Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asian Network Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by percysmith
Oh fxck this. All QF flights returning to HK are leaving in the morning now - Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

This trip's off. I'm flying this trip based on afternoon flight availability.

I know this is a question more for CX/AM forum than QF, but what are my rights here? This is an involuntary rerouting and I can't accept the alternate flights. Can I cancel the whole itinerary without charge? I don't want to cancel of my own accord, I have to pay US$120 to cancel (and for my partner too).
i dont think there's any airline that wouldn't let you cancel and get a full refund if you haven't commenced travel and if there is no suitable alternative. Giveit a day or so for the news to filter through to asia miles and they should be aware of what's happened and can give you your options.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Himeno
How does cutting services equal "Stronger links to the key hubs of Singapore and Hong Kong (better frequency and timings as well as increased dedicated capacity)"?
The timings are better to Asia I would say .

The increase in dedicated capacity is explained ; at the moment the flights to Singapore continue onwards to Europe and there is capacity allocated for AU-Europe and also AU-Asia. With the onward sectors being removed, all the capacity is available for AU-Asia now
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The timings are better to Asia I would say .

The increase in dedicated capacity is explained ; at the moment the flights to Singapore continue onwards to Europe and there is capacity allocated for AU-Europe and also AU-Asia. With the onward sectors being removed, all the capacity is available for AU-Asia now
I think it screwed Asian residents but is better for Australian residents.

It screwed me.

Just saw an Aus expat colleague walk down the corridor.
At first I think it didn't affect him, only Sydney flights are affected and he always fly Melbourne.
But I remember his family's "inland" - 3-4 hours drive from Melbourne.
He's screwed too. Can't take QF without staying a night near Tullamarine. Only CX for him now.

I do imagine it'll be better for my Aus mates - I did a CX SYD-HKG redemption yesterday for a mate to attend another mate's wedding next month. He tried picking the 8am but I can only confirm 11am waitlist 8am. He said he preferred the 8am so he can wash before dinner.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 4, 2013 at 4:27 am
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: QFF
Just saw this on the Qantas twitter in reply to the announcement

No more PER-HKG..? This obviously some use of the word "improvements" I was not previously familiar with.
Originally Posted by qantas
As we are shifting our hub to Dubai, these services wouldn't have enough traffic to remain viable. You will still be able to travel to Hong Kong with Qantas via Sydney or Melbourne.
why the f#&k would I I fly to SYDNEY to get to HKG from PERTH? Are you INSANE? No, I'll switch to Singapore Air or CATHAY.
A number of replies there have thus far gone unanswered by Qantas including
How does shifting hub to Dubai improve services to Asia?
and
If QF coded flights to KUL operates on EK metal, I can't use it. Either QF metal to KUL or remove the 2 tier QFF points on MH Or is QF going to get oneworld to allow QF coded EK flights on oneworld explorer tickets?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
i dont think there's any airline that wouldn't let you cancel and get a full refund if you haven't commenced travel and if there is no suitable alternative. Giveit a day or so for the news to filter through to asia miles and they should be aware of what's happened and can give you your options.
Phoned a MPO Tsuen Wan agent. The agent was defensive - initially not giving anything but conceding it's highly unlikely I'll have to pay cancellation fee for an involuntary rerouting. However I have to wait for CX to call me with my options first.

Now I'm sitting here with the 1 July holiday plans in tatters. I can't really book anything else until they present me with my options.

Probably too much to expect them to reseat me on CX's own flights when there were (and still are) no award avaiability on those flights is it? They'd just simply rather refund my YQ and miles than to cannibalise revenue.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I wish shillard's cat would hurry up and take over, I reckon it could do a better job running this airline. AJ has become Tim Clark's puppet.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Phoned a MPO Tsuen Wan agent. The agent was defensive - initially not giving anything but conceding it's highly unlikely I'll have to pay cancellation fee for an involuntary rerouting. However I have to wait for CX to call me with my options first.

Now I'm sitting here with the 1 July holiday plans in tatters. I can't really book anything else until they present me with my options.

Probably too much to expect them to reseat me on CX's own flights when there were (and still are) no award avaiability on those flights is it? They'd just simply rather refund my YQ and miles than to cannibalise revenue.
remember QF has had many weeks of planning for this change. They have policies in place, and have trained their staff to deal with bookings and options.

