Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF10 to QF6 (LHR-SIN-SYD) - 50 minute connection

Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I'm booking my dad a ticket using a nearly dormant AAadvantage miles account and it's offering me this itinerary. It seems very tight given they are different planes, obviously no room for delay from London to Singapore. My questions : is this even realistic assuming no delay? If delayed, how do qantas deal with it (if at all)? Would they let him stay on QF10 to Melbourne then give him/charge him for a connection? Would they offer him a Singapore-Sydney flight the next day? Or would the SIN-SYD sector just be lost as a no show?

It will be a business class redemption, if that makes any difference. Any advice particularly from those who have attempted this itinerary before would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:46 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Minimum Connection Time at Singapore is 60 minutes, so not a valid itinerary.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Shows quite ok as a connection using Expert Flyer

also from MCT information , it shows 50 minutes for QF-QF for flights 1-199 to flights 1-199

QF-QF II .50 FLT 1 - 199 - FLT 1 - 199

Being a single itinerary, QF is responsible to get the passenger to Sydney if a misconnection occurs. Given that , ime, the QF flights go from gates close together , it is easy to connect; if the flight is late, I expect that they will just route him via Melbourne

If there is availability for a business class award, go for it
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:56 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Shows quite ok as a connection using Expert Flyer

also from MCT information , it shows 50 minutes for QF-QF for flights 1-99

QF-QF II .50 FLT 1 - 199 - FLT 1 - 199
Shows I shouldn't just go from memory! Standard I-I is 60mins though, but you're right QF-QF as above is 50mins.

In that case, QF would need to re-accommodate if the inbound was delayed. What that would mean on the day (or in this case, night) could be a number of things.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

thanks very much to you both for your responses
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I've had plenty of SQ itineraries that are 50 minute connections coming in from LHR to PER. I've had one that was a little tight and I had to rush straight to the connecting gate, but last time I even managed to swing by the SilverKris lounge for a quick beer!

Not QF I know, but obviously assuming the flight is on time it should be fine.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nux

In that case, QF would need to re-accommodate if the inbound was delayed. What that would mean on the day (or in this case, night) could be a number of things.
Given that the passenger will have just disembarked from an aeroplane that is heading to Melbourne, I would think that it is very likely that they will try to reroute the passenger via Melbourne if necessary

Given that business award seats are not the most common available things, I would have little hesitation in booking it. If it was a paid ticket, my preference would be to take the same aeroplane all the way to Australia, but for an award, take whatever is available

I think it is unlikely that the passenger, even if does misconnect to Sydney, will be stuck in Singapore too long given that it is a QF-QF connection and there is a QF flight departing soon after the passenger arrives

Even if 20-30 minutes late, getting between the gates that QF uses (such as C21-C23) would still be able to catch the flight. Singapore is a v easy place to connect compared to places such as HKG and BKK where arriving passengers have to head to a transit point , clear security at a central point and then head to gates
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Yeah all good points. I was mainly wanting to get peoples' opinion on whether or not QF would help out in the event of a missed connection, and it seems that it's likely they will. How he gets there in the case of that happening - i.e. next day from SIN or additional connection in MEL - isn't of major concern as he has plenty of time
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF, MH
Yeah, even though it is an award ticket your father will be governed by Qantas' conditions of carriage

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump9

In short if there is a delay or cancelled service they will try to get him on another flight. If he has to stay overnight they will either find him a hotel room or reimburse him for one.

Last edited by richie9x; Mar 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Some years ago my QF flight was delayed out of LHR due to bad weather (we got hit by lightning as we were taking off!). I had a connecting QF flight to BNE to catch.

On arrival they asked for all connecting passesngers to dissembark first. I was in Business so it was a fairly quick exit. They had held some flights from departing, mine was one of them. There was a board on the gangway showing which gates the connecting flights were leaving from. Mine was directly opposite the gate we arrived at!

This was my shortest ever connection. From touchdown at Singapore to take off was just under 30 mins! That's including the time the planes taxied to and from the runway.

Arriving in Brisbane we got delayed further as we arrived in a thunder and lightning storm so bags couldn't be offloaded for another 40 mins. I didn't know if my bag had made it with such a quick turnaround but it was one of the first off!

I don't know if they still do it, but do they read out the connecting flight gates before landing anymore? I didn't notice on my flight a couple of months ago.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: QF QP
Yes, they do announce the gates for connecting flights on descent into SIN (from LHR)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.