Wiki Posts
Search

WP upgrades on CX/KA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
WP upgrades on CX/KA

I am a QF WP and I have heard that CX are usually pretty good at upgradng WPs/OWEs.

I need to fly Shanghai-HKG soon. I am closer to Hongqiao than Pudong but PVG seems to have more times, and especially is more convenient for the return leg exHKG.

I need to leave Shanghai on April 1 or 2 and return on the 5th or 6th. How do I check loads to maximise my chances of an upgrade from discount Y? I assume I should aim to be on an A333 rather than a KA A320 so there are more J seats available; there is also a 77W from PVG (CX369) that leaves at 1735 - how does that compare to the A333?

Also are my chances better on a CX A333 than a KA A333?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
CX changed the way they handled upgrades a while back. They will now favour their on CX MP Golds (equivalent to sapphires) over a OW Emerald.

Hopefully you realise that in most cases CX won't upgrade unless they oversell the cabin you are ticketed in anyhow.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:03 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Just as a point of reference, I have never been upgraded on CX ever and I have flown them many, many times. Trying to optimize upgrade chances is setting one up for disappointment IMHO.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Just as a point of reference, I have never been upgraded on CX ever and I have flown them many, many times. Trying to optimize upgrade chances is setting one up for disappointment IMHO.
Agree completely, however I have to admit that I have been the recipient of more than one upgrade on CX. All were however oversell situations and prior to the new upgrade policy.

On two recent CX flights I would be shocked to hear they were not potential oversell situations, and yet I can assure you that I did not receive an upgrade on either. Oneworld Emeralds are a long way down the list now compared to previous years.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
On my first two CX flights HKG-FCO (a year apart and getting near 10 yrs ago) we were both upgraded to F (booked into D). Sadly that's where the upgrades stopped. As said, it is a real let down when you have to travel in your ticketted cabin when there is the expectation that the WP card will allow you to turn left. There is even that complete change in personality when you expectedly wait for the BP reader to "beep" and nothing happens.

The closest to that delight of getting the upgrade was recently when a CX agent found me in the particular Flounge with papers in hand - here was I stupidly thinking "upgrade" when all she wanted was evidence of my ticket number because AA had split our bookings and one number was not visible (even though they issued a BP ).
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Isochronous
I am a QF WP and I have heard that CX are usually pretty good at upgradng WPs/OWEs.

I need to fly Shanghai-HKG soon. I am closer to Hongqiao than Pudong but PVG seems to have more times, and especially is more convenient for the return leg exHKG.

I need to leave Shanghai on April 1 or 2 and return on the 5th or 6th. How do I check loads to maximise my chances of an upgrade from discount Y? I assume I should aim to be on an A333 rather than a KA A320 so there are more J seats available; there is also a 77W from PVG (CX369) that leaves at 1735 - how does that compare to the A333?

Also are my chances better on a CX A333 than a KA A333?

Many thanks!
there is only one daily flight HKG-SHA (Hongqiao) while flights to PVG are hourly (if not more frequent). Flights are often full.

I have never received an upgrade on the route either into PVG or SHA either as a (non-CX) oneworld emerald or sapphire (and I've flown it a couple dozen times).

Personally I think CX is better - the 77W will have IFE, and many KA planes don't.

Try pricing your ticket ex SHA and return to PVG. You might find it prices out the same. SHA is a much better airport to leave from (short taxi ride from the city and virtually empty at check-in counters and immigration/security).
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:35 pm

Location: Shanghai, Beijing, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Vancouver
Programs: A3 Gold, CX, CA, PCR Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, 1865 Voyager
You will find quite possibly that there are more people waiting in the priority boarding line than the normal one meaning lots of passengers with CX GO/MO status are travelling on routes to and from SHA/PVG/PEK. So the chance is slim and do not have high expectation on this.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
There will be plenty of high status CX members on those flights, so a QF WP will be some way from top of the upgrade list.

I had a decent run of Y-J upgrades a few years back as a QF SG, but these days as a WP I've had nothing, even on oversold holiday flights. Oversold PE on an AU-HKG flight would probably be the best bet to get an opup these days.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:56 am
Suspended

Why r u cross posting ? We said so already you chance is so slim u might as well go for flights fit ur schedule. Not even CX DM get opup on this route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.