Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 1:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
The award inventory had already been released and not just on my flight. Then, all at once with one keystroke or whatever, QF removed all the previously released inventory for all the JQ-QF codeshares. That withdrawal is what the AA agent is claiming should be subject to some sort of agreement.

It's not like QF just stopped releasing inventory. That would be different but not what I've been claiming has happened.
The AA agent can think whatever they want.

QF can withdraw ALL award inventory from every flight if they so desire. That is not a policy change either. Just as AA can reduce their award inventory.

Award inventory can go up and down. Once it is released it can be withdrawn. Every OW airline dictates their own award inventory. I know BA inventory fluctuates a lot too, and some routes get zeroed out overnight.

There's still one unaddressed issue: the fact that the AA supervisor told me that JQ flights are no longer bookable through the AAdvantage program.
You could never book JQ code flights with AAmiles. You can book QF coded flights with AAmiles subject to their being award space. As you have found, perhaps overnight QF decided to remove all award space of JQ metal flights.

Personally, I find it odd that QF in the past did release award inventory under the QF codeshare on JQ metal flights. I do understand though that it would be frustrating having the availability no longer there.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Here's a new one: I'm on the phone with an AA agent now who is telling me that JQ-QF codeshares are no longer bookable by AA members. And not because QF is not releasing award seats. The relationship has been terminated without announcement. That is most definitely a program change.

Not only that, the agent is saying that my confirmed ticket is no longer valid and needs to be refunded and the miles redeposited. I will naturally assume that my $25 res. fee will not be refunded.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a new one: I'm on the phone with an AA agent now who is telling me that JQ-QF codeshares are no longer bookable by AA members. And not because QF is not releasing award seats. The relationship has been terminated without announcement. That is most definitely a program change.
If there has not been an announcement, then where is the AA agent getting this information from? And what relationship exactly has been terminated? Or are they just speculating based on non availability.

Also (for my own curiosity), where does it currently say that JQ-QF codeshares can be booked by AA/OW members?
Old May 28, 2013, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
If there has not been an announcement, then where is the AA agent getting this information from? And what relationship exactly has been terminated? Or are they just speculating based on non availability.

Also (for my own curiosity), where does it currently say that JQ-QF codeshares can be booked by AA/OW members?
What has been terminated (in a completely unannounced manner) is the relationship that allows AA members to book JQ-QF codeshare. Like I've been saying all along... there's much more to this than QF not releasing availability or rescinding previously released availability.

The agents are looking up where it says (or doesn't say) that JQ-QF codeshares can be booked but I don't know where.

I've been on the phone for almost an hour trying to sort through this. Now on hold while a supervisor is on the phone with the QF liason.

Do I have any recourse since this change was not announced anywhere on AA's website? Until now, no agents were aware of any change going back 2 weeks of my fervent discussions with several of them.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:05 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What has been terminated (in a completely unannounced manner) is the relationship that allows AA members to book JQ-QF codeshare. Like I've been saying all along... there's much more to this than QF not releasing availability or rescinding previously released availability.

The agents are looking up where it says (or doesn't say) that JQ-QF codeshares can be booked but I don't know where.

I've been on the phone for almost an hour trying to sort through this. Now on hold while a supervisor is on the phone with the QF liason.

Do I have any recourse since this change was not announced anywhere on AA's website? Until now, no agents were aware of any change going back 2 weeks of my fervent discussions with several of them.
I have a feeling you are just getting speculation from the AAgent based on no availability.

AA (and other OW partners) can only book awards on QF codes.

QF does codeshare on JQ flights. This is still the case.

QF awards are published under 'P' (First) 'U' (Business) 'Z' (Prem Economy) 'X' (Economy) fare buckets.

If these are zero or no longer listed, there is simply no availability.

Here is an example:

Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing DRW on 05/28/13 12:00 AM ± 3 Day(s) for DPS
Flying QF JQ 
                                                                     Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
JQ 81         0      DRW                DPS                320       Su,T,W,Th,Sa    Y4 B4 V4 T0 S0 R0 Q0 P0 O0 N0 M0 E0 L0 K0 A0 H0 I0 X4 
                     05/29/13 7:30 PM   05/29/13 8:45 PM             84% / 25m

0 Connections
QF (JQ) 293   0      DRW                DPS                320       T,W,Th,Sa       Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 
                     05/29/13 7:30 PM   05/29/13 8:45 PM             84% / 25m
QF293 can be booked, but there are no awards available to any OW (or QF) member.

