Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Old Jun 10, 13, 8:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft View Post
..............- The Jetstar flights sucked, as the seats were tiny, hard, and incredibly crammed.
- The Qantas AKL-BNE flight, in contrast, was lovely, with a great crew and really good IFE (we were in business.)

My takeaway: avoid Jetstar. I hated it, and would have booked different tickets if I knew how bad they were. We are now in the CNS lounge awaiting a flight to SYD and I am assuming it will be better.
Welcome to JetStar. Yes it sucks but they are still there (in NZ) and presumably making money - so they will be there for a while yet (handy to keep prices in check). JetStar is part of the Qantas Group when it suits them (ie publicity), but couldn't be far enough away from it at other times (ie support & bag interlining). Moral being to allow heaps of time between flights and to have low expectations. It is a one star airline afterall.

Oh, and to compare JQ in a 320 with a Business Class seat in a 738 is stretching the comparison
Old Jun 10, 13, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Ended up exchanging the FF ticket with no redeposit fee and bought the tix direct from JQ for $370 total including a checked bag, meals, and an exit row seat the latter 2 for some reason not being charged any additional fee.

From my discussions with AA, it doesn't seem like these JQ/QF-codeshare flights are going to be available to AAdvantage members anytime soon if ever.
Old Jul 2, 13, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Recent reply from Qantas would seem to confirm what I've been saying all along:

Qantas codeshare services with Jetstar stopped in April this year and flights can now be booked on Jetstar with (JQ) flight numbers.

However, a reply from AA is definitely incorrect as I know for sure that the JQ flights can no longer be booked through AA:

While we can appreciate your concerns, based on our records, JetStar is still a codeshare partner with us. However, it's not clear to us how their partnership with Qantas affected your award travel. While JetStar may no longer codeshare with Qantas, you should still be able to book award travel with us for both carriers.
Old Jul 3, 13, 3:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by povertyjetset View Post
Recent reply from Qantas would seem to confirm what I've been saying all along:

Qantas codeshare services with Jetstar stopped in April this year and flights can now be booked on Jetstar with (JQ) flight numbers.

However, a reply from AA is definitely incorrect as I know for sure that the JQ flights can no longer be booked through AA:

While we can appreciate your concerns, based on our records, JetStar is still a codeshare partner with us. However, it's not clear to us how their partnership with Qantas affected your award travel. While JetStar may no longer codeshare with Qantas, you should still be able to book award travel with us for both carriers.
The statement from Qantas is incorrect. QF codeshares on Jetstar still exist, as has been pointed out by Dave Noble and myself above.

Specific to your example, JQ58 still has QF254 as a codeshare. These may not be easily bookable, but they still exist.

Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing DRW on 08/14/13 12:00 AM  3 Day(s) for DPS
Returning on 08/22/13 12:00 AM  3 Day(s) 

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
JQ 58         0      DPS                DRW                320       T,W,Sa          Y4 B4 V4 T4 S4 R4 Q4 P4 O4 N4 M4 E4 L4 K4 A4 H0 I0 X4 
                     08/20/13 11:15 PM  08/21/13 3:20 AM             96% / 3m

0 Connections
QF (JQ) 254   0      DPS                DRW                320       T,W,Sa          Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O0 
                     08/20/13 11:15 PM  08/21/13 3:20 AM             96% / 3m

As I have been saying all along, it seems Qantas now does not release award inventory on the QF codeshare, but does release award inventory on the JQ prime code.

This means only Qantas FF members can book Jetstar award flights (as I believe it should be as Jetstar is not a OneWorld airline).

It boils down to this:
You are trying to redeem with AA miles.
You can redeem AA miles on AA, OneWorld and AA partners.
QF is a OneWorld airline, JQ is not.
You can redeem for a QF award flight, you cannot redeem a JQ award flight.
There is no QF award inventory on Jetstar flights. Why there was before is a mystery.

I'm sure you can go round and round in circles with various AAgents speculation. The simple fact is, there is no QF award inventory anymore.

Last edited by nux; Jul 3, 13 at 3:32 am
Old Sep 20, 13, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I finally took JQ58 the other night and it was indeed also listed as QF254 at the check in counter.

Upon departure, the flight attendant gave the standard welcome message which specifically included One World members which I found extremely annoying since One World members (with the exception of Qantas FF members) have not been able to book JQ/QF flights for months now.
Old Sep 20, 13, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally took JQ58 the other night and it was indeed also listed as QF254 at the check in counter.

Upon departure, the flight attendant gave the standard welcome message which specifically included One World members which I found extremely annoying since One World members (with the exception of Qantas FF members) have not been able to book JQ/QF flights for months now.
Anyone is perfectly capable of booking Jetstar flights; go to jetstar site and select flights and provide a form of payment

Qantas has ( at least in the past ) also provided some level of offering to OW members by providing for lounge access to OW Sapphire members flying on JQ ( though do not know whether it currently does )

You issue, iirc, is simply a specific issue that QF seems to be no longer offering X/U classes on QF codeshares
Old Sep 21, 13, 1:36 am
Original Poster

You issue, iirc, is simply a specific issue that QF seems to be no longer offering X/U classes on QF codeshares

Yes.
Old Sep 21, 13, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I appreciate the replies but what seems to be continually overlooked is that I have already booked a Jetstar flight with Aadvantage miles. It is a JQ operated flight with a QF codeshare. I am 100% certain of both of these facts.
Don't worry too much about what is posted here. The oddity you speak about for some reason we have also seen plenty of times. For some strange reason it appears that generally AA members are able to book QF coded flights using AA miles. Technically everyone here is correct in saying this is not possible, but as you have described, for some reason it appears to be possible.

If you get the flights you want, then enjoy. It's a glitch that has existed since the time it was possible to book QF award flights online via the AA booking engine.
Old Sep 21, 13, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
Don't worry too much about what is posted here. The oddity you speak about for some reason we have also seen plenty of times. For some strange reason it appears that generally AA members are able to book QF coded flights using AA miles. Technically everyone here is correct in saying this is not possible, but as you have described, for some reason it appears to be possible.

If you get the flights you want, then enjoy. It's a glitch that has existed since the time it was possible to book QF award flights online via the AA booking engine.
It's no longer possible. I had the award ticket but had to change the date which I could not do. So I had to cancel the award ticket and buy direct from JQ.
Old Sep 21, 13, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
I agree with the OP that if there is U/X availability on a QF flight number on a JQ fligth, that there is no issue using AAdvantage miles to redeem on that flight and have seen numerous redemptions both domestically and internationally

QF is not obligated to offer X/U availability on the flights however and if no U/X availability is released, then cannot book using AA miles

The latest complaint seems to be that Jetstar is welcoming OW members on the onboard message