Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas' latest changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
A lot of of my points are from a non travel source - my Qantas ANZ Plat Visa card. The whole family spend goes on it. Wife and I had a award trip Y+ 2 years ago AKL-GLA and back. Do the same next year. Other years I pay cash. Works for me.
I like Qantas but hate Heathrow.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Ardentinny
A lot of of my points are from a non travel source - my Qantas ANZ Plat Visa card. The whole family spend goes on it. Wife and I had a award trip Y+ 2 years ago AKL-GLA and back. Do the same next year. Other years I pay cash. Works for me.
I like Qantas but hate Heathrow.
If you are earning from CC, there are options out there that probably get you to Europe and back (at least from Australia) for the same number of miles on some other airlines as you will get on there on QF in Y.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
In the past month I've flown long haul with Egypt Air & Turkish Airlines. Both excellent & really show up how bad QF has become.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:03 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Lots of people naturally put the burden on the airline to come up with ways to serve smaller cities with nonstop routes to favorite places. Isn't there also a burden on the cities to provide enough revenue passengers to do that?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Thank you for welcoming me. Maybe I am making mistakes being a Newbe here.

I understand that Qantas must make profit. However all there actions drive me away from them, therefore I avoid booking Qantas flights BECAUSE of their policy.This way they lose business and there will be less profit for shareholders.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by TA
Lots of people naturally put the burden on the airline to come up with ways to serve smaller cities with nonstop routes to favorite places. Isn't there also a burden on the cities to provide enough revenue passengers to do that?
Airlines also have to come up with a route structure and product that makes sense for their customer base. In the case of the OP, ADL is well served by not one but several other airlines for international flights -- just not QF. The market is there in terms of sufficient revenue pax ... somehow QF is not competitive with airlines like CX, SQ and EK to name 3 that do have ADL service.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Hi nonce... I see that I still have to learn a lot about FF talk but thank for all your replys here. In summary unfortunately it means forget about Loyalty, just play them as good as you can.
I just remembered a Business Forum with Mark Bouris I attended a few weeks ago. He pointed out that virtues such as Loyalty, Respect and Dignity are increasingly disapearing... Sad, but true.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aussie100
Thank you for welcoming me. Maybe I am making mistakes being a Newbe here.

I understand that Qantas must make profit. However all there actions drive me away from them, therefore I avoid booking Qantas flights BECAUSE of their policy.This way they lose business and there will be less profit for shareholders.
Losing business where that business is not that profitable is not going to lose profit for shareholders

If flights out of Adelaide to your desired international destinations were nicely profitable, Qantas would continue operating them rather than deploying elsewhere. Losing some customers on route 1 is an acceptable loss if profit is better elsewhere

Need to remember that Qantas is just a company that offers a service; if its service is no longer the most appropriate for your needs, then seems sensible to look for another company that will
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:21 pm

Hi nonce... I see that I still have to learn a lot about FF talk but thank for all your replys here. In summary unfortunately it means forget about Loyalty, just play them as good as you can.
I just remembered a Business Forum with Mark Bouris I attended a few weeks ago. He pointed out that virtues such as Loyalty, Respect and Dignity are increasingly disapearing... Sad, but true.
Depends on where the loyalty should be

Are you expecting the airline to be loyal to you or should you be loyal to the airline?

Airlines are just companies; do most sensible people only use Coles when Woolworth's is more conveniant?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Depends on where the loyalty should be

Are you expecting the airline to be loyal to you or should you be loyal to the airline?

Airlines are just companies; do most sensible people only use Coles when Woolworth's is more conveniant?
I would have thought loyalty - if we are discussing 'loyalty programs' - is a 2 way street.

Company says "keep bringing your business to us and we'll keep giving you some benefits or make the experience better / less painful". Customer says "sure, as long as its worthwhile" or "You haven't kept your side of the bargain to my expectation - bye bye."

For very frequent flyers the concept of the 'loyalty program' is moot I suggest. They can achieve high status in more than one scheme pretty easily and then can enjoy the loyalty benefits without being 'loyal' at all.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by RooFlyer

Company says "keep bringing your business to us and we'll keep giving you some benefits or make the experience better / less painful". Customer says "sure, as long as its worthwhile" or "You haven't kept your side of the bargain to my expectation - bye bye."
Well, to me , that isn't being loyal. From dictionary, to be loyal is is to be faithful and true. What you are describing is just a business relationship on each side of "if you do X then I'll give you Y"

Loyalty isn't something that is purchased

When making purchases, the approach of who will give me the best value is more sensible than loyalty imo
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:09 pm

It is worth noting that QF would have to base planes in Adelaide or fly domestic sectors to Adelaide then move to international all of which costly and somethign that other airlines don't have to do. I can see them basing a couple of more planes in Perth though to go to Dubai (and onto Berlin??) at some point.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Aussie100; I can assure you that you will forget all about any fake loyalty the moment you board another carriers flight in business. All that stress of booking Y and then playing upgrade roulette will vanish, benefits that you had to fight longs and hard for on QF will just appear and remarkable things will happen. The sooner you start booking business based on best fare of the day the sooner you will realise that being loyal to QF makes no difference and often places you at a significant disadvantage.

The QF program doesn't reward loyalty its a commercially driven platform designed to make money through reward points. If it rewarded loyalty it would place a service priority based on value to the airline rather than how many discount tickets you purchased during the double status credits offer. It sure wouldn't let a platinum FF flying on a reward seat in F using points select a better seat than someone who flies once a year with QF in full fare first. As during the flying lifetime the F PAX is worth more to QF in profit than the reward PAX. The QF program is angled towards QF being paid money by third parties for points and PAX paying the base cost of the seat in taxes filling otherwise empty seats at break even. QF doesn't care how much you fly with them for this, that's why Gold is now so attractive and Platinum hasn't had any new benefits added. Likewise I am yet to discover a Platinum 1 member who thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Well, to me , that isn't being loyal. From dictionary, to be loyal is is to be faithful and true. What you are describing is just a business relationship on each side of "if you do X then I'll give you Y"

Loyalty isn't something that is purchased

When making purchases, the approach of who will give me the best value is more sensible than loyalty imo
True. Works on both sides.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Revenue and profit are not the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.