CX will only have had a short notice of this (maybe the same time as the stock exchange?) and will still be working on the details. Give them 24 hours and they'll know what they're up against and what they can offer people.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nevermind. it was a harsh criticism of the QF PR team's 'you can fly via SYD' to HKG. But it's just not worth it. *sigh*
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
i have a feeling that 'time spent in the F lounge' is probably not a priority consideration for QF

(in fact I wonder if they will be able to close the spa for these early morning departures given an F pax is unlikely to get to want to get to the airport at 7 for a massage!)
Well, yes, it's not likely to be high on their list of priorities. Given the ungodly early hour at which my flight from AKL departs, I was intending to use ~three hours in the F lounge to do a lot of my usual morning routine things and use the spa. Now I'll have to do much more prioritization.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that QF would be classing the shorter connection time as being a benefit not a drawback
Perhaps for those on the first AKL departure, but they've actually prevented QF142 from connecting to QF127 now. Before, there was a nice just-legal connection, and now the only option is to take QF50 and wait for two hours. Some of us might like the wait, but it's eliminated an option for others. (Although I have no idea how much traffic they have coming in to connect to QF127. It seems pretty clear that they're aiming to re-time for O/D traffic, and in a market like SYD-HKG, there's probably a lot of sense in that.)
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
It seems pretty clear that they're aiming to re-time for O/D traffic, and in a market like SYD-HKG, there's probably a lot of sense in that.)
what sense? retiming the flight departure ex SYD so you have to battle peak hour traffic? And arriving in HKG at 1725 instead of 1800? i really can't see the huge advantage in that compared to leaving SYD 45 mins later.

Anyway - it seems they are keeping F cabins on all HKG flights.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:50 am
VLJ

Seems Perth is a big loser in this ...

Would like to know from those more travelled than I.

Our flight from SIN-PER does not exist any more.
If QF offers what they call a 'reasonable alternative' - i.e. flying five hours earlier on the only flight home that day - and we simply don't want to leave at that time - do we have to give a valid reason to refuse the offer?

Or can we say - we don't accept the change and want a full refund of the return leg?

We still want to keep our Per-Sin leg on the first half of the ticket though!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
what sense? retiming the flight departure ex SYD so you have to battle peak hour traffic? And arriving in HKG at 1725 instead of 1800? i really can't see the huge advantage in that compared to leaving SYD 45 mins later.

Anyway - it seems they are keeping F cabins on all HKG flights.
Hmmm, yes, I guess the principle of timing for O/D in that market makes sense. Whether they've actually achieved that with these changes is less clear. It certainly doesn't seem to buy you much getting into HKG (and as you say, may make getting to SYD worse). Perhaps the goal was to get HKG-SYD home earlier? Still not a huge difference that would make or break having a full day of work in SYD after taking QF128 though. Probably not a lot of sense in trying to make sense of what airline execs are thinking…
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Brad Myer
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...5486/global/en

Changes are:

FRA will now be cut from April 2013.

BNE-HKG will increase to daily.

Not all good news!
With the loss of Frankfrurt goes a possible way to avoid going through Dubai or flying Emirates. Malaysian is looking increasingly like a good option for LHR-BNE flights now, especially as they don't have the sparrow farts arrivals I don't like.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Asian Network Changes

First look: MUC-DXB-SIN on EK with QF code.
That would save my 4 ~.

Then: 5500 Euro for a return in october where EK carges 2700 Euro? ...!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:54 am

• No confirmed upgrades to the crappy A330 product that is now no better than a mainland Chinese airline.
  • Reducing frequency on key business routes.
  • Effectively pulling out of Perth and pulling out of Adelaide (I don't live there, but still how could Qantas not make money out of Perth?!?).
  • No new Asian destinations, and some vague rumours on new flights maybe starting in 2016 or after.
  • No new codeshares announced, just some vague announcement on working closer with partners

The Kuala Lumpur line as a new destination is a slap in the face too. Also WHY WHY WHY would I pay a premium to fly QF SYD-HKG if I can book on CX and have the choice of 4 daily flights, not to mention a consistent product?

If I wanted to fly Emirates, I would book WITH Emirates, not paying double the price to fly on a QF code just so I can earn some points to upgrade to Business SYD-MEL.

Qantas - the dying kangaroo. Time to go AJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.