Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEL-DXB F Class next week

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
MEL-DXB F Class next week

A quick question for everyone. Sorry if its been asked and answered before.

I'm flying MEL-DXB F Class next week and have the option of QF or EK. Also A380 or 777 (via KL?). Would it fair in saying that EK on the 380 is the way to go or is QF a surprise favourite? I'm QF Plat and nothing with EK if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2013, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would take the EK option over QF every time. In 1st , I prefer the 777 over the 380, but would take the non-stop over going via KUL though
Old May 3, 2013, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would take the EK option over QF every time. In 1st , I prefer the 777 over the 380, but would take the non-stop over going via KUL though
Thanks Dave. I think you're right about non-stop so the EK 380 it is but I'm curious. What do you like better about the 777?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Thanks Dave. I think you're right about non-stop so the EK 380 it is but I'm curious. What do you like better about the 777?
There are only 8 seats in 1st and I find service to be a bit better with the fewer number of people.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:54 am
Original Poster

There are only 8 seats in 1st and I find service to be a bit better with the fewer number of people.
Ok. Fair enough. Cheers. This is my first time in F on EK or on a 380 so I'm really looking forward to it!
Old May 3, 2013, 3:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Having flown MEL-KUL on EK in F (on 777) as well as EK F on A380 and QF F A380 (many times), I find the pecking order ignoring route, stops and flight times to be QF A380 having the best F cabin and food, then EK A380 which I greatly prefer over the EK 777 even though it is the same physical suite. The A380 has much less vibration and better air quality, which makes a difference (this is matched by Boeing on the 787 but not 777). Also the food on EK 777 has always been a step down from the A380 F catering (perhaps due to route) in my experience.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Do the 777s have showers as well? Are the showers, bar/lounge, etc worth using or are they more of a gimmick type thing?

Probably not much of a deal going MEL-KUL but getting in to DXB at 0530 a shower would be nice either on the ground or in the air.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:22 am

Do the 777s have showers as well? Are the showers, bar/lounge, etc worth using or are they more of a gimmick type thing?

Probably not much of a deal going MEL-KUL but getting in to DXB at 0530 a shower would be nice either on the ground or in the air.
The showers are a great feature if connecting onwards in Dubai. If my destination is Dubai, I find it less useful since I can have a shower when I get to a hotel
Old May 3, 2013, 3:35 am
Original Poster

The showers are a great feature if connecting onwards in Dubai. If my destination is Dubai, I find it less useful since I can have a shower when I get to a hotel
I'll be staying at the IC Festival City but, even with 0800 check-in (which I usually don't rely on) it might be nice to freshen up a bit since the plane lands in Dubai at 0530.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The 777 is much noisier than the 388.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:38 am

I'll be staying at the IC Festival City but, even with 0800 check-in (which I usually don't rely on) it might be nice to freshen up a bit since the plane lands in Dubai at 0530.
Well, take the A380 and try the showers out anyway
Old May 3, 2013, 3:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I would take the A380 over a 777 as well.

Also note if you are on an EK code flight you won't earn QF Status Credits. If you are doing a return, you could do QF one way and EK the other.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by og
The 777 is much noisier than the 388.
That's something I'm going to measure in the next few months. I think the in-cabin noise difference between the 2 is minimal, mainly because the F on EK's A380 is shoe-horned in the upper deck hence the wind noise from the ceiling is there. If you've ever ventured onto the main deck you'd notice it's a bit quieter.

The A380 has 2 advantages: the showers and the higher cabin pressure (@5k feet, whereas the B777 is at 7-8k feet) so makes a slightly more comfortable ride, though the suites in the B777 feel a touch wider.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Well, take the A380 and try the showers out anyway
Done. If for no other reason than to tick "take a shower 30,000 feet over the Middle East" off the bucket list. LOL.

Originally Posted by nux
I would take the A380 over a 777 as well.

Also note if you are on an EK code flight you won't earn QF Status Credits. If you are doing a return, you could do QF one way and EK the other.
Ticket has now been booked and it's a QF ticket on EK metal, EK flight number so you're probably right regarding the status but oh well. I dont get Plat 1 but I don't struggle for Plat so it's not a HUGE loss. Probably should have done QF one way and EK the other and compared though.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:58 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by edy4eva
The A380 has 2 advantages: the showers and the higher cabin pressure (@5k feet, whereas the B777 is at 7-8k feet) so makes a slightly more comfortable ride, though the suites in the B777 feel a touch wider.
My QF 380 flights have not had a noticeably lower cabin altitude. My watch altimeter (zeroed to sea level) has certainly gone over 2000 m on the 380s. On some 737 and other assorted flights I have seen 2450 m (can't recall how 777s do on this comparison). Therefore, I am not convinced that 380s run their cabin altitude at 5k feet. Happy to be corrected. Will compare with TG and LH's 380s in a few months. And the watch altimeter is good to about + or - 5m when calibrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.