Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Emirates, Qantas and OneWorld lounge access

Emirates, Qantas and OneWorld lounge access

Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If I am QF Gold, and bought a purely EK ticket on a EK route (ie BKK-HKG), can I get access to the EK lounge in BKK?

My reading of the QFF web pages implies yes?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe so, yes
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA:GOLD
I'm flying from MEL to SGN on JQ this saturday, my friend is flying to AKL on JQ at the same time. Can I invite him in the first lounge as a platinum?
Old May 29, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Andrew Yeates
Folks as a regular traveller between uk and Aus on emirates, I can offer the following experience:

1) QF elite members who book emirates metal on a QF ticket (and have a QF codeshare on their boarding pass) get miles, tier points, and lounge access at all EK lounges, and also QF lounges (where available).

Note however that EK lounges are much stricter with children - they all count as guests over age 2, unlike QF lounges.

2) Other OW elite members are supposed to get the same under the same conditions. Personally I have successfully done this with BAEC silver. But you won't get into other OW lounges when flying EK metal / QF ticket

3) OW elites flying EK metal and ticket are denied all miles, tier and lounge privileges.

4) OW elites flying QF metal but on EK ticket get nothing.

5) No experience of skywards, but expect their elite members to have full privileges on QF metal / EK ticket.

6)
Hi, old thread so not sure of the current state of things, but would appreciate a headsup. Flying Economy LHR-DBX-MEL on QF flight numbers (QF8004, QF8406), but apparently Emirates metal(A380). These are pretty common flights I am sure to the forum.

As a OW Silver member I had assumed Lounge access preflight in T3 LHR , as its a 840pm departure and I need to work/eat beforehand. In fact, this is what swung me between booking with QF and booking elsewhere. However, post booking just read the above commentary and now wondering what the situation will be. Can someone please clarify , i guess from recent experience if possible at LHR ? Same question about DBX lounges I guess.

Many thanks, would appreciate any comments.

Last edited by d603; May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old May 29, 2022, 5:13 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Do you mean QF silver. (OW Ruby)? If so then no lounge access (unless things have recently changed).
Old May 29, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Do you mean QF silver. (OW Ruby)? If so then no lounge access (unless things have recently changed).
Or BAEC Silver (OW Sapphire) given BAEC is in the profile

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...igibility.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 29, 2022 at 6:03 pm
Old May 29, 2022, 6:13 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Or BAEC Silver (OW Sapphire) given BAEC is in the profile

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...igibility.html
Profiles to not automatically appear on my iPhone screen ( whereas they do when viewing on a bigger device )
Old May 29, 2022, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by d603
Hi, old thread so not sure of the current state of things, but would appreciate a headsup. Flying Economy LHR-DBX-MEL on QF flight numbers (QF8004, QF8406), but apparently Emirates metal(A380). These are pretty common flights I am sure to the forum.

As a OW Silver member I had assumed Lounge access preflight in T3 LHR , as its a 840pm departure and I need to work/eat beforehand. In fact, this is what swung me between booking with QF and booking elsewhere. However, post booking just read the above commentary and now wondering what the situation will be. Can someone please clarify , i guess from recent experience if possible at LHR ? Same question about DBX lounges I guess.

Many thanks, would appreciate any comments.
There is no lounge access for OW Sapphire or Emerald status since Emirates is not a OW Carrier

There is no Silver status for OW - I assume that you mean BA Silver status which equates to OW Sapphire

For Heathrow, you can book the Aspire lounge at GBP34.50 , though for eating, I would probably just go to an eatery in the terminal

EK does sell lounge access at, iirc, $100 which you could do at Dubai

If you want lounge access included, you might want to look at what the fare would be to change to QF10 direct to Melbourne or QF2 via Sydney and/or Darwin

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 29, 2022 at 7:31 pm
Old May 30, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no lounge access for OW Sapphire or Emerald status since Emirates is not a OW Carrier

There is no Silver status for OW - I assume that you mean BA Silver status which equates to OW Sapphire

For Heathrow, you can book the Aspire lounge at GBP34.50 , though for eating, I would probably just go to an eatery in the terminal

EK does sell lounge access at, iirc, $100 which you could do at Dubai

If you want lounge access included, you might want to look at what the fare would be to change to QF10 direct to Melbourne or QF2 via Sydney and/or Darwin
Thanks to all who replied. Really appreciate it.

