Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

BA9 Premium Econ to Bus using QF FF points?

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I've been booked on a one way London to Bangkok flight BA9. Secretary has booked premium economy.

However, via the travel agent I was told that QF points can't be used to upgrade on this flight.

Doesn't strike me as true, but stand to be corrected!

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True. You cannot use QF points to upgrade a BA flight (or any an other airline)
QF points can only upgrade QF flights (marketed) on QF aircraft (operated) on eligible fares
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That's true I'm afraid. QF points can be used to buy award seats outright, but not to upgrade.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
One day, oneworld will be dragged kicking and screaming onto the same level as Star Alliance (where I believe it can be done), but until that day, the answer is no.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
It can be done in *A, but usually requires a (prohibitively) expensive Y or B econ fare.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by QF WP
One day, oneworld will be dragged kicking and screaming onto the same level as Star Alliance (where I believe it can be done), but until that day, the answer is no.
Yep. Great news that today OW have finally addressed the lack of consistency across the alliance re. baggage benefits and fasttrack access for elites - http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=53802 - and thus moving to something similar to what *A offers in these areas, but sadly it does not look like they are going to offer any time soon the *A benefit of being able to use miles/points to upgrade on airlines across the alliance (if only on certain fares).
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:01 am
Original Poster

*A - love it! Took me a while to work it out.

I am indeed a Star Alliance member, so knew it was possible there. Surprising one world doesn't allow it.

Many thanks again everyone for the help. Saves me sounding like a twat when calling up the BA office asking for a points upgrade.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
BA sometimes offers a cheap cash upgrade at the airport when checking in. If they don't offer it, ask what the price would be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.