for QF. Majority of people connecting onto AA of course.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Friends taking this flight recently have said it's been rammed in economy every time, very few empty seats. The route seems to be doing well for QF. Majority of people connecting onto AA of course.
It does seem to be a better option if flying economy in a way. I would rather connect at DFW than LAX as a general rule every day of the week (especially when arriving in the USA), and AA has many more services to many more airports/markets than from LAX. The A380 would likely be better in economy than the 747, but both flights are long affairs (and I just flew SQ 21 a couple of days ago, I have some inkling about long flights ). In my mind if flying economy, I want to get from point A to point B as absolutely quickly and painlessly as I possibly can. DFW works better than LAX for almost all origins east of the Rocky Mountains in this regard for sure.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It does seem to be a better option if flying economy in a way. I would rather connect at DFW than LAX as a general rule every day of the week (especially when arriving in the USA), and AA has many more services to many more airports/markets than from LAX. The A380 would likely be better in economy than the 747, but both flights are long affairs (and I just flew SQ 21 a couple of days ago, I have some inkling about long flights ). In my mind if flying economy, I want to get from point A to point B as absolutely quickly and painlessly as I possibly can. DFW works better than LAX for almost all origins east of the Rocky Mountains in this regard for sure.
I agree, with JFK being an exception. In economy, I'd rather take QF LAX-JFK than AA DFW-JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.