Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK 4th Tier Benefits Announced

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Dramatically reduced baggage allowance for QF. WP in Y is cut from 96kg to 50kg, for example, and even in F is a mere 70kg. No shopping at the Dubai gold market! I suppose it makes it the same as for EK. At least QF is being honest about all the great benefits from the EK tie-up.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Qantas changes its baggage allowances yet again
Yep.
FFS how many times in the last 2 years?
Originally Posted by number_6
Dramatically reduced baggage allowance for QF. WP in Y is cut from 96kg to 50kg, for example, and even in F is a mere 70kg. No shopping at the Dubai gold market! I suppose it makes it the same as for EK. At least QF is being honest about all the great benefits from the EK tie-up.
96kg was piece system to the Americas and that remains.
However there is still a reduction to WP benefits....that would only effect me when travelling with the family.

Oh it appears they have finally cleared up the BA lounge fiasco, no access for QP members at all (Unless via COS)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Oh it appears they have finally cleared up the BA lounge fiasco, no access for QP members at all (Unless via COS)
Where do you see this?

What I find interesting is that QP members don't get lounge access when flying EK to anywhere other than Dubai and onward.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Where do you see this?

What I find interesting is that QP members don't get lounge access when flying EK to anywhere other than Dubai and onward.
The Email I got form QF stats that QF Members have access to the AA-Admirals Club in LHR when Traveling EK or QF. So this may be new.

Nothing about BA, but it may imply that BA Lounge access is a thing of the past now.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
What's even more curious is that QF has explicitly stated that points will be earned on EK codes but not status credits - for that you need a QF code.

I wonder whether this was to keep other partners happy within oneworld, especially since there is no financial tie up or JBA in quite the same manner that QF had with BA for example.

This really does smell more like marketing alliances rather than anything as integrated as I was expecting.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:21 pm
qfp

Programs: QANTAS
Thumbs down Drop in ALL allowances...

Originally Posted by number_6
There has been a drop in allowance in EVEY case
The new Qantas arrangements for all destinations to/from Australia (except Americas) could lead to some expensive flights if you aren't aware of the changes and IMO they are a SIGNIFICANT DOWNGRADE in privileges - NOT a "benefit" as Qantas describes it.

For example, if you were Platinum Status and were to arrive at the airport with 96kg (previous allowance) for an Economy flight to/from Asia, you would be charged $1380 because (under the new system of $30/kg) you would be 46kg overweight !!!
Double that price for Europe and you are looking at $2760

Or, for example, if you were Platinum Status and were to arrive at the airport with 96kg (previous allowance) for a Business flight to/from Asia, you would be charged $2040 because (under the new system of $60/kg) you would be 68kg overweight !!!
Double that price for Europe and you are looking at $4080

From 26 February 2013 for travel on or after 31 March 2013+ the weight limits have gone DOWN in some cases SIGNIFICANTLY;

Qantas Club members and Silver Qantas Frequent Flyers
2 pieces (maximum 23kg (50lb) per piece) in Economy —-> 46kg DOWN to 42kg
3 pieces (maximum 23kg (50lb) per piece) in Premium Economy —-> 69kg DOWN to 52kg
3 pieces (maximum 32kg (70lb) per piece) in Business/First —-> 96kg DOWN to 62kg

Gold Qantas Frequent Flyers
2 pieces (maximum 32kg (70lb) per piece) in Economy —-> 64kg DOWN to 46kg
3 pieces (maximum 23kg (50lb) per piece) in Premium Economy —-> 69kg DOWN to 56kg
3 pieces (maximum 32kg (70lb) per piece) in Business/First —-> 96kg DOWN to 66kg

Platinum/Platinum One Qantas Frequent Flyers
3 pieces (maximum 32kg (70lb) per piece) in Economy —-> 96kg DOWN to 50kg
3 pieces (maximum 32kg (70lb) per piece) in Premium Economy —-> 96kg DOWN to 60kg
4 pieces (maximum 32kg (70lb) per piece) in Business —-> 128kg DOWN to 60kg
4 pieces (maximum 32kg (70lb) per piece) First —-> 128kg DOWN to 70kg

I realise that they have removed the piece system that some people disliked, but when weight limits are more than halved in some cases I think that is a serious backward step...

I just spoke to Customer Care about this and my recommendation is to call them on +61 2 9691-3399 and let them know if you are unhappy about this.

You can also contact them using the web;
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...care/global/en

Using this form;
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...form/global/en
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:22 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by qfp
There has been a drop in allowance in EVEY case
Not true. Economy has gone from:
1 bag (23kg max) to 30kg (no restriction on number of bags)

I relocated countries and had 3 bags total weight about 50kg.

Although there are some dramatic reductions on paper, I don't really think it will effect that many people in reality. Who travels with more than 30kg of baggage per person?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Have to agree with nux above. As a Y or PE flyer I now have a much improved weight limit plus ability to carry more pieces. Thanks to EK I can now fly AKL-GLA totally avoiding the dreaded LHR.
Well done QF/EK.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nux
Who travels with more than 30kg of baggage per person?
I do frequently. With a lot more.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:53 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I do frequently. With a lot more.
The longer we are away, the less we carry. Indeed, just carry-ons seem to work ( although we are adopting American practices with by maxing out on what we can get away with - and needing to be early boarding for the obvious reasons ).

But I only carry one book at a time ...
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: QFF
I've never traveled with more then 21kgs checked. Only time I can see needing more is if I'm relocating.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Himeno
I've never traveled with more then 21kgs checked. Only time I can see needing more is if I'm relocating.
When my wife does her annual trip home to the Philippines we normally come back with 2 * 96kg. Hopefully with the reduced luggage limit my credit card bill will be lower. :-)

Last edited by workingman; Mar 2, 2013 at 5:24 pm Reason: Removed image

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.