Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore-London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:01 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Thank you Dave.
That would be a good option. Do we accrue FF points on QFF program for a purchase such as this?
We can cancel the Sin-Per leg quite easily to do this.

A teeny bit disappointed the A380 is the short leg

Not sure what the quality of the 777 10 hours to Perth is like?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VLJ
Thank you Dave.
That would be a good option. Do we accrue FF points on QFF program for a purchase such as this?
We can cancel the Sin-Per leg quite easily to do this.

A teeny bit disappointed the A380 is the short leg

Not sure what the quality of the 777 10 hours to Perth is like?
Given that your journey is scheduled after the alliance starts , you may well be able to accrue to QFF if desired, but I would suggest that the EK programme is a much better value programme for those travelling in premium cabins

The 777 business class is quite reasonable; they have lie flat ( but not horizontal ) seats, decent (imo) catering, very good IFE options with a nice large screen, plus, of course, provide the chauffeur service at FCO and PER plus , if you choose to stopover in DXB, a car from and to the airport in Dubai

Dave
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:10 am
VLJ
Original Poster

This has changed everything. Much cheaper option - however...

I have checked the website
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ship/global/en

It says we DO accrue points but I would want that confirmed when booking.

I also think the option to check our luggage all the way thru to Perth is very attractive and gives us extra holiday time in Italy not having to worry about transits.

The chauffeur service may not apply in Rome as it is under ten hours? Or do Emirates give you the service no matter the flight length?

That means we also get chauffeur driven home????

Sounding even better ...

There seems to be a lot of discrepancy in price - my husband checked Emirates Paris-Dubai-Perth and it was 8048 euros whereas Rome-Dubai-Perth is 4530 for two in Business.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by VLJ
=
I also think the option to check our luggage all the way thru to Perth is very attractive and gives us extra holiday time in Italy not having to worry about transits.

The chauffeur service may not apply in Rome as it is under ten hours? Or do Emirates give you the service no matter the flight length?

That means we also get chauffeur driven home????
Emirates provides chauffeur service in most locations and FCO, DXB and PER are locations where it is provided

I don't see what more you would want confirmed about FF earning than what QF publishes. I would still look at the earning that you could get on the EK scheme and then determine which gives the better earn/redeem rates . FCO-PER could accrue you 32,000 miles on the EK scheme

Originally Posted by VLJ
Sounding even better ...

There seems to be a lot of discrepancy in price - my husband checked Emirates Paris-Dubai-Perth and it was 8048 euros whereas Rome-Dubai-Perth is 4530 for two in Business.
Rome to Dubai at EUR4530 for 2 sounds right for one way from Italy. Fares for Paris to Australia are indeed a lot more at around EUR4000 each. No discrepency, just that the fares are different

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 30, 2012 at 1:23 am
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:19 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Thanks Dave - I really appreciate you offering the alternative ideas.
I am running out of time (three months away) and we were about to book Singapore Airlines from Paris to Singapore.
Rome-Dubai-Perth is the same price and we get all the way home in J.
Will start doing the legwork. The icing on the cake would be earning the points with QFF.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
No problem with the limo in Rome. We used it last year. Then took a limo from SYD Int to SYD Dom.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by VLJ
Thanks Dave - I really appreciate you offering the alternative ideas.
I am running out of time (three months away) and we were about to book Singapore Airlines from Paris to Singapore.
Rome-Dubai-Perth is the same price and we get all the way home in J.
Will start doing the legwork. The icing on the cake would be earning the points with QFF.
Rome-dubai-Perth is a nice easy journey plus being able to get refunded on the SIN-PER and get the FF miles and the taxes/fines back for the BA flight sounds like a good deal to me. Nice 1 stop service sounds pretty reasonable

List of cities offering chauffeur drive and the mileage limits are listed at http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...available.aspx
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:31 am
VLJ
Original Poster

There are options of anything from three hours to 22 hours in transit in Dubai.

I know nothing of this airport - as our luggage would be checked through - it might be nice to spend some time walking around before the ten hour flight home.

Any suggestions? Would you spend a few extra hours there?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by VLJ
There are options of anything from three hours to 22 hours in transit in Dubai.

I know nothing of this airport - as our luggage would be checked through - it might be nice to spend some time walking around before the ten hour flight home.

Any suggestions? Would you spend a few extra hours there?
If it was me doing the journey, I would take the A380 service to Dubai, spend the night there and take the 10am service to Perth . Gives a night in a bed and then pop off in the morning. If you do stop , you get the chauffeur service but will need to pay for your own hotel

With < 24 hrs in Dubai, EK can check the bags through to Perth, so no need to collect them in Dubai
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:43 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Sounds pretty good.
Will look into it - thanks again.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With < 24 hrs in Dubai, EK can check the bags through to Perth, so no need to collect them in Dubai

Make sure you pack a change of underwear in your carry-on!!!!!!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Make sure you pack a change of underwear in your carry-on!!!!!!
Two actually, you might want to shower again before your onward flight after all day in a Middle Eastern locality.

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:16 pm
VLJ
Original Poster

Due to itinerary changes we have to fly home now via Paris.

Malaysian Airline Systems flies Paris-KL-Per (A380 and A330) in Business for 3667 EU one way for two passengers.

According to media reports and advice it seems they are part of the OneWorld program and as such we should be able to accrue points with the QFF program by purchasing these seats?

Could anyone please add advice on this?

I am so disappointed as we booked Paris-SIN-Per on Singapore Airlines the day before I found this out and we paid 5266 EU for two passengers in J one way.
Am hoping we can get a refund because the savings would be worth it.
The ticket is a "D" category and from the fine print I can find it is US $100 for cancellation, not sure if that is per person or per booking.

But it would be worth it to save a heck of a lot of $$ and to gather FF points.

Although we would have to wait until Feb 1 to make the new booking on MH?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by VLJ
Due to itinerary changes we have to fly home now via Paris.

Malaysian Airline Systems flies Paris-KL-Per (A380 and A330) in Business for 3667 EU one way for two passengers.

According to media reports and advice it seems they are part of the OneWorld program and as such we should be able to accrue points with the QFF program by purchasing these seats?

Could anyone please add advice on this?

I am so disappointed as we booked Paris-SIN-Per on Singapore Airlines the day before I found this out and we paid 5266 EU for two passengers in J one way.
Am hoping we can get a refund because the savings would be worth it.
The ticket is a "D" category and from the fine print I can find it is US $100 for cancellation, not sure if that is per person or per booking.

But it would be worth it to save a heck of a lot of $$ and to gather FF points.

Although we would have to wait until Feb 1 to make the new booking on MH?
I suspect the $100 is per passenger. You could always make the MH booking now. The mileage earning (for OW) will be dependent on the flight date, not booking date (but you might need to wait to enter in your FF program number till 1 Feb).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:35 am
VLJ
Original Poster

We have just booked MAS and paid 3691 EU - after a cancellation fee of 152 EU we made an overall saving of around 1400 EU.
I realise the Singapore Airlines product is considered superior but a saving like this and still remaining in Business all the way home from Paris to Perth is a bonus.
It is a Business Promo sale on until Jan 10 - so the timing was good - the cancellation and change fee is significant though.
Let's hope they continue with the OW alliance and also using the A380 on this journey (Paris to KL from March 2013 on A380)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.