Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:35 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by matthandy
A great post eightblack that seems to sum up what could well be the reality of a code share between QF and EK.
+ 1

Thanks God Virgin is there....
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
So for those of us who rely on QF being part of OW and earn points to other carriers in the system, anyone know what will happen there? Will we be relegated to EK with no points or status benefits? When does Malaysian join OW again?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nelsoninbangkok
Will we be relegated to EK with no points or status benefits? When does Malaysian join OW again?
This is my fear too. Why fly QF/EK earning no points when I could fly CX or BA instead? Although, we should bear in mind that the details are not known yet.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by matthandy
This is my fear too. Why fly QF/EK earning no points when I could fly CX or BA instead? Although, we should bear in mind that the details are not known yet.
I'm sure you'll earn status credits and points if you book on QF and the EK metal has a QF flight number. Lets not nail the poor, wee Irishman to the cross just yet
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I think many of you are too pessimistic here. I would expect any agreement between QF and EK to include, for example, at least full FF benefits, status credits and points when travelling on a QF-codeshare operated by EK. It would be ridiculous if they did not agree on this, and I don't think that QF's management are stupid.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
What is the chance that if you fly on Emirates and book on the QF website you actually will pay more instead of just booking with Emirates.

At least when I book with oneworld whether it be AA or BA you will get some benefits.

What has me puzzled is why bother upgrading the Qantas Singapore business and first lounges.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:37 pm

SIN will certainly remain one of QF's major destinations, due its Economic significance. It makes sense to have excellent lounges there. Look at the lounges many airlines have in FRA even though it is not their hub, for example. Another example: the best Skyteam lounge in the world is in London. Obviously, London is not a ST hub, but it's an important destination.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
What is the chance that if you fly on Emirates and book on the QF website you actually will pay more instead of just booking with Emirates.

At least when I book with oneworld whether it be AA or BA you will get some benefits.

What has me puzzled is why bother upgrading the Qantas Singapore business and first lounges.
The likely hood is very very high. Often when I book LHR Asia on BA I found the QF codeshare is always way more expensive than BA code. Sometimes almost double!
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
I think many of you are too pessimistic here. I would expect any agreement between QF and EK to include, for example, at least full FF benefits, status credits and points when travelling on a QF-codeshare operated by EK. It would be ridiculous if they did not agree on this, and I don't think that QF's management are stupid.
Unless EK has a secret First Class lounge in Dubai. I could not agree with that FULL benefits applies.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:50 pm

If Dubai really becomes QF's major port for European destinations, I am sure they will set up a First class lounge there. They have one in HKG, don't they, so why wouldn't they set up one in Dubai?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If Dubai really becomes QF's major port for European destinations, I am sure they will set up a First class lounge there. They have one in HKG, don't they, so why wouldn't they set up one in Dubai?
um, if they are code sharing with EK, then why would they not just let the 1st class passengers use the very nice EK 1st class lounge
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:28 am

So it's even easier. Thanks for pointing this out. I assumed chongcao was right when stating that there was no EK First class lounge in Dubai. If there already is one, then, of course, it makes sense for QF to make sure it is accessible to their Plat members.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
The big announcement is on Thursday Sept 6 at 9am in SYD time. You'll see. You will hear both QF & EK.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:24 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
So it's even easier. Thanks for pointing this out. I assumed chongcao was right when stating that there was no EK First class lounge in Dubai. If there already is one, then, of course, it makes sense for QF to make sure it is accessible to their Plat members.
It wont be up to QF to decide who gets access to EK's F lounge. It will be up to EK. At present, this is their flagship lounge and access is only permitted to those who hold an F ticket (or who are a guest of a Gold member who is travelling in F, and you need to be on the same flight). Or I/O members (EK's Invitation Only program)

The challenge will be that if you are a QF Plat, Plat One or CL - you would be technically allowed access to the F lounge - (and you could also be on a Y or J ticket). I haven't drilled down into the rules as they relate to codeshare partners (because you can be sure if there is a way EK will wiggle out of offering this benefit, they will) due to wanting to preserve the F lounge for their own premium passengers, no matter what QF is prepared to pay per member per visit.

Irrespective of what the rules say - I can bet you that there will be some aggrieved QF members who will believe they are entitled to access the F lounge in DXB because they hold a valid QF ticket, with a QF flight number and their respective status permits access everywhere else (ie QF and OW lounges).
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eightblack

The challenge will be that if you are a QF Plat, Plat One or CL - you would be technically allowed access to the F lounge - (and you could also be on a Y or J ticket). I haven't drilled down into the rules as they relate to codeshare partners (because you can be sure if there is a way EK will wiggle out of offering this benefit, they will) due to wanting to preserve the F lounge for their own premium passengers, no matter what QF is prepared to pay per member per visit.

Irrespective of what the rules say - I can bet you that there will be some aggrieved QF members who will believe they are entitled to access the F lounge in DXB because they hold a valid QF ticket, with a QF flight number and their respective status permits access everywhere else (ie QF and OW lounges).
If there is a codeshare coming, then I would doubt very much that QF F passengers on an EK flight would be denied access

As far as access via status, lounge access with QF membership is available to OW lounges where flight is both marketed and operated by an OW airline , so without some special dispensation, there would be no lounge access

I would expect and hope that EK will keep the first lounge for those in 1st class and would suspect that any lounge access granted on status would likely be limited to business lounges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.