Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Old May 14, 13, 6:15 pm

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Jetconnect aircraft will have guaranteed AVOD IFE, while some QF mainline operated Trans-Tasman flights may not have this on the 737-838 used, although this may have changed as QF are getting more 737-838 fitted with the AVOD IFE.
Also I believe, cabin crew at least, for JetStar New Zealand are Jetconnect employees, separate contract etc to the QF branded ones. At least that was the case when JQ started its operations, initially out of CHC for Trans Tasman flights, but this may have changed.
Of course this is all thread drift but in response to the question, it may have been a recent change to AAdvantage rules.
Old May 14, 13, 7:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Also I believe, cabin crew at least, for JetStar New Zealand are Jetconnect employees, ....
Ohhhh, this is starting the confusion again
Old May 14, 13, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by og View Post
Ohhhh, this is starting the confusion again
Confusion or clarification
Old May 14, 13, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
On many ways, Jetconnect is to Qantas what Skywest is to American Eagle/American Airlines.

i.e. "Operated By Skywest Airlines As American Eagle" has the same effective meaning as "Operated by Jetconnect for Qantas"

Basically operates under QF flight numbers with crew using QF uniforms.
Old May 15, 13, 4:27 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Back the OP's concerns (and JQ58 is DPS-DRW-CNS - which has nothing to do with Jetconnect!) I think this could be tied in with recent changes to classic award availability ( in the QFF program) on JQ flights.

Prior to this recent change (made on 8th April), QF redemptions on JQ had to be booked as ASA's or on the QF code on the JQ flight. Now you cannot book QFF redemptions on JQ on a QF code - ONLY on the JQ code.

What else have I noticed?
1) QF code that sat beneath JQ operated flights on Melbourne Airport website (flight info) has disappeared recently
2) Oneworld used to show QF codes on some routes as QF* operated by Jetstar (eg DPS-DRW). Now it shows nothing on such routes.

This points to a conclusion that QF codes on JQ flights have been dropped/removed/eliminated for new bookings. Something many would think is a good idea, but obviously there has been some collateral damage to people like the OP.
Old May 15, 13, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Back the OP's concerns (and JQ58 is DPS-DRW-CNS - which has nothing to do with Jetconnect!) I think this could be tied in with recent changes to classic award availability ( in the QFF program) on JQ flights.

Prior to this recent change (made on 8th April), QF redemptions on JQ had to be booked as ASA's or on the QF code on the JQ flight. Now you cannot book QFF redemptions on JQ on a QF code - ONLY on the JQ code.

What else have I noticed?
1) QF code that sat beneath JQ operated flights on Melbourne Airport website (flight info) has disappeared recently
2) Oneworld used to show QF codes on some routes as QF* operated by Jetstar (eg DPS-DRW). Now it shows nothing on such routes.

This points to a conclusion that QF codes on JQ flights have been dropped/removed/eliminated for new bookings. Something many would think is a good idea, but obviously there has been some collateral damage to people like the OP.
Thank you for the most sensible reply to my post. Post-April 8 seems about the time I started having problems changing the date of my flight.

But is the change just for new bookings? What about just a date change?
Old May 15, 13, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by povertyjetset View Post
But is the change just for new bookings? What about just a date change?
If you had booked using QFF points, a date change would (I guess) see you moving to a JQ coded flight. Of course AA members do not get access to JQ as they are not a partner, so (also guessing) would not be able to access any JQ inventory now that they no longer have QF codes. The only hope would be for those with bookings on a route that both JQ and QF operate, which is not the case in your situation.

The only other solution to this (if allowed under AA rules), if it is part of a multi-city itinerary is to try and get this incorporated as a surface sector and stump up the cash for the one way Jetstar flight which could be a small or large sum of money depending on the day you wish to travel.
Old May 18, 13, 4:00 am
Original Poster

I've spoken to a few agents and they are all surprised by this development. Also, there was no notice in the "News and Info" section of the website mentioning any change in program rules. Sure, AA can change the program any time but most airlines, including AA, seem to be pretty good about giving major advance notice of changes.
Old May 20, 13, 3:01 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I've spoken to a few agents and they are all surprised by this development. Also, there was no notice in the "News and Info" section of the website mentioning any change in program rules. Sure, AA can change the program any time but most airlines, including AA, seem to be pretty good about giving major advance notice of changes.
There doesn't have to be a rule change as such. Qantas may now just release zero awards on all Jetstar flights under the QF code going forward.

Hence, no availability.

QFF members can book JQ award seats under JQ code.
Old May 26, 13, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux View Post
There doesn't have to be a rule change as such. Qantas may now just release zero awards on all Jetstar flights under the QF code going forward.
There are no longer QF codeshares on Jetstar flights - that's why they are no longer bookable by Aadvantage members. That's the program change.
Old May 26, 13, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no longer QF codeshares on Jetstar flights - that's why they are no longer bookable by Aadvantage members. That's the program change.
Yes there are. Just checked 1 as an example and QF283 still exists which is the codeshare on JQ3 to Honolulu

If Qantas had stopped codesharing on JQ, then that would still not be a programme change, just a change of Qantas routes. If Qantas is no longer offering award availability on the codeshares, then your choices seem to be to fly as booked or to cancel

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 26, 13 at 1:42 pm
Old May 26, 13, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Do the QF codeshares still exist in intra NZ flights? (cf L class for xONEx's)

Last edited by serfty; May 26, 13 at 4:33 pm
Old May 26, 13, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Do the QF codeshares still exist in intra NZ flights? (cf L class for xONEx's)
Yes

For example

At 06:00 : AKL-WLG

JQ 263 Y4 B4 V4 T4 S4 R4 Q4 P4 O4 N4 M4 E4 L4 K4 A4 H4 I4
QF 4971 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9

Then onwards

JQ273/QF4971
JQ265/QF4973
JQ267/QF4975
Old May 26, 13, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Yes there are. Just checked 1 as an example and QF283 still exists which is the codeshare on JQ3 to Honolulu

If Qantas had stopped codesharing on JQ, then that would still not be a programme change, just a change of Qantas routes. If Qantas is no longer offering award availability on the codeshares, then your choices seem to be to fly as booked or to cancel
I was only repeating what the AA agent told me. When she looked at available airlines whose flights can be booked with AA miles, Jetstar was no longer there much to her surprise.
Old May 27, 13, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Yes there are. Just checked 1 as an example and QF283 still exists which is the codeshare on JQ3 to Honolulu.l
Just curious where you're finding this info. Qantas.com and Jetstar.com both list JQ3 with no codeshare. Not only that but AA.com does not bring up this flight for award travel but it should if JQ3 exists as QF283. I checked many dates and many other flights were available but never QF283.

I saw JQ3-QF283 on flightmapper but I don't think that is an accurate source because it still lists my flight JQ58 as QF254 which I am 99.44% certain is no longer applicable.

Search this Thread