Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

My Qantas miles are about to expire :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:34 am
FxJ
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas

Hi all,

At the end of this month around 12.000miles on my qantas frequent flyer are going to expire. I know is a ridiculous number for many of you guys but are the only miles I got so far.
The problem is that I cannot use them because the cheapest fly I can book cost 14.000miles. I don't want to buy miles as well because the price of 2.000miles is more expensive than booking the same fly (but different flight company) I can book with those 14.000miles.
I'm the only one to blame because I didn't pay any attention about claiming miles when I was flying the last year or I even rented a car when visiting Australia. Also I didn't keep any receipts to claim them now.

Does someone knows how to extend the expiration day without cost?
For example, registering in a webpage, filling a survey, installing a phone app, etc.

If I happen to get even just 1mile from someone does my other miles expiration day would be extended?

In the worst case, is there any way to sell those miles even for a small price?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
This thread was originally posted in the Mileage Run Discussion forum but as it is not about MR's but about expiring QF miles I've moved it to the QF forum for members to try and help original poster.

And BTW welcome to FT!

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Welcome to FT - any activity (other than family transfers) will keep those points alive for another 18 months.

Do you have any (non SPG) hotel stays coming up that you could credit to Qantas?

Car rental?

More here: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/partners/index

Also, you can transfer points form some schemes to Qantas FF but at a poor rate, e.g. 10000 HHonors points can be converted to 1500 QFF points.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 19, 2013 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:47 am
FxJ
Original Poster

@tcook052
Sorry for the trouble, I thought I was posting in the right place.

@serfty
Thank you for your reply.
Now I know that 1mile or more from a family transfer won't extend the expiration date.

Also, I'm afraid I will lost them all because I don't have any upcoming activities such as hotel stays, car rentals,etc that would earn any mile. I don't belong to other points schemes as well. :S
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
FxJ
Whilst not as good as using for flight awards, you could always redeem for gift cards, and use them as gifts.

or even donate to Unicef. A$100 = 11,600 points.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Just go down to Woolworths, get an every day rewards card, link it to your QF account, spend over $30 and $ over earns a QF point!

Well that's assuming you're in Australia :-)

You can sign up for the Woolies card online too and they'll send it out to you; it's free!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by jozdemir

You can sign up for the Woolies card online too and they'll send it out to you; it's free!
Now if only Woolies had a mail order department where they sent goods overseas .....
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:53 am
FxJ
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for your help.

I don't live in Australia (also not in NZ) so I cannot go with the Woolworths option.

@moa999
Both of them seems like a good option for me. How can I do any of those?

Also, as I said, in the worse case, selling them even for a small price is better than lose them, any ideas/suggestions about that?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:38 am

I'm not sure where you are located (beyond "not Australia or NZ"), but you have enough points for some gift card options for stores that exist outside Australia, like Westfield malls and Foot Locker. It does seem to specify on the site that the cards are good in Australia, but it might be worth inquiring if they can be used abroad...provided one of them interests you.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
This is what I did when my miles were about to expire in January.

Dad opened up an account at my address.
I transferred the miles to him.
Since the account is new - he gets 18 months before they expire.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by FxJ
Thank you everybody for your help.

I don't live in Australia (also not in NZ) so I cannot go with the Woolworths option.

@moa999
Both of them seems like a good option for me. How can I do any of those?

Also, as I said, in the worse case, selling them even for a small price is better than lose them, any ideas/suggestions about that?
You are certainly not allowed to sell QFF points. If there is someone you like in Australia you could always send them a bunch of flowers!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: Qantas FF
Smile Replacement card

FxJ, I believe that you can request a replacement FF membership card and you will be 'charged' 1000 points. This will extend your expiration date, plus it's cheaper than the gift card options (though it doesn't actually get you anything other than a new piece of plastic)
Good Luck!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:03 am
FxJ
Original Poster

Thank you all.

@moa999
Still waiting if you can get me any more information about how to donate to Unicef since I don't think I can go with gift cards as well.

@rankourabu
Is it really that simple?
When they notify me about the miles expiration, they were very clear that family transfers won't change the situation.

@grussellt
You are certainly not allowed to sell QFF points. If there is someone you like in Australia you could always send them a bunch of flowers!
Or you can find someone who wants to send flowers in Australia, pay the flowers with your miles on his/her behalf and get the money that person were suppossed to pay for the flowers
If somebody wants to send belated St Valentine's flowers, please send me a PM :P

@Twinjoeys
I have never had a FF membership plastic card, I just used my membership number for getting the miles. How do you ask for this plastic card? Even if I can never receive it cos I don't live in Australia.

Last edited by FxJ; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:25 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Unicef/ other gift cards.
Logon to your Qantas Account
FF- Using Points - QFF Store
Select the link
Gift cards charity from top menu
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other possibilities (but all cost $$ : may cost more than the value of 12,000 QF points)

Rental car for a few hours : http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/partners/car

Transfer hotel points: (check in complying) http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...hotel-transfer
If you're a member of a hotel loyalty program, you may be able to transfer your hotel points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. Transferring your points is simple and having them in one place could bring you closer to your rewards.
Some hotel loyalty programs offer an automatic earn option where you can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points directly. Minimum transfer amounts may apply.
You can transfer your points from any of the below hotel loyalty programs.
Stay at hotel: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...el/outsideAust
You can enjoy great deals and boost your points balance when you stay at any of our worldwide hotel partners.*
But the Charity gift card is the best choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.