Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Which side of the plane to sit on SYD-MEL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club

We are flying SYD-MEL on 7th Dec. We would like to see an amazing sunset on departure over Sydney or enroute.

I intend to use BA Avios for redemption seats on QF465 departing at 19:00. Is this a good flight? Unfortunately the next flight isn't until 20:30 by which time I think it would be too late. Which side of the plane is the best for views?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Strawb
We are flying SYD-MEL on 7th Dec. We would like to see an amazing sunset on departure over Sydney or enroute.

I intend to use BA Avios for redemption seats on QF465 departing at 19:00. Is this a good flight? Unfortunately the next flight isn't until 20:30 by which time I think it would be too late. Which side of the plane is the best for views?
How long is a piece of string?

Too many variables, wind conditopns on the day (dictating active runway), flight pathing by ATC. Too hard to say this far out,

Having said that though, there isn't really a lot to see, I would just get whatever seats you can on a wodebody, and choose your seating accordingly based upon how many people are in your group.

Dave
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
You are flying roughly in south direction so if you want to see to the west, you need to sit on the right side... Sunset in Sydney is at 19:57 on 7 Dec 2012, so by that time you will be heading south no matter what departure procedure will be used...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I have booked my flights on QF465 for the 7th Dec. There are two of us. I was expecting 2-2-2 config on the 767 but the seatmap is showing 1-2-2. For now I have chosen 4A for myself and 5A for my companion so we can both have a solo window seat. Shame they're not on the right-hand side. The first 3 rows are blocked for pre-assignment. It's a Friday evening prime time departure so the cabin might fill up. I'm still deliberating whether to choose the JK seats together on the right-hand side but that would mean my companion would miss out on a (bonus) window seat as we don't want to sit next to other pax.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Strawb
Thank you. I have booked my flights on QF465 for the 7th Dec. There are two of us. I was expecting 2-2-2 config on the 767 but the seatmap is showing 1-2-2. For now I have chosen 4A for myself and 5A for my companion so we can both have a solo window seat. Shame they're not on the right-hand side. The first 3 rows are blocked for pre-assignment. It's a Friday evening prime time departure so the cabin might fill up. I'm still deliberating whether to choose the JK seats together on the right-hand side but that would mean my companion would miss out on a (bonus) window seat as we don't want to sit next to other pax.
I would stick with the seats you have if you like the solo seats; there ime isnt generally major views when departing Sydney; the best views tend to be arriving into Sydney when arriving from the north. Departing, it will either head off south or turn south pretty quickly after take off
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:21 pm

If the flight is on time you may well be too early for the sunset. The flight time is 1hr 20min, & sunset for Melbourne that day is 20:32.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
1-2-2 is the 767 Dreamtime seat config. Don't be surprised if the seat map changes to 2-2-2 sometime before the flight.

If you are travelling together, I would get the best J/K seats, as then if the plane config changes you will still be in a pair together.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
For sunset viewing you really are between a rock and a hard place.

As posted, on the 7th the Sun is due to set in MEL at 8:32pm

From 11km high you may be better off on the 8:30pm flight where from the A seat you'll chase the after glow and final sunset - on the 7pm flight it will still be too high in the sky for sunset even upon landing.

Note that during the latter third of the flight, the aircraft will be heading more into the sun than laterally. Normal routing is over Wollongong and across to areas around Yarra Glen before a Westerly course to MEL.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SYD-wol...2b%22%25U%2212
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I really wanted to be on the 8pm flight but no award seats for the 7th. Anyhow, it's all booked. I understand the seat configuration can change at anytime.

I just love watching sunsets from the air!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.