Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bloat-mail comes to QF

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Bloat-mail comes to QF

Email I received today:

Dear Kremmen
Our records show that you are receiving emails from us in text-only format. This means that your emails appear with no formatting, colour or images.

We'd like to advise that on 22 November, 2012 we will automatically update your preferred email format to HTML. From this date, the emails you receive from us will look more like a web page and you will be able to view the images - just like you can in this email.

You don't need to do a thing. We'll just update your profile and you'll soon
start to receive emails from us in HTML format.
Quite apart from the unnecessary waste of space, waste of bandwidth, etc, they sent the above in HTML format, as you can tell by their comment about the extranous images! Yes, the email is 20 times the size it needs to be, so that they can display the Qantas logo and a picture of a chick using a laptop. Retards.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: QF Pl, SQ Gold, HHonors Gold, Accor Gold
Perhaps you can just access their website using Lynx from now on? I assume you know what that is given the occupation listed on your profile and your aversion to images.

Yes, I'm trolling.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peterjloh
Perhaps you can just access their website using Lynx from now on?
Good point! The QF web site demands javascript and won't do anything under lynx. Outrageous!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no need for them to send html format emails and to cap it all the email that they sent to inform of this change ignored preferences and was sent in html format
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Change number 92: Taking notice of customer preferences
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:42 pm

I think it is time to call QFF and remove email details; ah, just found that I could do it online; problem sorted
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
And don't forget that QF advised that it was changing FF Statements to on-line rather than snail mail. The snail mail preference has magically changed to on-line statements. Its also easy to change it back (as advised some months ago).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I think they have decided to cut costs by not having to format a text version of the emails.

Other things are also happening this month with WP being switched to emailed statements.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I will keep receiving emails otherwise I will not be offered Status Credit Bonus Offers etc.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Quite apart from the unnecessary waste of space, waste of bandwidth, etc, they sent the above in HTML format, as you can tell by their comment about the extranous images! Yes, the email is 20 times the size it needs to be, so that they can display the Qantas logo and a picture of a chick using a laptop. Retards.
As an IT Consultant, you should know that all the images are linked, not embedded, so the size of the e-mail is not 20 times bigger. Also, as an IT Consultant, you should be aware that unfortunately, the world of IT has evolved significantly and people other than us IT Consultants/Professionals, prefer "nice and colourful bloat" rather than "boring and efficient text"...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I will keep receiving emails otherwise I will not be offered Status Credit Bonus Offers etc.
I had already informed Qantas that it is not to send me any unsolicited mail other than that needed regarding the account. If it doesn't want to meet my preferences for email, then it can just not send emails
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:50 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by vbroucek
As an IT Consultant, you should know that all the images are linked, not embedded, so the size of the e-mail is not 20 times bigger. Also, as an IT Consultant, you should be aware that unfortunately, the world of IT has evolved significantly and people other than us IT Consultants/Professionals, prefer "nice and colourful bloat" rather than "boring and efficient text"...
If the images were embedded or included as file attachments, it would be way more than 20 times larger file. 20 times is quite likely the extra size of the HTML version over plain text. All the HTML guff, the references to the linked images etc would easily increase the size by 20 times over plain text.

But its not just the size factor. Opening and viewing a HTML formatted email will try to download all the linked images (unless you have configured your email app not to download links), consuming valuable bandwidth and potentially chewing up expensive mobile data quotas unnecessarily.

In today's mobile world, I would rather conserve mobile data consumption for important functions and not just to receive marketing material from Qantas. I prefer plain text as it gets the information across in an efficient manner whether I am reading the message on my PC, my iPad or my Blackberry. Its the lowest common denominator and lowest cost option for my mobile internet connectivity.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by NM
In today's mobile world, I would rather conserve mobile data consumption for important functions and not just to receive marketing material from Qantas. I prefer plain text as it gets the information across in an efficient manner whether I am reading the message on my PC, my iPad or my Blackberry. Its the lowest common denominator and lowest cost option for my mobile internet connectivity.
You have misread my e-mail. I said:
unfortunately, the world of IT has evolved significantly and people other than us IT Consultants/Professionals, prefer "nice and colourful bloat" rather than "boring and efficient text"...
I personally also prefer clear text communication, particularly when on mobile device. However, my job also requires to listen to my customers and most of my customers (University students) are technology hungry and prefer "nice, flashy things"...
I am sure that Qantas can clearly document that people are asking for this and again, we who do not like that are in significant minority... I would bet on it.
I still do not think that the e-mail is 20 times bigger. Latest statement that I have is 91kb... Of course without the pictures, but I do not think that I would fit all the text that is there into 91/20=4.55kB But I might be wrong, of course...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:41 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
#1stworldproblems
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
#1stworldproblems
That this only pertains to those that are members of QFF and generally likely to be part of 1st world ( though I would suspect that there are members from 3rd world countries ) , matters how?

issues such as change to loyalty bonus etc are all of the same nature in that they only affect QFF members

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.