Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone noticing a problem obtaining Jetstar flights (QF codeshares)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
I appreciate the replies but what seems to be continually overlooked is that I have already booked a Jetstar flight with Aadvantage miles. It is a JQ operated flight with a QF codeshare. I am 100% certain of both of these facts.
I think people are getting needlessly hung up on the terminology. I too have booked QF and been on JetStar across the Tasman. The important bit is that it's "JetStar, operated by JetConnect". Apparently we have to use the full title around here.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nux
JetConnect is NOT Jetstar. JetConnect is based in NZ and operates Qantas flights trans-tasman (basically to save cost). They fly QF branded planes.
While the distinction you're making is accurate in terms of the legal holding companies, I think you're mistaken about JetConnect flying QF branded planes.

They might run some (IDK) but every QF or JQ coded flight I've taken trans-Tasman (upwards of 30 in the last ~24 months) has been on a plane that clearly says and operates as "JetStar". I haven't been on a QF branded plane over the Tasman in almost 3 years.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I think people are getting needlessly hung up on the terminology. I too have booked QF and been on JetStar across the Tasman. The important bit is that it's "JetStar, operated by JetConnect". Apparently we have to use the full title around here.
I don't know where you keep getting "JetConnect" from.

As far as I can see, JetConnect has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's problem.

The flight concerned is JQ58, also sold as QF254.

If bought as JQ58, this is a Jetstar flight.

If bought as QF254, this is Qantas selling QF254 operated by Jetstar.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They might run some (IDK) but every QF or JQ coded flight I've taken trans-Tasman (upwards of 30 in the last ~24 months) has been on a plane that clearly says and operates as "JetStar". I haven't been on a QF branded plane over the Tasman in almost 3 years.
Which routes?

There are, for example, no Jetstar aircraft operating SYD-WLG. These flights are operated by JetConnect using Qantas-branded JetConnect (ZK- registered) aircraft selling QF flight numbers.

On SYD-CHC, there is a mixture of Qantas-branded Qantas (VH- registered) aircraft selling QF flight numbers, and Jetstar aircraft selling both JQ and QF flight numbers.

And I think that on SYD-AKL, it is now a mixture of Qantas-branded JetConnect (ZK- registered) aircraft selling QF flight numbers, and Jetstar aircraft selling both JQ and QF flight numbers.

And so on.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I think people are getting needlessly hung up on the terminology. I too have booked QF and been on JetStar across the Tasman. The important bit is that its "JetStar, operated by JetConnect". Apparently we have to use the full title around here. :rollseyes:
Third times the charm.

Again, no. You would have been on "Qantas operated by JetConnect" flight trans tasman. It would have been a QF flight number, QF branded plane, JetConnect crew (which is basically NZ based QF crew).

If you chose Jetstar trans tasman, it would be a JQ flight, JQ plane, JQ crew. You can book this as a QF code through the QF site, but it would NOT say "operated by JetConnect".

Jetstar is a LCC not part of OneWorld.
JetConnect is a company setup to operate QF flights from NZ trans tasman, and is a OneWorld affiliate. Same as QantasLink which does regional QF flights.

While the distinction you're making is accurate in terms of the legal holding companies, I think you're mistaken about JetConnect flying QF branded planes.

No, you seem to be getting confused with "Qantas operated by JetConnect" and Jetstar flights trans tasman.
The first is QF brand planes, the second is JQ brand planes.

Globaliser sums it up well above.

Last edited by nux; May 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm
Old May 14, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I present exhibit A:-

(Click on image for the page with the full-size photo of Jetconnect aircraft flying QF colours, taken in April 2013.)
Old May 14, 2013, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't know where you keep getting "JetConnect" from. As far as I can see, JetConnect has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's problem.
Thread drift is a wonderful thing.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:25 pm
Suspended

I present exhibit A:-

[deleted for space]

(Click on image for the page with the full-size photo of Jetconnect aircraft flying QF colours, taken in April 2013.)

I stand corrected.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nux

Again, no. You would have been on "Qantas operated by JetConnect" flight trans tasman. It would have been a QF flight number, QF branded plane, JetConnect crew (which is basically NZ based QF crew).

If you chose Jetstar trans tasman, it would be a JQ flight, JQ plane, JQ crew. You can book this as a QF code through the QF site, but it would NOT say "operated by JetConnect".
In the last ~4 years I've been on QF tickets & AA tickets with QF coding & JQ coding for the trans-Tasman bit. I've never bought JQ directly.

They've always been JetStar branded aircraft run by JetConnect. Apparently I'm just unlucky in that regard. The tickets, when printed out and regardless of the the QF/JQ code, always include "Operated by JetConnect."

Regardless, they're crap.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:35 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
In the last ~4 years I've been on QF tickets & AA tickets with QF coding & JQ coding for the trans-Tasman bit. I've never bought JQ directly.

They've always been JetStar branded aircraft run by JetConnect. Apparently I'm just unlucky in that regard. The tickets, when printed out and regardless of the the QF/JQ code, always include "Operated by JetConnect."

Regardless, they're crap.
If you never bought on JQ directly, and purchased either through QF or as part of an AA/OneWorld itinerary then you would be offered two options:

A QF coded flight, operated by Jetstar, and would be on a Jetstar (orange) plane.

A QF coded flight, operated by JetConnect, and would be on a Qantas (white with red tail) plane.

You would never have been on a Jetstar branded plane, operated by JetConnect.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They've always been JetStar branded aircraft run by JetConnect.
AFAIK (but I stand to be corrected if I am out of date on this), Jetconnect does not operate any flights for Jetstar.

If the aircraft says Jetstar on the side, it is a Jetstar aircraft. End of story.

Also, if the aircraft is an A320 family aircraft, it is not operated by Jetconnect, whose fleet is entirely 737s.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Dammit, now I'm going to have to go dig up some boarding passes to see if I'm senile.
Old May 14, 2013, 3:20 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
AFAIK (but I stand to be corrected if I am out of date on this), Jetconnect does not operate any flights for Jetstar.

If the aircraft says Jetstar on the side, it is a Jetstar aircraft. End of story.

Also, if the aircraft is an A320 family aircraft, it is not operated by Jetconnect, whose fleet is entirely 737s.
Just to add clarification to the many clarifications ..

If its an A320 with an orange star then it's JetStar. This may carry QF pax as well as "own metal" JQ pax. As far as I know, JetConnect have nothing to do with this flight.

If its a B737 with red and QANTAS logos, it is either Oz based Qantas staff or NZ based JetConnect staff. These both are effectively identical except for salary, conditions and accent. These are all QF code but may carry JQ code share pax. JetStar don't have anything to do with these flights - indeed, I doubt JQ staff are approved to operate 737 aircraft.
Old May 14, 2013, 3:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Deleted..
Old May 14, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
If its a B737 with red and QANTAS logos, it is either Oz based Qantas staff or NZ based JetConnect staff. These both are effectively identical except for salary, conditions and accent.
At the risk of introducing further complications, should we add that reportedly, "identical" often does not extend to the onboard service, for which Jetconnect crews seem to have acquired a higher reputation than QF mainline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.