I would be concerned if the agent is correct that your existing paid and confirmed ticket is being cancelled. Or was your ticket simply on hold (not ticketed) and now since the availability has gone it can no longer be ticketed?
Old May 28, 2013, 4:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there is no availability in X class, it cannot be booked regardless

Booking of QF flight numbers as awards has been available , but there being no availability , continually calling AA will just have AA staff doing what they seem to do best - invent reasons why they think it is as it is

Based on what you are doing, it seems that you are making it worse by having them now think that your existing booking is not valid

If you want to make the change, you need to find QF flight numbers that have awards available; if there is none, there is nothing that AA agents can do
Old May 28, 2013, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Now the agent told me that QF would honor the original confirmed ticket (not on hold).

The JQ-QF codeshares are no longer available to AAdvantage members. That is coming from QF.

Please indulge me. Find one of these codeshares that has availability and try to book it as an AAdvantage award. I surmise that you will not be able to find any availability because of what I wrote in the above sentence.

Last edited by povertyjetset; May 28, 2013 at 4:26 am
Old May 28, 2013, 4:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now the agent told me that QF would honor the original confirmed ticket (not on hold).

The JQ-QF codeshares are no longer available to AAdvantage members. That is coming from QF.

Please indulge me. Find one of these codeshares that has availability and try to book it as an AAdvantage award. I surmise that you will not be able to find any availability because of what I wrote in the above sentence.
So as I suspected, it is just that there is now no availability.

It may be that QF now may release zero award inventory on all the QF codeshares on JQ metal. This would apply to ALL OneWorld member airlines, and QF members (but, QF members can still book them as JQ coded flights subject to award availability).

This is not a policy change. Just as AA can decide to release no award inventory (MileSAAver) on American Eagle flights.

To quote myself:

Originally Posted by nux
There doesn't have to be a rule change as such. Qantas may now just release zero awards on all Jetstar flights under the QF code going forward.

Hence, no availability.
I think I have repeated myself more than enough times now.

Feel free to keep ringing AA and seeing what other reasons they give you for this, or that some unpublished policy has been terminated.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:46 am
Original Poster

If there's been no rule change, then could someone explain why AA initially told me that my confirmed ticket wouldn't be honored?
Old May 28, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If there's been no rule change, then could someone explain why AA initially told me that my confirmed ticket wouldn't be honored?
Occam's Razor suggests: A poorly-informed agent.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:18 am
Original Poster

It was also the supervisor who was speaking with someone from QF.

All were misinformed?
Old May 28, 2013, 5:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was also the supervisor who was speaking with someone from QF.

All were misinformed?
Sounds like it. As you said yourself:

You seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information from the AAgents and are going round in circles. But as your existing ticketed booking is fine, I think it boils down to:

QF award availability no longer there on JQ codeshares.
Will it come back? Who knows.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Yes, probably best to sit tight and see how this unfolds. The flight is not until early September.

After looking at Jetstar.com I sort of regret not letting them cancel the ticket/refund the miles since I could buy the flight for the date I now want for US$370 including tax and a checked bag. I burned 25k miles and $50 in fees and taxes so it wasn't like the award ticket was a great deal. But sometimes those DPS-CNS tix can be upwards of US$500 or substantially more.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Yes, probably best to sit tight and see how this unfolds. The flight is not until early September.

After looking at Jetstar.com I sort of regret not letting them cancel the ticket/refund the miles since I could buy the flight for the date I now want for US$370 including tax and a checked bag. I burned 25k miles and $50 in fees and taxes so it wasn't like the award ticket was a great deal. But sometimes those DPS-CNS tix can be upwards of US$500 or substantially more.
Just to jump in here in case my experience matters for your future ticket. We just flew ZQN-AKL-BNE-CNS within the past few days, booked with AA miles. I booked these about 6 months ago. ZQN-AKL and BNE-CNS were on Jetstar, as Qantas codeshare. We never tried a date change, but no one ever told us that we could not take the flights, either.

My observations:
- Jetstar cannot interline baggage with Qantas. Nor could they check us in for our entire itinerary in ZQN. This was very annoying as we had to pick up our bags and re-check in AKL (long walk domestic to international) and BNE.
- We almost missed our flight in AKL due to a Jetstar MX and having to wait to collect our baggage and run.
- When we did re-check in BNE, the Qantas agent said Jetstar was "rubbish" and had lied about the baggage issue.
- The Jetstar flights sucked, as the seats were tiny, hard, and incredibly crammed.
- The Qantas AKL-BNE flight, in contrast, was lovely, with a great crew and really good IFE (we were in business.)

My takeaway: avoid Jetstar. I hated it, and would have booked different tickets if I knew how bad they were. We are now in the CNS lounge awaiting a flight to SYD and I am assuming it will be better.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:24 pm

I feel with you. IMHO 25k miles is a waste of otherwise very useful AAdvantage miles for something worth $320.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.