Platinum One

Old May 9, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Platinum One

Good morning all,

I have done a search but can not find any reference to the status level Platinum One, which seems to be a new level or VIP program (like the Chairman's lounge) but you just need to achieve a lot of status credits, however the perks seem good.

Anybody going to hope to achieve to this level if they can actually fly the 3,600 status credits?
Old May 9, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The level had been around since late 2011 I believe.

Qualification is 3600 SC's of which 2700 must be earned on QF flight numbers.

There are mixed reports of its effective benefits, although you can pre-select front row seating on domestic flight upon booking. (mere WP generally cannot)

Last edited by serfty; May 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
P1 commenced in November 2011.

In my view, the best benefit (other than being able to select front row in Y - which may not be of much benefit to P1s due to the fact that P1s generally fly J or F) is around reward inventory (see below).

I fly Y domestically (other than to Perth, when it's J) and J (and sometimes F) internationally, so front row is a good benefit for me when travelling on the east coast.

Essentially, there is a dedicated P1 team which only looks after P1s and can help with all sorts of things, including magically making points redemptions available at normal rates when no points seats otherwise exist.

In theory, improved chances of upgrades, but does not happen often.

they have also done some other really nifty things for me, but I don't want to post broadly on the forum about those things.

Would I chase the status especially? No, I don't think it's worth it. But it's nice to have if I'm already reaching the status, and at the very least, it's made me choose some QF flights as opposed to other OW flights to maintain the status.

cheers
Old May 9, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtm1

In my view, the best benefit (other than being able to select front row in Y - which may not be of much benefit to P1s due to the fact that P1s generally fly J or F) is around reward inventory (see below)....
In Business, WP are limited to row 2 and back.

In economy it's from the 3rd row (6 on 737, 25 on 767/330).

This changes at T-80 when some unallocated more forward seats may become available.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by serfty

Qualification is 3600 SC's of which 2400 must be earned on QF flight numbers.
2700 of the 3600 need to be on QF flight numbers
Old May 9, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQ421
2700 of the 3600 need to be on QF flight numbers
Correctamondo ... slip on the keyboard.

Yes, ľ of the SC's need to be earned on QF.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by dtm1

In my view, the best benefit (other than being able to select front row in Y - which may not be of much benefit to P1s due to the fact that P1s generally fly J or F) is around reward inventory (see below).

I fly Y domestically (other than to Perth, when it's J) and J (and sometimes F) internationally, so front row is a good benefit for me when travelling on the east coast.

Essentially, there is a dedicated P1 team which only looks after P1s and can help with all sorts of things, including magically making points redemptions available at normal rates when no points seats otherwise exist.

In theory, improved chances of upgrades, but does not happen often.

they have also done some other really nifty things for me, but I don't want to post broadly on the forum about those things.

Would I chase the status especially? No, I don't think it's worth it. But it's nice to have if I'm already reaching the status, and at the very least, it's made me choose some QF flights as opposed to other OW flights to maintain the status.

cheers
That's a very useful summary, thanks.

My flying profile is similar to yours (I possibly fly QF / VA 50/50 domestically though). Last year I moved away from QFi once I reached Platinum and chased status on Star Alliance, and got to the top tier on Air Canada's Aeroplan scheme (abt 320,000 km flown in all). Thus I have status on both major alliances which allows me to choose more on price and convenience rather than 'loyalty'.

I'm in the same situation now, and need to choose between Pt1 and AC Super Elite (or UA's scheme; AC Aeroplan ain't that great) for my remaining TPACs.

I was tending towards AC or US, but access to reward inventory on QF is important for me, so if its working, then that's a vote for QF Pt1.

Decisions, decisions. Any other contributions to the 'Pt1 is fantastic' side? Any evidence of extra recognition / perks on other OW airlines?
Old May 12, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF, MH
I had platinum one status for a year. There were a few extra benefits, but not a whole lot.

Was offered some free tickets to various events, but I was unable to go to any of them because I was busy. They were offered right at the last minute.

The main benefit I found useful was greater seat selection.

The platinum one desk weren't all that helpful. They seem mainly geared towards complex international itineraries. They did ring me a couple of times but didn't really do much, although I don't think there was much they could have done for me. Although I have heard that they have been very helpful others.

The free exit row seats for international economy flights seems pretty good but I never was in a situation where I needed to use it.

When I was P1 I received 4 free upgrades. I may well have received the same if I was just a platinum. At least for one of them I think being a P1 counted. When I checked in the woman rang someone then stated my name, flight and my status - I then ended up with an upgrade.

I also received six free bottles of wine from Qantas over that period. Two of them were specifically for being a P1. The other four I'm not sure what prompted those.

My opinion was that it was nice to have but not worth striving for. Not sure if I will make P1 again. At the moment I plan to maintain platinum status on Qantas and Virgin Australia. Although with the Qantas/Eimartes deal and Malaysia Airlines joining OW I may get to P1 again.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:45 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by richie9x
Was offered some free tickets to various events, but I was unable to go to any of them because I was busy. They were offered right at the last minute.
Sounds like being on the D list of allocations of Qantas sponsored events with that timing.

I doubt you would get 4 upgrades as a WP.

To date, I've had one op up MEL-SYD!
Old May 12, 2013, 8:37 pm

The event invites are a nice touch, but more often than not I've been traveling, so unable to make them.

My first op-up on becoming P1 was in Dec '11, when was op-up'd from J - F from MEL - LHR.

Have a had a number of other op-ups since, but all domestic. For what it's worth, in the year prior becoming P1, I had 3 op-ups from J - F internationally, so not sure what the system is there.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by richie9x
I also received six free bottles of wine from Qantas over that period. Two of them were specifically for being a P1. The other four I'm not sure what prompted those.
I received four bottles of wine in late 2011 to say "sorry" for the fleet grounding in October 2011.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: QFWP1+LTG,TG-Silver, SQ-Silver,HHonors-Diamond,Marriott Rewards-Silver,SPG
Since September 12 elevation to P1, received 3 int op-ups J-F(SYD-HKG, HKG-SYD) 1 at check in and 2 at the gate, 1 dom op-up in the lounge, 2 bottles of wine in the mail, and very helpful P1 desk assistance with 2 F redemption's not otherwise visible/available at T- 3 weeks, zero event invitations or phone calls.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by QF Lad
I received four bottles of wine in late 2011 to say "sorry" for the fleet grounding in October 2011.
Would they send bottles of wine to someone they know didn't drink?
Old May 14, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
tracking QF acquired status credits

Originally Posted by serfty
Qualification is 3600 SC's of which 2700 must be earned on QF flight numbers.
Is there any way to track QF only status credits other than to manually add them up from the activity statement?
Old May 16, 2013, 6:43 pm

nope, not that I am aware of.

Depending on how many non-QF flights you have, it may just be easier to add up the non-QF flights and subtract that from your current YTD SCs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.