Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

CNN Business Traveller on QF/EK Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

This month's CNN Business Traveller focuses on the 3 Gulf airlines and their approach to alliances.

Interesting interview with the CEO of EK, including his hint at EK putting codeshares on QF flights to the US to provide "a truly transglobal A380 operation with Qantas and Emirates working together."

As Richard Quest says: "Did I just hear the glass cracking in the OneWorld alliance?"

It's on Foxtel in Latest Episodes, O Demand, or see http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/16/tr...ces/index.html

Also has a walk through of the A380, and profiles of the Gulf capitals.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I did speculate a couple (?) of months ago that QF was positioning to leave OW.

If a new alliance using the skeleton of OW does eventuate, I reckon it might be close to EK - AA - QF.

And for the very brave, why not add LA as well.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Except that AA has JVA with BA/IB and the US/AA merger terms seem crafted to keep that Joint Venture in place without affecting terms. EK is more likely to partner with Jetblue than AA Oh wait, they already do

Can a founding member leave Oneworld? Are there special terms that apply, such as automatically dissolving the alliance? I suppose it can be immediately reconstituted, but then it would be called TwoWorld.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't imagine any of the airlines would have wanted a term of forming an alliance which precluded their ability to leave in the future
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
As it is Canadian Airlines (a founding member) left in 2001 when it merged with Air Canada, so I am sure the alliance would survive any member leaving.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by moa999
As it is Canadian Airlines (a founding member) left in 2001 when it merged with Air Canada, so I am sure the alliance would survive any member leaving.
It certainly wouldn't miss QF.

More usefully, OW is in no real danger: it's too profitable for the members.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:08 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
It certainly wouldn't miss QF.

More usefully, OW is in no real danger: it's too profitable for the members.
In what way?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by number_6
Can a founding member leave Oneworld? Are there special terms that apply, such as automatically dissolving the alliance? I suppose it can be immediately reconstituted, but then it would be called TwoWorld.
As I understand it, OW is the only one of the three which doesn't impose a penalty payment on an airline which chooses to exit, which is one of the factors behind it being weakest (I understand Star's exit payment is the highest, being the most restrictive on it's members).

As for OW being "profitable" for it's members, the effect on member airline finances isn't the same as it might be for frequent flyer balances. The alliances have been around for over 15 years and haven't been the answer to the ills of the airline industry, which is why airlines are moving back to more bilateral arrangements.

This is another sobering article - http://www.aviationweek.com/Article....p24-502428.xml - especially as it refers to the "all-but-defection" of Qantas. Bruce Ashby is putting on a brave face but I suspect things have been panic mode for a few months now at OW HQ...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og
I did speculate a couple (?) of months ago that QF was positioning to leave OW.

If a new alliance using the skeleton of OW does eventuate, I reckon it might be close to EK - AA - QF.

And for the very brave, why not add LA as well.
I dun think QF leaving oneworld would be any great loss. They hardly fly anywhere except domestic. For international - unless you live in sydney - there's hardly any advantage of QF over someone like CX... if I'm going MEL-PVG I have to transit SYD with QF rather than HKG with CX. pretty much same same. (and why would I fly angled when I can be full flat on CX?)

OW might lose QF, but it is gaining US. I think CX/BA/AA is a pretty formidable base for an alliance?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
In what way?
QF leaving? With MH now onboard I don't see that QF offers anything to OW.

If QF left (or, remotely speaking, was asked to leave) the likes of BA and/or CX, AA and MH can more than make up for the global reach, such as QF has. As for flights within Oz, Virgin Aus has shown they'll sell themselves to anyone and everyone.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
QF leaving? With MH now onboard I don't see that QF offers anything to OW.
How about SYD/MEL - LAX/DFW ?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og
MEL/SYD to LAX/DFW - but that's about it. Not a huge contribution to an alliance...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by og
Mmm. OW will live & fall by that route.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:58 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by ThomasBne; Apr 19, 2018 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yet Joyce has turned down acquiring 777s, fwiw. He's been there long enough to not be able to dodge responsiblity. Perhaps he has a great plan, but I don't see it and he does better on Masterchef than explaining QF business plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.