Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF2 LHR-DXB J Experience?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 4:12 am
Original Poster

QF2 LHR-DXB J Experience?

I'll be flying QF2 this week and was wondering what kind of service to expect in J. The flight leaves at 9.30pm so will a full dinner be served, or a light meal followed by a full breakfast before arrival in Dubai? Will amenity kits/pjs be provided?

First time on Qantas so any info. will be great!
Old May 22, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I did it last month on QF10 and got offered a full meal - except I opted for light as I usually do. Amenity kits and PJs were provided, as well as "mattresses" and quilts. I kid you not!

Can I also mention that my TV wasn't working so I got whisked down to First (after my meal etc) for the LHR-DXB leg? Then on the DXB-MEL leg (same plane) I was just moved to another seat in J.

If it's your first time on Qantas J in an A380 I think you're in for a treat. But do speak up if your TV isn't working!

Last edited by mandolino; May 22, 2013 at 4:45 am Reason: Mixed up my 9s and 10s!
Old May 22, 2013, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
I did it last month on QF10 and got offered a full meal - except I opted for light as I usually do. Amenity kits and PJs were provided, as well as "mattresses" and quilts. I kid you not!

Can I also mention that my TV wasn't working so I got whisked down to First (after my meal etc) for the LHR-DXB leg? Then on the DXB-MEL leg (same plane) I was just moved to another seat in J.

If it's your first time on Qantas J in an A380 I think you're in for a treat. But do speak up if your TV isn't working!
Thank you for your input!

Completed my first flight with Qantas today and was pleasantly surprised!

Things I liked better on Qantas A380 vs. Emirates A380:
- Business class cabin with the mini cabin upfront rather than in the back like on EK. Also liked the colors of the cabin. The seat was on par with EK.
- Cabin crew were MILES better than EK cabin crew - so much more friendly, they address you by your surname, and they kept walking through the cabin to see if anyone wanted anything (being my first time with QF, not sure if this is always the case or not).
- I appreciated that they provided pjs.

Things I didn't like so much:
- The entertainment system was a bit underwhelming when compared with ICE. Also didn't like the fact that you can't use it during takeoff/landing.
- No internet.
- Food wasn't that great + small portions.
- Amenity kit was much less elaborate compared to the one provided by EK.
- I never thought I'd miss it, but it was strange not having a proper lounge in the back of the A380 - I honestly don't understand the purpose behind the one found upfront on QF, it felt very useless.
- Did not like the lounge used by QF at Heathrow.

Still, I very much enjoyed my first flight with Qantas, but I think I'll stick with Emirates for now.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Cabin crew were MILES better than EK cabin crew - so much more friendly, they address you by your surname, and they kept walking through the cabin to see if anyone wanted anything (being my first time with QF, not sure if this is always the case or not)
I think so. It's been my experience anyway, in over ten years of QF J class between UK and Australia.
Did not like the lounge used by QF at Heathrow
Galleries Lounge at T3?
It's OK by me.
Old May 25, 2013, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
I think so. It's been my experience anyway, in over ten years of QF J class between UK and Australia.

Galleries Lounge at T3?
It's OK by me.
So you weren't offered use of the EK lounge at LHR? According to the QF website J and F passengers in Europe can choose either QF or EK lounges, but I have been told that EK lounge guardians are turning away QF J and F passengers saying that they cannot use the EK facilities (even if flying on an EK flight number).

Good the hear positive experiences of QF2 J as we're taking it for a once in a lifetime trip to Oz in December.
Old May 25, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Pjh104
So you weren't offered use of the EK lounge at LHR? According to the QF website J and F passengers in Europe can choose either QF or EK lounges, but I have been told that EK lounge guardians are turning away QF J and F passengers saying that they cannot use the EK facilities (even if flying on an EK flight number).

Good the hear positive experiences of QF2 J as we're taking it for a once in a lifetime trip to Oz in December.
In London (at least in LHR), QF passengers do not have access to the EK lounge. As per the link below

* Access to the London Heathrow EK lounge is available when on an Emirates operated flight only.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...cess/global/en

So if flying QF from London - the designated lounge continues to be the Galleries in T3.
Old May 25, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
In London (at least in LHR), QF passengers do not have access to the EK lounge. As per the link below

* Access to the London Heathrow EK lounge is available when on an Emirates operated flight only.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...cess/global/en

So if flying QF from London - the designated lounge continues to be the Galleries in T3.
But I read that qualification as being for those accessing the lounge using Qantas Club membership, not for those accessing through flying J or F class?

Last edited by Pjh104; May 25, 2013 at 7:36 am Reason: Retread the web page...
Old May 25, 2013, 8:04 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Pjh104
But I read that qualification as being for those accessing the lounge using Qantas Club membership, not for those accessing through flying J or F class?
I read it as:
QP members use the AA lounge at LHR.
All others (status or F/J) use BA lounge for QF metal, and EK lounge for EK metal.
Old May 25, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by nux
I read it as:
All others (status or F/J) use BA lounge for QF metal, and EK lounge for EK metal.
That's correct. I even tried to access the EK lounge 2 weeks ago and was refused. It seems the access policy at LHR changed in April sometime. QF check-in staff say the EK lounge is too small.

Unless you are in F, you will be denied access to parts of the BA lounge too.

There are also the CX lounges for F, J and OW status pax.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Austman
T
There are also the CX lounges for F, J and OW status pax.
Which are not any better than the BA ones. Well the J ones anyway are not. I've not compared F.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Which are not any better than the BA ones. Well the J ones anyway are not. I've not compared F.
The BA lounges stopped most of their food recently, maybe the CX lounges are preferable now.
Old May 26, 2013, 3:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by harryhv
The BA lounges stopped most of their food recently, maybe the CX lounges are preferable now.
Even so, the decor and layout of the BA lounge is nicer.
Old May 26, 2013, 4:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Austman
Originally Posted by nux
I read it as:
Unless you are in F, you will be denied access to parts of the BA lounge too.
If you're talking about the BA F Lounge then that is for OneWorld Emerald or passengers flying in F as per OneWorld policy.

Nothing unusual about that.
Old May 26, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by nux
If you're talking about the BA F Lounge then that is for OneWorld Emerald or passengers flying in F as per OneWorld policy.

It's the sit-down dining room at the back of the BA F lounge that is being referred to. That area is off limits to non-F pax.
Old May 26, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by nux

Except that it's not true (bolding is mine). Only pax with an F-class BP get access. Considering BA only have 1 F-class flight (to BKK) six times a week from LHR T3, it's a somewhat restrictive policy. The dining room was 100% empty when I tried to gain access and that was on the day that they didn't even have the BKK flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.