Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne Qantas F lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Got to use the QF Floung MEL last week. Overall I was not impressed.

* No signage on how to find it. There are signs for the EK and CX lounge, but but not QF F. Mentioned it to the ladies at the front, and they said they are aware of it.

* Service was good.

* A lot of the seating does not have any access to power points - we used the ones at the servers stations.

* All food is a la carte - no mini buffet to grab a quick snack

* Ladies at the front rather loud. We heard several times that "tomorrow's flight (not sure which one) had 6 pax in F - all male and needed 6 L x XL PJ's and amenity kits loaded", and then something about meals. Took away from the relaxing atmosphere.

* Showers were good - did not use the Spa.

It was queiter then the J lounge, but not a huge difference like CCR and BA J @ LHR or EK F vs. J at DXB or QR F vs. J at DOH.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Got to use the QF Floung MEL last week. Overall I was not impressed.

* No signage on how to find it. There are signs for the EK and CX lounge, but but not QF F. Mentioned it to the ladies at the front, and they said they are aware of it.

* Service was good.

* A lot of the seating does not have any access to power points - we used the ones at the servers stations.

* All food is a la carte - no mini buffet to grab a quick snack

* Ladies at the front rather loud. We heard several times that "tomorrow's flight (not sure which one) had 6 pax in F - all male and needed 6 L x XL PJ's and amenity kits loaded", and then something about meals. Took away from the relaxing atmosphere.

* Showers were good - did not use the Spa.

It was queiter then the J lounge, but not a huge difference like CCR and BA J @ LHR or EK F vs. J at DXB or QR F vs. J at DOH.
Given the construction MEL T2 is undergoing, much of the signage is obsured. I would expect it to become more obvious when the construction completes.

There is a small buffet but this is only used in peak times (mid morning, mid afternoon and evenings before Qf9).

There's power points at the desks; I use those alot.

If there was too much noice from the reception desk, I suggest you notify Customer Service; they can't fix a perceived issue such as this one that may detract from ambience if they do not know about it.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Even before the construction I thought signage at MEL (in general) was poor. Its fine if you know where you are going, but if not, then its a searching game.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I didn't know that the qantas lounges don't open the bar until midday, but is this true of F lounges in MEL or SYD? I know that many F lounges has an open policy. I have a late am flight MEL-AKL and was hoping for some bubbly.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:14 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I didn't know that the qantas lounges don't open the bar until midday, but is this true of F lounges in MEL or SYD? I know that many F lounges has an open policy. I have a late am flight MEL-AKL and was hoping for some bubbly.
F Lounges certainly serve Champagne at breakfast. I imagine they will serve you anything.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by tfizzle
The hours restriction is only for Domestic Lounges. International Lounges - including MEL/SYD F - have no such constraint.

Regards,

BD
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:23 am

Great, thank you. that is what I needed to hear..... Cheers
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note the MEL First lounge does not serve Liquor until Noon on April 25th being "ANZAC" Day.
tfizzle, BD1959 and Koru Flyer like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:47 am

I'm fond of the salt pepper squid. It is usually good at SYD F depending on the chef of the day. Crispy, lots of flour coated with consistently good green chilli sauce . The same squid @ MEL F however is consistently greasy and at the same time, less flour coated, lighter in colour suggesting perhaps, less cooking time. The sauce seems slightly different. So much for MEL being the food capital.

I now try to avoid flying via MEL if possible.

I know, first world problems.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poopbunny
I now try to avoid flying via MEL if possible. ...
Since being served rancid S&P squid in SYD First back around 2009 I havn't had it again.

Once disconcerting experience I had a year or two ago was at LAX around 7pm was when they precooked a bulk load of S&P squid causing a foul miasma of greasy steam to erupt from the kitchen and spill through the nearby dining area.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
Once disconcerting experience I had a year or two ago was at LAX around 7pm was when they precooked a bulk load of S&P squid causing a foul miasma of greasy steam to erupt from the kitchen and spill through the nearby dining area.
They were probably lucky that there was not an explosive flash fire.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:08 am

TBA I was a little disappointed in the MEL first lounge. Crowded at breakfast and had to wait to be served. But just an average bar program. Omelette was decent but the lounge was small . I haven't been in SYD lounge, but I thought the LAX lounge was better.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The MEL F bar keeps their finer bottles hidden and available only upon request (at least that has been my experience). They often have $300+ per bottle offerings available but not on display. The lounge has definitely dropped several notches from a few years ago when it was stellar, I suppose the revenue is not there at MEL compared to LAX and SYD. Small lounge so gets crowded for the US departure particularly as lots of OWE on that route; at other times the kitchen does much better
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:32 am

Bummer I wish I would have known that two days ago. Still a nice set of wines for late morning.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
This is one out of handful of QF lounges which doesn't disappoint me (SYD F and MKY regional QP).
I found the staff here are much more pleasant than even SYD F lounge, but it does get quite busy before US-bound flights or JL773 to NRT (the numbers of JAL Emerald members are absurd, pretty much one-third of the plane, and they all gets access)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.