Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

For the very pedantic, its T -79hrs 58min 30sec

Old Apr 10, 13, 9:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Just moved from 6D to 4C on a 738 domestic flight and was shocked when the T-80 hr time slot produced no change to the seat map. It was only 1.5 minutes after the magic 80 hrs that the seat map opened up. It was quite stressful thinking that row 6 might be my destany for a 90 min flight
Old Apr 10, 13, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
Slightly o/t but I hope that this is ok...

Do you think that on a 738 4C/D is superior to say 13A/C/D/F?

The A and F seats in the exit rows are wider due to only half an armrest on the window side.

I'm on a DRW-SYD redeye tonight and in 13A - there are people in B and C (there was originally someone in C and now B is showing as blocked out too - so I'm assuming someone has chosen it as opposed to it being a plat shadow) and 4D is available with E and F showing as taken (not sure if it is plat shadow or not). Wondering if I should change to the front...
Old Apr 10, 13, 11:51 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

less noise in row 4. Better legroom (better than Business Class). The downside with 4CD is the curtain (if equipped) that hits you in the face as FAs breeze through the cabin.
Old Apr 10, 13, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
13A/F are not great, despite being an exit row. The way that the windows are placed means that your shoulder is right up against the cabin wall as opposed to dipping into the window space. I recently got stuck next to a rather large chap and basically had to spend much of the flight leaning forward just to get some space.
Old Apr 11, 13, 1:53 am

Row 4 vs 13

I prefer 4A or 4F.
The under-seat storage takes my carry-on and barely impinges on leg room.
And no flappy curtain.
Old Apr 11, 13, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
It does not always happen right on T-80. I used to try to be there on the spot, refreshing, refreshing, refreshing.

I have even had the seating not open up until some minutes and even hours after T-80.

In fact these days I am rather more blase, simply having a look about 15 minutes after.
Old Apr 11, 13, 3:41 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Another vote for 4AF. Great legroom and you can sleep against the wall. Those DRW-SYD redeyes suck bigtime, especially the departure time. I usually go watch a couple of movies in town to kill time before heading to the airport, as there's nothing to do out there.
Old Apr 12, 13, 4:29 am
tt7

Originally Posted by og View Post
For the very pedantic, its T -79hrs 58min 30sec.

....was shocked when the T-80 hr time slot produced no change to the seat map. It was only 1.5 minutes after the magic 80 hrs that the seat map opened up. It was quite stressful thinking that row 6 might be my destany for a 90 min flight
Yes indeed - for me, T - 80 never works, T - 79hrs 58 mins invariably does, T - 79 hrs 59 mins invariably doesn't - so you're probably right that T - 79 hrs 58 min 30 sec is the sweet spot. I have now adjusted the clock on my machine to show seconds, so I can put your theory to the test.

Having worked diligently over the weekend to fix seat assignments for Mrs tt7 on 3 flights this week (4D, 23D (767) and 4D), I was somewhat miffed when she called me from the plane last night to say that they had boarded .. but then complained she was in the bulkhead again ....
Old Apr 12, 13, 7:33 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
I suspect the QF server clock may be out of sync with your clock.
Old Apr 12, 13, 6:01 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
I suspect the QF server clock may be out of sync with your clock.
Or another explanation may be his clock is out of sync with QF server clock.
Old Jun 8, 13, 11:51 pm

Programs: QFF Platinum
After the 80 hour mark, is there another key time when there is a further "opening up" of seats, or is that it?
Old Jun 8, 13, 11:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AussieMiles View Post
After the 80 hour mark, is there another key time when there is a further "opening up" of seats, or is that it?
Not that I'm aware of. If the row 4 seats are "taken", they may have already gone to a P1 when they booked
Old Jun 9, 13, 4:37 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
13A/F are not great, despite being an exit row. The way that the windows are placed means that your shoulder is right up against the cabin wall as opposed to dipping into the window space. I recently got stuck next to a rather large chap and basically had to spend much of the flight leaning forward just to get some space.
I apologise for that but I promise to lose weight. I actually thought you were praying.
Old Jun 9, 13, 5:57 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Keep in mind that sometimes row 1 and row 4/ 23 are placed under airport control if a flight is heavily booked. I have been unable to secure row 1 online (EF shows it being blocked) but have secured it at the airport from the J lounge staff.

I try and stay away from the exit rows as they seem to have less chance of being shadow blocked for Platinum than the first few rows of Y.
Old Jun 13, 13, 8:17 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another day, another flight ... At T-80 hrs, Row 4 didn't open up. Instead Row 4 through to 10 became blocked (as per EF) and all seats in the same rows 4-10 correspondingly "occupied" as per the QF seat diagram. EF shows only a few seats actually occupied - seemingly the same ones that were selected before T-80.

This was for a weekday 18:30 flight MEL - SYD.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: