Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas chauffeur drive and Dubai connect goes live: Very impressed!

Qantas chauffeur drive and Dubai connect goes live: Very impressed!

Old Mar 17, 13, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Thumbs up Qantas chauffeur drive and Dubai connect goes live: Very impressed!

I gotta say- If Qantas does something, they usually do it well ^

I just went into my booking to Europe coming up in early April and the facility to book the chauffeur drive service as well as Dubai connect is now available. Both went super smooth and easy, very neat user interface and no initial hick ups at all. Now I only hope the actual experience will be as good as the booking process. Well done, Qantas!
Old Mar 17, 13, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin View Post
I gotta say- If Qantas does something, they usually do it well
Unlike a certain other airline we know of...
Old Mar 17, 13, 7:03 pm

This kind of service has been offered by Emirates for years if you fly in J for over 12 hours ...
Old Mar 17, 13, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jason Bon View Post
This kind of service has been offered by Emirates for years if you fly in J for over 12 hours ...
You do not need to be flying > 12 hours to get the service from Emirates in business. With a few exceptions, if the airport is one of the many where the service is offered, then it is available.
Old Mar 17, 13, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Oh yes, sure. And now with the new alliance, us QF frequent flyers will be able to use it as well ^
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:25 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold

A couple of years ago I booked EK from Dubai to Istanbul, a flight of 4 hours 35 minutes, and the Chauffeur Drive was available in both Dubai and Istanbul.
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:32 pm

Oh yes, sure. And now with the new alliance, us QF frequent flyers will be able to use it as well
EK never actually had any rules prohibiting those with QF FF accounts from flying with it
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:41 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I still think that the rules are unfair though when going to the US. Unless you are on the "right flights" you don't get it. Classic example is Syd - LAX - JFK, unless you are on 107/108, you don't get it. It seems unfair that because you are forced to take an AA flight to JFK or Newark ( on the same day) you miss out.
Old Mar 17, 13, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wtcmor View Post
I still think that the rules are unfair though when going to the US. Unless you are on the "right flights" you don't get it. Classic example is Syd - LAX - JFK, unless you are on 107/108, you don't get it. It seems unfair that because you are forced to take an AA flight to JFK or Newark ( on the same day) you miss out.
All LAX flights, that is QF11/12/15/16/93/94/107/108 are all eligible from July.
Old Mar 18, 13, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madrooster View Post
All LAX flights, that is QF11/12/15/16/93/94/107/108 are all eligible from July.
Yes- in LAX but not if you're going to New York, that's the issue! I personally prefer the A380 over the older 747s so instead of taking the QF107/108, I rather take the A380 to LAX and then do the last bit on a codeshare on AA metal. This way, you don't get the service in New York- likewise, many of my colleagues prefer going QF SYD-DFW and then also connect on AA to New York and they also miss out.
Old Mar 18, 13, 3:17 am

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
Yes- in LAX but not if you're going to New York, that's the issue! I personally prefer the A380 over the older 747s so instead of taking the QF107/108, I rather take the A380 to LAX and then do the last bit on a codeshare on AA metal. This way, you don't get the service in New York- likewise, many of my colleagues prefer going QF SYD-DFW and then also connect on AA to New York and they also miss out.
Even on EK not all flights are eligible for the chauffeur service, for example the trans tasman flights if ticketed as only trans tasman are not entitled to the chauffeur service.

Emirates also say they fly to 120 destinations, yet only offer the chauffeur service in 55 cities.

With so many code shares in the world then it seems perfectly rational to me that QF will restrict the destinations, and the fights that are valid, that the chauffeur service is available from
Old Mar 18, 13, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by workingman View Post
Even on EK not all flights are eligible for the chauffeur service, for example the trans tasman flights if ticketed as only trans tasman are not entitled to the chauffeur service.
There are only 3 ineligable itineraries iirc

Itineraries which are exclusively between Buenos Aires and Rio de Janerio
Itineraries which are exclusively between Bangkok and Hong Kong

Business Class itineraries which are exclusively between Australia and New Zealand are not eligible for Chauffeur-drive.

(1st class trans tasman is eligable and can make paying difference between business and 1st well worthhwhile; with the chauffeur provision can make the effective cost to pay for 1st quite minimal )

There are some specific restrictions at some places, such as "not for inter terminal transfers"

I would say that the offering of EK is pretty decent and a lot more generous than QF's
Old Mar 19, 13, 3:24 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Great to see this with QF finally as a service. One thing to thank the EK alliance for. I used to get it with Gulf Air in their hey day out of Syd, whether to Singapore, Bahrain or Europe-saves so much stress on arrival esp at places like Heathrow.
Old Mar 19, 13, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
There are only 3 ineligable itineraries iirc

I see that EK seems to be the same as QF for code shares.

"Chauffeur-drive service is not available on flights with other airlines and/or where Emirates is the marketing carrier only. This applies to codeshare flights operated by Korean Airlines, Thai Airways, Oman Air and Jet Airways."

So the QF flights mentioned from LAX to JFK and DFW to JFK are operated by AA, so no chauffeur is applicable.

The list of cities that have chauffeur service is here, http://www.emirates.com/nz/English/p...available.aspx . I notice for example that Jeddah and Karachi are not listed here, so there do seem to a number of destinations that EK do not offer a chauffeur service.

I do agree though that the EK offering is better than QF is introducing, e.g. LHR-DXB is only 7 hours and still gets a chauffeur.
Old Mar 20, 13, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity Red; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by workingman View Post

I do agree though that the EK offering is better than QF is introducing, e.g. LHR-DXB is only 7 hours and still gets a chauffeur.
As a point of reference I recently booked the chauffeur service for an upcoming QF itinerary MEL-DXB-BCN-LHR-MEL, and could book cars to/from the airport for all flights except BCN-LHR (BA metal).

So, I was able to book the service for both ends of the DXB-BCN sector (I am stopping for work in Dubai en route to Europe), which is about 7 hours using a QF flight number on EK metal. ^

Last edited by tallboy; Mar 21, 13 at 5:36 pm Reason: clarity

Search this Thread
Search Engine: