Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP
New Safety Video

First Johnnie T, then Olympians, now the Cricketers......

Can Qantas just go back to basics and stop offending my ears? I cant stand Michael Clarke at the best of times, but the whole "G'Day Skipper, Thanks Skipper" and "I wish these guys would listen to me" rubbish?

Cornier than a can of cream corn and the sooner it is gone from the screens the better, in my opinion!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Saw it last week and I thought it was CR@P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very cringeworthy.

NZ manage to make quirky funny ones (although the latest hobbit one is a bit naff) but with QF it always seems fake and try hard. If they can't make an amusing one they should just go back to a professional one.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have seen the NZ cartoon video and think it is absolutely dismal; either safety demo is important and should be treated seriously or it should be dropped.

The ironic/annoying message on the virgin blue A330 where it mentions on the lines that if u have flown in the last century u will know it is a non smoking .... the aeroplane I was on was an ex EK aeroplane and they were still allowing smoking at a time where the aeroplane I was on would have been allowing smoking
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
At least QF are changing the safety videos from time to time. That HAS to be an improvement / enhancement.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
At least QF are changing the safety videos from time to time. That HAS to be an improvement / enhancement.
I wouldn't agree; there is a set of information that has to be delivered. Delivering it clearly and concisely keeping it to minimum time without unnecessary garbage is what I would like to see. Once it does that, no need to change it
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't agree; there is a set of information that has to be delivered. Delivering it clearly and concisely keeping it to minimum time without unnecessary garbage is what I would like to see. Once it does that, no need to change it
I still watch the safety videos, but simply can't put up with the excrable Olympians version.

That said, I suppose non freq. flyers may be attracted to watch the safety video if it has some 'heroes' on it, and those pax are possibly more in need of the video than those of us who use this forum.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: QFF
Can't they do what AA did and make a video with QF staff?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Of course the most effective safety demonstration is to try it yourself. Its easy to watch someone putting on the life vest and clipping the tapes etc, but doing this yourself in a crisis will be somewhat different (eg night, no cabin lights, smoke). But then again the odds of actually getting out in a water landing are not great.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by og
Of course the most effective safety demonstration is to try it yourself. Its easy to watch someone putting on the life vest and clipping the tapes etc, but doing this yourself in a crisis will be somewhat different (eg night, no cabin lights, smoke). But then again the odds of actually getting out in a water landing are not great.
I'm constantly amazed that they tell people to inflate the vest on exit, but don't point out that it's a good idea to grasp the top of the vest and pull it down as you jump into the water.

I can only assume that those making the video have never actually tried that.....

As for the current edition, me no speakah dah cricket.....
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
The fact that people have posted in this thread shows that the changes are working - ie making regular flyers actually pay attention.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by moa999
The fact that people have posted in this thread shows that the changes are working - ie making regular flyers actually pay attention.
Sort of like where there's an accident. You look.

Then look away.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:23 pm

Cultural Cringe

For our so-called national carrier to have such a poorly made and tacky safety video is truly worthy of cultural cringe. Whatever agency thought of the idea should be fired.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by shillard
I'm constantly amazed that they tell people to inflate the vest on exit, but don't point out that it's a good idea to grasp the top of the vest and pull it down as you jump into the water.

I can only assume that those making the video have never actually tried that.....

As for the current edition, me no speakah dah cricket.....
That's because all going well you would be stepping into a raft, not jumping into the water.

Should the aircraft be in trouble and a water landing is expected while the crew are preparing for a ditching, detailed instructions are given to the passengers and the distribution of infant lifejackets would also commence.

The key to giving people information for an emergency situation is basic instructions, not over loading them with technical information. If you were required to use a floor level exit without a raft (for whatever reason) you wouldn't actually need to jump too high as the water level would be at your feet. There are several variables to each emergency situation which would require all day to explain but the key message is to inflate your jacket outside of the aircraft so you don't drown trying to evacuate should the aircraft be filling with water.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Sort of like where there's an accident. You look.

Then look away.
My thoughts exactly, I had tuned out by the time I got the "thanks Skipper" bit of corn stuck in my ears first time, and made the mistake of looking up from my book for the "wish they would follow my orders" on the second flight.

Must take ear plugs on my PER-ADL-MEL-SYD-BNE-ADL-PER work run next week, 7 viewings in 5 days could be the end of me!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: VA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Problem is few actually do pay attention anymore, at least from what i have seen. The unexpected voices and intro garners a reaction and people watch, particularly important in these summer holidays periods where once or twice a year know-it-all flyers come on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.