For clarity - OW Sapphire is the status in my case, apologies for confusing things. This is the equivalent of QF Gold ("Sapphire members enjoy Gold Frequent Flyer benefits" as per the QF website).

Maybe this is just wishful thinking - but the terms on the qantas URL mentioned above by
Mwenenzi do seem to state that all that is required to enter the LHR T3 QF Lounge is :
  • OW Tier status (Sapphire/Emerald)
  • Travelling on a QF Flight number

Both of which I have - I think? Its under the section on "Qantas International lounge". The key thing mentioned a few times in the fine print seems to be :"must be travelling on QF or oneworld®# flight number"

So - has anyone got real world experience of this access being allowed to QF lounges in this scenario (at LHR at least)? I know there is OW fine print about the metal, but wondering if that gets applied super rigorously at QF LHR.

I fully expect nothing to be accessible in Dubai or any/all other OW lounges at these stops. But crossing fingers for QF LHR......
Old May 30, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Maybe this is just wishful thinking - but the terms on the qantas URL mentioned above by Mwenenzi do seem to state that all that is required to enter the LHR T3 QF Lounge is :
  • OW Tier status (Sapphire/Emerald)
  • Travelling on a QF Flight number

Both of which I have - I think? Its under the section on "Qantas International lounge". The key thing mentioned a few times in the fine print seems to be :"must be travelling on QF or oneworld®# flight number"...
It is likely wishful thinking - Dave Noble is correct.

With QF*EK flight bookings, oneworld Alliance status benefits do not apply.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:08 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
The key thing mentioned a few times in the fine print seems to be :"must be travelling on QF or oneworld®# flight number"
The key is actually that # in the middle. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it states:

# The flight number must be operated and marketed by a oneworld® carrier. A oneworld® marketed flight refers to a flight with a oneworld® flight number, eg QF1 or AA222. A oneworld® operated flight refers to the actual aircraft or 'metal' on which you fly, eg Finnair aircraft. Excludes oneworld connect partnerOpens external site in a new window flights.

Regards,

BD
Old May 31, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
The key is actually that # in the middle. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it states:

# The flight number must be operated and marketed by a oneworld® carrier. A oneworld® marketed flight refers to a flight with a oneworld® flight number, eg QF1 or AA222. A oneworld® operated flight refers to the actual aircraft or 'metal' on which you fly, eg Finnair aircraft. Excludes oneworld connect partnerOpens external site in a new window flights.

Regards,

BD
Ah well... thanks for the expert replies everyone. I am assuming this catches out a few people here and there. e.g. the "metal" factor. Hopefully this post clarifies and helps others thinking of buying QF on EK hardware.

I wonder if anyone has actually blagged it into QF LHR regardless. I mean - the reality is, the person at the counter at the lounge will end up deciding. Ive been to the T3 lounges on business class before, so am aware of the protocols at QF. But they never really seemed to look that closely. I guess they would recognize the flight number tho as not being a pure QF one.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:38 pm

The agent simply scans the boarding pass and lounge access is determined by computer

If lounge access is important, then I would suggest booking for the Aspire lounge - I think that the chance of getting into the QF lounge on an EK flight without being in business class are very low
If lounge access is just a nice to have if available, then try and see - but I would set expectations to being denied access
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The agent simply scans the boarding pass and lounge access is determined by computer

If lounge access is important, then I would suggest booking for the Aspire lounge - I think that the chance of getting into the QF lounge on an EK flight without being in business class are very low
If lounge access is just a nice to have if available, then try and see - but I would set expectations to being denied access
Absolutely. I have Priority Pass in any case, but like the dining at QF. Appreciate the suggestions and assistance. Does seem like a lot of fine print to all the loyalty schemes and flight combos out there to bear in mind as travel picks up. Hence why it occupies so much print in this forum! Thanks again.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
Hi All,

Reading this thread with interest (as trying to get the missus up to QF Gold) and would like to double check my earlier assumptions with the forum.

So just to confirm, if a passenger holds QF Gold status, I understand the following to be the case (any correction will be much appreciated)

Thank you all in advance

Last edited by TravelExperience; Jun 7, 2022 at 2:30 am Reason: table alignment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.