Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forthcoming change to Loyalty Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Fitst they cancel the possibilities to fly with them (LHR-HKG and LHR SIN).

Yes, I substitute those flights with BA.

Then I am punished again! I want to fly QF, but with those constant changes and route withdrawals they really make it hard to stay loyal.

Since there are no good possibilities to earn points in Europe besides flying, hotel and car rental it is quite a hard change for me.
You are almost certainly better choosing BA or AA with all the recent changes. QF don't really want people outside of Oz it seems and as it is their programme is now the least generous within OW. QF really has become the equivalent of the UK within the EU of the OW alliance.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I agree. They are making it harder and harder to fly with QF, and then making it even more difficult to get the (stupidly named) "loyalty bonus". Pfft, 8K points for 500 SC's earnt on QF, you can get 8K points for doing four RT's SYD-CBR for less than AUD700, yet the 500 SC's will add more to QF's bottom line than four returns SYD-CBR ever will.

How about providing something more meaningful in return for the "loyalty" that is being shown? Like a return to the old Upgrade Credits?

How about allowing sectors on non-QF services to count when QF doesn't operate the route? This would ensure that "loyalty" is being rewarded if QF operates a route with a point-earning competitor, but QF is chosen.

Better yet, how about they junk the whole prgram and start again from scratch.

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They are not making it harder to fly on Qantas with this change, there are no changes to flights. QF assumedly feels that they will not lose any appreciable business but will reduce liabilities.

If Qantas starts losing noticeable business perhaps it will change its approach. It has got away with having (imo) a dismal frequent flyer programme for years so far though they could argue that it is one of the top 3 in Australia.

If unhappy with the change, there are other schemes and other airlines
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If unhappy with the change, there are other schemes and other airlines
This alone is not a reason to switch but maybe an other nail in the coffin...
Will do review my earning strategy after hitting LTG (which will take probably two years from now).

When they increased the cabin and status bonus they made Gold closer to Platinum. As Platinum I got a little more of the cabin bonus but no increase of the status bonus.

They are not making it harder with THAT change, but they did (and probably are doing) with several other changes.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
They are not making it harder to fly on Qantas with this change, there are no changes to flights.
Not with THESE changes, but they are making it harder to fly on QF.

SIN-LHR, BKK-LHR, HKG-LHR, to name just a few, all of which make it harder to fly on QF. SYD-LHR with an en-route stopever, all of which would have been possible on QF, no longer are.

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:25 pm

SYD-LHR is possible with a stopover , just will be at a different location

Until people actually react and leave QF ( which it sounds like from the whines that is not going to happen from this ) then there is no reason for QF not to continue to reduce benefits

If QF was a top quality carrier I could understand continuing to use them regardless of FF scheme

As far as routes go, it makes sense to try and maximise profits and I am sure that the aeroplanes can be used more profitably than on the UK run
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:23 pm

My issue is not so much the change in itself, but that this is another case of taking without giving anything back in return to reward loyalty.

Can't QF do something such as a couple of upgrade credits for Platinum Frequent Flyers?

On a side note, I know people who travel to Asia frequently who WANT to fly QF, but cannot due to prohibitive pricing and schedules. For example, a lack of a daily flight to Manila and Jakarta. No flights into KUL. Ridiculous pricing when booking under a QF flight code to ICN. This is business that goes to CX (well not in the case of CGK, but you get what I mean). So the lack of a loyalty bonus on CX codes is not going to change who people fly with. But it might cause people to go to Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:45 pm

Surely , if people flying on CX credit to a CX scheme that is likely an overall plus for Qantas; rather than incurring the liability of the redemptions the liability goes to someone else

I would suspect that Qantas wants people to travel on Qantas, not on another carrier and crediting to Qantas
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:58 pm

Surely , if people flying on CX credit to a CX scheme that is likely an overall plus for Qantas; rather than incurring the liability of the redemptions the liability goes to someone else

I would suspect that Qantas wants people to travel on Qantas, not on another carrier and crediting to Qantas
Exactly, the previous loyalty bonus was arguably too generous in its terms by including other oneworld carriers. It seems reasonable to link it to a QF flight number, but it is a shame that it is not extended to JQ, 3K and other 'Qantas Group' flight numbers, especially at a time VA is adding new codeshares and buying out Skywest and TT.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:19 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
If Qantas starts losing noticeable business perhaps it will change its approach. It has got away with having (imo) a dismal frequent flyer programme for years so far though they could argue that it is one of the top 3 in Australia.
And QFF has been very successful in achieving QF's goals. So not dismal from QF's perspective, but certainly dismal from some member's perspectives.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by FormalHall
Exactly, the previous loyalty bonus was arguably too generous in its terms by including other oneworld carriers. It seems reasonable to link it to a QF flight number, but it is a shame that it is not extended to JQ, 3K and other 'Qantas Group' flight numbers, especially at a time VA is adding new codeshares and buying out Skywest and TT.
+1

Flying CX/BA/AA and getting a "loyalty bonus" always seemed a bit odd to me.

On the other hand, flying JQ/3K etc on points/SC earning flights should also contribute to the loyalty bonus IMHO. You're paying for points/SCs, and you're being "loyal" to the QF group.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:26 pm

Maybe they should introduce a loyalty bonus for the shareholders who have gone years without a dividend.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by FormalHall
Maybe they should introduce a loyalty bonus for the shareholders who have gone years without a dividend.
Now you are being just plain silly
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:53 am

SYD-LHR is possible with a stopover , just will be at a different location

Until people actually react and leave QF ( which it sounds like from the whines that is not going to happen from this ) then there is no reason for QF not to continue to reduce benefits

If QF was a top quality carrier I could understand continuing to use them regardless of FF scheme

As far as routes go, it makes sense to try and maximise profits and I am sure that the aeroplanes can be used more profitably than on the UK run
I used to travel LHR-SIN more often than the tag on to Australia. When I go to Australia I need a stopover in SIN. QF were offering a good product to Asia (and I liked to add on a trip to Australia once a while).

Sure it makes sense to operate on more profitable routes. But they are pulling too many plugs a the moment.

Why is ist bad to credit partner flights to QFF? They get extra revenue from that! If QF does not that we credit other flights to QFF, they should leave Oneworld and end those partnerships: Single rule - miles and SCs only on QF flights!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by NM
And QFF has been very successful in achieving QF's goals. So not dismal from QF's perspective, but certainly dismal from some member's perspectives.
Seems to be the most profitable asset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.