Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

FF Gold member then going down to Bronze

FF Gold member then going down to Bronze

Old Jan 17, 13, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by appleosprey View Post
I think the renewal price is around 300$ for qf club and the admirals club yearly is around 400-500. With the AA 30 day $99 membership is it easy to buy and receive card to show qf lounges to get access. That does seem like a good deal
If all your travel to start is close together (or even just the OZ-UK) then, as Dave suggested, do the AA Challenge, earn platinum status off that one flight, and then you have guaranteed entry to AC and QC for 12-14 months because of the PLT status. If you're doing 50,000 miles within ~2 months then you can get AA PLT status that way (and have AC & QF (& BA club, I think) access from then).

Short version: Just go with AA crediting, don't bother with QFF!
Old Jan 17, 13, 11:17 am
Original Poster

I just checked the qf website it was you need 700 sc to get gold. On just one trip to australia will get 360 sc. as sector is lhrmelbne-then internal bne-mel-bne then returning Bnemellhr. This shows up as 360 sc in economy. Also the month before will be getting 160 sc from AA and ba flghts. So the remaining 180 will prob get after returning to australia the second time. I think it's a better option than AA. I will not be using AA after this year. Very unlikely just qantas and my aim is to avoid paying qp joining fee. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old Jan 17, 13, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked the qf website it was you need 700 sc to get gold. On just one trip to australia will get 360 sc. as sector is lhrmelbne-then internal bne-mel-bne then returning Bnemellhr. This shows up as 360 sc in economy. Also the month before will be getting 160 sc from AA and ba flghts. So the remaining 180 will prob get after returning to australia the second time. I think it's a better option than AA. I will not be using AA after this year. Very unlikely just qantas and my aim is to avoid paying qp joining fee. Thanks for all your help guys!
Unless you are booked in full fare economy (Y) class, the earnings to Qantas in SCs are

LHR-MEL : 60
MEL-LHR : 60

Total 120.

If booked in full fare Y then you would earn 240 SCs

MEL-BNE-MEL-BNE-MEL will get 60 SCs unless booked in VLMKHYB class in which case it is 120

If you are actually booking full Y then it will be 360, though more likely it would be 180

If crediting full Y to AA, then would earn 36,654 points of the 50,000 needed for Platinum status

if you were to fly discount economy on BA flights to Australia, you would get around 23,000 of the 50k needed to get to Platinum status

Based on the travelling you seem to be planning to do, you should be able to earn the same ( or more ) to AA than you would to Qantas ( and if you choose to do the challenge , significantly more ) . If you look at redemption costs you could be well ahead. e.g. AA requires 60k miles for business class Melboune-London on Qantas whilst QF requires 128k miles plus $411.50 for the same trip. ( Note Both would also have taxes of $82.95 to pay )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 17, 13 at 2:39 pm Reason: include correct classes
Old Jan 17, 13, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post

MEL-BNE-MEL-BNE will get 60 SCs unless booked in KHYB class in which case it is 120

MEL-BNE-MEL-BNE will earn 90 SC's if booked in Y B H K M L or V classes- for domestic flights they are considered "Economy".

If booked in S N O Q E G X then that travel will earn 45 SC's as those classes are considered "Discount Economy" for domestic flights.

Qantas redefined the earnings categories for domestic flights last year.

When booked as part of an "Any Seat" Award
Old Jan 17, 13, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
MEL-BNE-MEL-BNE will earn 90 SC's if booked in Y B H K M L or V classes- for domestic flights they are considered "Economy".

If booked in S N O Q E G X then that travel will earn 45 SC's as those classes are considered "Discount Economy" for domestic flights.

Qantas redefined the earnings categories for domestic flights last year.

When booked as part of an "Any Seat" Award
You are correct on the calculations....which are basis on which I worked... the main mistake I made wasn't the points is that the planned flights are MEL-BNE-MEL-BNE-MEL.. plus should have allowed the extra classes

The key aspect is that it is unlikely that the OP would get 360SCs from the trip ... if he was to get 360SCs then I would suggest that travelling QF crediting to AA would still be a much better return for FF miles
Old Jan 17, 13, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

I get what you are saying. My miles will be better value for redemption with AA. They do seem more generous than QF. I have just looked at the ticket and all classes are economy O class. So that might make it discount economy. I tried to look on the advantage site but I couldn't calculate these points. They make it so confusing. I'm glad you guys are here to help.
Old Jan 17, 13, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes as I'm new I thought it was economy gets the economy sc but I have just researched and O class is discount economy. That means half the sc I thought I would get. It's very hard for people not used to frequent flyer program's to understand them. If AA give me more miles than qf then I should get an advantage card. Thanks again.
Old Jan 17, 13, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes as I'm new I thought it was economy gets the economy sc but I have just researched and O class is discount economy. That means half the sc I thought I would get. It's very hard for people not used to frequent flyer program's to understand them. If AA give me more miles than qf then I should get an advantage card. Thanks again.
Do you have all your flights booked? If so , you should be able to work out what the earnings are going to be

If they are all O class
Credit to AA

AA flight number 100%
BA flight number 100%
Qantas flight number 50%

Credit to QF

AA flight number ZERO miles
BA flight number 25% miles ( except for flights from EU-Asia/Australia and Asia to Australia)
QF flight number 100% miles

Depending on what you have booked, you may earn slightly more or slightly less to one scheme or other, but I suggest that you look at the redemption tables for the 2 schemes to compare overall value. For premium class travel, AA redemption rates are typically a lot lower than QF's

If you are booked on QF to Australia, if you can switch to BA ( or at least the BA code shares , your earning to AA can be greatly increased such that will easily win imo )