Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore-London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:24 pm
VLJ
Original Poster

I have checked all fights including BA and there are NO FF seats in J on the dates we are flying. I have even checked the days around those dates - in fact to my knowledge there were only TWO on the QF flight and we managed to get those the moment they were released 12 months out.
If you have ever tried to get FF seats in J on a long haul flight to London on the dates you are flying you would know how difficult it is and how happy we were to secure them. Of course it would be nice to fly A380 which does have the fully lie flat beds - and I am not sure if all 747s and EK 777s have the lie flat beds which may be offered to us.
If they offer the BA flights at the time - as I said, we would look at those and hope they have lie flat on a 13 hour SIN-LHR flight, which from all reports does not look like it's an option as of April 2013.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:11 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
BA J seat is far better than any QF seat in my opinion. It is a full flat bed. BA J service not as good as QF but it is a late evening departure from both SIN and LHR so sleep would be on the menu anyway.

I would just relax, quite a bit needs to happen before now and a date in April 2013 (which could be the 30th April 2013 for all we know).
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:52 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Deadlines and details

Hi all - as we are now just over six months out from our scheduled SIN-LHR-SIN in J for that dreaded first month of EK-QF changes ... April - I would like any advice for those who have reasonable knowledge of usual protocol.

We booked our FF seats in J on the day they were released to ensure we had the very long haul leg SIN-LHR-SIN in J, prepared to purchase Y seats for the shorter distance PER-SIN to meet that sector.
I am aware that the changes need to go through regulatory approvals and I would like to know anything more that is available to assist in our planning.
We need to get from SIN-LHR in J (and return) on the proposed dates already booked.

Will Qantas guarantee they will get us to our destination and back in the class we have booked? I realise now this will involve two flights SIN-DXB-LHR and return rather than the direct SIN-LHR.
If this is the case I would assume we are flown on either EK or QF to DXB - and in J class - to meet connecting flights DXB-LHR - again in J class - as it covers the flight requirements of our booking.

If there is an issue with seat availability on J in EK SIN-DXB and we only had the option of Y I would not want to accept the changes.
Would Qantas have the ability to makegood the seats on EK in J?
We have specifically booked the seats to fly in J and do not want to fly in Y.

I need more clarity on the situation of protocol for changes and if they are likely to offer like for like. Otherwise we will have to rethink our journey and holiday plans. It is difficult to move further until we know how we are getting to our destination.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:25 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The T&C of FF awards cover this rather succinctly:
"14.8.3 If a Classic Award is cancelled by the airline and reasonable alternative travel cannot be arranged, Qantas will waive the Cancellation Refund Fee on any Classic Award submitted for refund and will re-credit the applicable number of Points."

This means it is entirely up to QF what is "reasonable"; that may mean reroute on SQ, BA, etc. on SIN-LHR non-stop. You are free to reject their reroute and get your points back. Of course that doesn't help much with advance planning, as QF is unlikel to offer rerouting before 2013. Also note that EK has different J quality on different planes, including some of the SIN-DXB flights (esp. those via CMB). Some are more like QF domestic J, fwiw. All are a big step down from QF A380 J SIN-LHR service which you presumably had booked. Good luck.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Since there already is a thread by the OP about this topic I will merge the two. [/mod hat]
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
IMHO, Qantas will see you in J on with SIN/LHR direct, most likely on BA.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
deleted... wrong info.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Sep 24, 2012 at 5:29 am
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You will be covered by the EU compensation guidelines as it is a flight operating to the EU.
Isn't the other way around? A non-EU carrier is only bound by the EU Regulation for flights departing from an EU airport.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You will be covered by the EU compensation guidelines as it is a flight operating to the EU.
EU regulations apply to all flights operated by an EU flagged carrier and all flights from the EU on other carriers.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't the other way around? A non-EU carrier is only bound by the EU Regulation for flights departing from an EU airport.
Originally Posted by Himeno
EU regulations apply to all flights operated by an EU flagged carrier and all flights from the EU on other carriers.
yes and yes. sorry. my bad. thanks for the pick up.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:28 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Changes in progress

Well not impressed that Qantas has not bothered to send an email re changes to our booking. Have not checked our FF page and bookings for a while as I would have thought nothing happening with EK for a while yet.
So the first leg of our booking has note at top of it (when you log in, go to the booking and enter) then you are told the booking has changed.
Option has changed from our booking Sin-LHR on A380 QF1 at 11.59pm and the option is now BA 012 at 10.55pm on April 8 on 747.

It says to 'Confirm' or contact Qantas.

Before going into this I would like any advice on confirming this change.

How best to find out about seat options on BA?

Would QF offer seat selection for BA?

If not - do I now head to the BA Flyertalk forum?

I do not want to confirm changes unless I am assured J seating with my husband next to me - so not sure what seating availabilities there are on this flight.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:20 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Can't specifically comment on your questions except to say that BA J on the 744 is probably equal to the A380 offering (in terms of seat quality). I would be trying to get row 62 or 64 on the upper deck if possible.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Once you accept it you should be able to select seats.
The QF site should work, but otherwise you can always use Manage My Booking on the BA site...

My presumption is that given the EK deal is yet to be approved, most ex-SIN pax will go to BA... LHR-SYD/MEL will go on the new QF DXB services.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:25 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Thanks so much I will endeavour to try for those seats - I don't think I will be able to find out seating until I 'confirm' the change with QF and then go over to BA to ask about seat availability - and then have to pay for advanced seat selection!

It is difficult to accept something until you know what is available - I don't want to fly on BA if we are not seated together in J which is what we booked.
I also need to find out the difference with fuel surcharge/taxes with BA as opposed to QF.

So if I accept the change .. it is up to me to follow up seating with BA?

I know this is a difficult situation but it's hard to agree to something without all the information.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:29 am
VLJ
Original Poster

We have flown once this year on BA London-Geneva and the Manage my Booking did not offer seat selection - however you could pay for the option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.