Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Emirates, Qantas and OneWorld lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates, Qantas and OneWorld lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
I have a question for the experts. I'm pretty sure it's as I suspect but can't hurt to double check.

I am flying MEL-SIN-DXB-ARN all booked with qantas points on one ticket.
MEL-SIN is currently booked in Y with this rest of the legs in F
Question is, will I get any sort of lounge access in MEL based on the majority of the trip being in F? (Luggage allowance is the same all through) Or will I need to dig into the 1 off lounge passes that I have?
I am only currently QF Silver so no status based entry.

I only ask as I remembered on a previous routing that I had booked I would have been in Y from HEL to LHR but would have (I am told) had lounge access as my onward flight from LHR was in F

Thanks for any info!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by flylonghaul
I have a question for the experts. I'm pretty sure it's as I suspect but can't hurt to double check.

I am flying MEL-SIN-DXB-ARN all booked with qantas points on one ticket.
MEL-SIN is currently booked in Y with this rest of the legs in F
Question is, will I get any sort of lounge access in MEL based on the majority of the trip being in F? (Luggage allowance is the same all through) Or will I need to dig into the 1 off lounge passes that I have?
I am only currently QF Silver so no status based entry.

I only ask as I remembered on a previous routing that I had booked I would have been in Y from HEL to LHR but would have (I am told) had lounge access as my onward flight from LHR was in F

Thanks for any info!
You will not have access.

As per oneworld rules, if you are connecting from/to a oneworld shorthaul (under 5 hour) flight to/from a oneworld longhaul flight in J/F you would have lounge access according to the longhaul flight class of service.

This is why you received lounge access for your HEL-LHR flight. As MEL-SIN is over 5 hours you are not eligible.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info Nux. I was pretty sure this was the case but the wording on the Qantas Lounges page made me rethink it.
"Next onward flight that day must be a Qantas marketed flight (QF flight number).

One guest allowed and must be travelling with the member on the same flight."

Not to worry though. I did really want to check out the F lounge as I have never been there. But I know the J lounge is more than sufficient for a pleasant experience so I will just have to use a lounge pass for this one.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If SIN-DXB is on EK metal then *O rules don't apply at SYD or SIN in relation to that routing.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:03 am

Yes that makes sense. I just looked at the QF site for my info.
It's rather a grey area as far as info available on the QF site goes.
In any case, I will present myself at the J lounge and have one of my one time passes ready.
Maybe a moot point by then if availability opens in the pointy end for MEL-SIN

As always, thanks for the wealth of knowledge from the usual suspects
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:41 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info Nux. I was pretty sure this was the case but the wording on the Qantas Lounges page made me rethink it.
"Next onward flight that day must be a Qantas marketed flight (QF flight number).
Yes that makes sense. I just looked at the QF site for my info.
It's rather a grey area as far as info available on the QF site goes.
Yes, if your next onward flight is in business/first you would have access. However your next onward flight is MEL-SIN in Y so no access by class of service.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
Hello, next week I will fly from LHR to MEL on QF10 with a J class ticket.

Can I access the Emirates Lounge? Is it worth it?

If not, I thought I would use my QF WP card to enter the CX F lounge as it seems better than the AA and BA equivalents in terminal 3.

All thoughts much appreciated,

David
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
No WP based access to EK lounge at LHR unless on an EK (operated?) flight.

Other than that, I have consistently seen reports the BA lounge > CX Lounge > AA lounge.

As in everything, YMMV.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
The BA lounge is nice, the food is average, the champagne bar not too bad and it's quite comfy and has some good views. CX probably has better food options but not so great in other areas.

If you're WP you can enter BA F side of course. Noting that you mention using your WP card but if it's not the same card you're crediting your flight to (unless it's an award flight) you may face issues at some lounges....
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
The BA lounge is nice, the food is average, the champagne bar not too bad and it's quite comfy and has some good views. CX probably has better food options but not so great in other areas.

If you're WP you can enter BA F side of course. Noting that you mention using your WP card but if it's not the same card you're crediting your flight to (unless it's an award flight) you may face issues at some lounges....
Thanks. I bought a J ticket but it will credit to my platinum QF account. I also have a BA Gold card but shouldn't need it (I'm in the middle of transitioning from QF to BA which is why I am emerald for both). Given the QF car insists on picking me up 2.5 hours before take off I should have enough time to tour the lounges. from memory, the BA F lounge is nothing special. I thought the CX F lounge might be better having visited it a long time ago. With so much time before boarding, I will check both and report. I was hoping EK might have something better, but it seems I won't get to see it regardless.

Only a few years ago, I would have been shocked at my attitude towards what are very nice places to rest before a long flight. travelling too much warps one's senses to be sure.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by da.....L
from memory, the BA F lounge is nothing special. I thought the CX F lounge might be better having visited it a long time ago. With so much time before boarding, I will check both and report. I was hoping EK might have something better, but it seems I won't get to see it regardless.
By all means try both, although I would put the BA T3 Flounge slightly ahead.

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ut-lhr-t3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ge-advice.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...minal-3-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-lounge.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...st-lounge.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ptions-t3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post22586399
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ch-lounge.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-lounges.html
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: QF Gold
For those able to use the EK lounge in DXB, I hope you have hours to spare if in transit. Last month I flew SIN/DXB/LHR (QF code, EK metal) and thought that I had about a couple of hours to relax in the EK lounge - or so my boarding passes and flight times seemed to indicate.

Despite an on-time arrival in DXB, by the time you go through security, walk about 20 kilometres to the lounge (if you can follow the signage, even in English), gain access to the lounge, I found I had 5 minutes to enjoy the experience.

I had just deposited my bag and was on my way to explore the lounge when I noticed that the departures board said "go to gate" for my flight. So I went back and picked up my bag, walked another 20 kilometres to the gate in time to be crammed on to a hideously claustrophobic A380 (I was in economy). Never again with EK's A380.

Coming home it was QF Premium Economy - great experience, wonderful service, attentive cabin crew etc, but I didn't bother even going to the lounge in DXB during the relatively short stop there (I was flying LHR/MEL) as there was still security to be negotiated and the aircraft which had arrived at gate x was leaving from gate y so another 10 kms of walking.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:08 am

I have CX and MH gold .
Which Qantas lounge can I have access to domestically ( australia ) if I were to fly QF in Economy ? Am told there's qantas business lounge and qantas club
Thks
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bearbrick
I have CX and MH gold .
Which Qantas lounge can I have access to domestically ( australia ) if I were to fly QF in Economy ? Am told there's qantas business lounge and qantas club
Thks
The Qantas club lounge is available for those with OW Sapphire status which MH Gold and CX Gold both are.
The Business lounge only for those with OW Emerald status
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The Qantas club lounge is available for those with OW Sapphire status which MH Gold and CX Gold both are.
The Business lounge only for those with OW Emerald status

That's sorted , thks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.