Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by moa999
BNE has always been smaller for QF (I suspect it wont support A380) although has never got the QF love (lounges and all), even after forcing pax from OOL to transit it.
indeed, even though they love to trumpet their heritage - QLD has oft 'missed out' (I guess the NT part has also).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cityflyer369

Where do you conclude from that AF, BA, CX codeshares are going to be dumped?
AF and CX codeshares will be dumped.
The quick message I typed can be missinterpreted as I left out BA JSA.
I believe QF will keep the BA codeshares in place but not under the revenue/cost sharing agreement.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Edited to add:
IMHO the big point is that we will be able to fly QF operated and marketed MEL/SYD-LHR/DXB without touching Asia.
This will make possible xONE3s that include SWP (and Europe and one of the Americas)
and to remove
IMHO the big point is that we will be able to fly QF metal MEL/SYD-LHR (or DXB of course) without touching Asia. This will make an ex-SWP xONE3 possible
I am not sure this will be the case. Remember the DEL - ORD non- stop flight the did not land in Europe, but still had to claim Europe as a continent....
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:13 pm

The big thing for me is DUBAI. ... A nightmare scenario if ever there was one.
It's congested and tacky and most of all claustrophobic .... And I am talking J class with it's barely there benefits .

I frequent the Zurich route and After a few times via Dubai , I switched mostly to SQ and or TG with the occasional LX....

NOT FOR ME DUBAI !!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
Interestingly as a lowly EK Blue FF (I last flew with them in 2008 so not really a FF) I receive an email today telling me about the 'Emirates and Qantas partnership'.

As a QF WP, I have not heard anything.

This is the main part of the EK email:

As a Skywards member you can benefit from the best of both worlds:

- Earn Skywards Miles on all Qantas international and connecting domestic flights and redeem them for any Emirates or Qantas flight.
- Avail of your Skywards tier benefits when travelling on Qantas, including access to the most comprehensive airport lounge network, additional baggage allowances, priority check-in and priority baggage delivery.

Now from what I can work out the EK Tier system is driven by miles earned, e.g. 25,000 and 50,000. So if you can earn miles on QF flights, then logically you can earn QF status points in EK flights.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
QFi biggest issue was competing against airlines in the region with much lower operating costs. How does this change that scenario?

Also now that the JSA is gone, how long until BA pulls the pin on Oz altogether? Surely they'd prefer to codeshare from Oz and pick up pax in Asia.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Any preliminary thoughts on the re-timing of HKG flights? I'm on QF127 at the end of May in F on an AA redemption, originating in AKL. Not terribly concerned about any time changes, unless they do something like yank the A380 from HKG.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I wonder if this means EK will hand over the TT traffic to QF?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Any preliminary thoughts on the re-timing of HKG flights?
Yes, QF will have re-timing both HKG & SIN only but, QF will switched from SIN to DXB.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/09/06/qfek/

QF will terminates 17-year long joint-venture agreement with British Airways.
QF will terminates Singapore stopover.
QF will start nonstop to DXB from SYD & MEL. It will operate Terminal 3 for an A380 only.

After all, QF will start codeshare partnership with Emirates.

QF/EK will have 7 daily to LHR service.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Edited to add:
IMHO the big point is that we will be able to fly QF operated and marketed MEL/SYD-LHR/DXB without touching Asia.
This will make possible xONE3s that include SWP (and Europe and one of the Americas)
and to remove
IMHO the big point is that we will be able to fly QF metal MEL/SYD-LHR (or DXB of course) without touching Asia. This will make an ex-SWP xONE3 possible
I am not sure this will be the case. Remember the DEL - ORD non- stop flight the did not land in Europe, but still had to claim Europe as a continent....
I believe this to be incorrect - see this thread - Musings ORD-DEL flight on a xONEn - it's like a Circle Pacific ticket - only better

But in any case, we will have to wait and see with regard to QF's proposed SWP-Europe* non-stop flights

*Europe - as defined in the xONEx rules, i.e. including the Middle East
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:15 pm

Wink

I for one welcome our new EK overlords and their esteemed Skywards brethren. :-::-::-:
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by bensyd
QFi biggest issue was competing against airlines in the region with much lower operating costs. How does this change that scenario?

Also now that the JSA is gone, how long until BA pulls the pin on Oz altogether? Surely they'd prefer to codeshare from Oz and pick up pax in Asia.
I'm not sure if they want to compete in costs (they may know they can't win and it's a bottomless pit). This may just be a strategy to expand reach without as much investment.

Also, regarding BA to Australia, that was one of my earliest thoughts (on Twitter too). It may not surprise me if BA metals disappear from Australia in 2014 or earlier...

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I wonder if this means EK will hand over the TT traffic to QF?
I hope not. If EK keeps its low TT fares (unlikely now), I was day-dreaming about doing a F run on the A380 and earning F SC's...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:03 am
Original Poster

I for one welcome this deal - and I also welcome the fact that hopefully we will see increased better time frequencies into Singapore and Hong Kong. I am also happy I predicted the announcement date. Slightly disappointed to see the loss of Frankfurt, but nor surprised. Am surprised that this is a joint venture proposition at the expense of BA.

I am however, hesitant at the quality of product that will be offered to Singapore. There is no way a Qantas A330 with slanty beds in Business can compete with 2xdaily SQ A380 into Sydney and Melbourne.

[speculative hat]
I do think though Qantas flights into Singapore will arrive at 6pm, turn around to fly back at 8pm back into Australia (like the QF 77/78 timings from PER). I think you will then see Jet Airways re-time its Indian flight connections from MAA, DEL and BOM to connect into this bank of flights in Singapore.

What are the chances BA will say "get stuffed" to QF codeshares, and decide to connect customers onto CX via HKG like it does for its AKL flights?
[/speculative hat]
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I wonder if EK will finally see that it MUST finally come up w a 4th tier in order to give their own customers the same benefits that QF Top tier passengers get. Contrary to popular opinion, I/O is NOT a 4th tier. For some things its still considered "Gold" such as earning bonuses, etc. the F lounge & chauffeur drive mean nothing since every I/O member is pretty much an F passenger anyway so we get all that anyway (it comes in handy on the few routes w no F cabin but those are rare)

It's about time EK joins the rest of the world in recognizing that someone who earns 100K status miles flys more Thrn someone w just 50K
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†

No more QF Flights from Europe to SIN on QF now. That makes retaining Status on QF harder. I wont stopover in DUB on that route.

With that agreement EK wins some business from me but QF loses out.
Dropping the BA JSA is very sad, but both BA and QF are to blame about that. They had it in their hands...

Last edited by Tyrolean; Sep 6, 2012 at 12:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.