Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar Customer (lack of) Service does it again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar Customer (lack of) Service does it again

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
Thumbs down Jetstar Customer (lack of) Service does it again

From stuff.co.nz

Jetstar shock for shark victim's mum

Jetstar refused to shift a booking for the mother of shark victim Adam Strange to fly to Auckland after his death.

Jeanette Strange, of Paraparaumu, had already booked return flights from Wellington to visit her son next week.

But after police broke the news to her on Wednesday of her son's death at Muriwai Beach, her sister rang Jetstar to transfer the booking, telling the airline about the horrific reasons for the change .......

Last edited by davidrnz; Feb 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
That is what you get when you have a Call Centre based in another country.
How would they have known about the tragedy or that this is really the family involved.
As much as I sympathise with the family on this matter I find it a bit inappropriate for them to go to the media at this moment in time.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Yeah that's the thing - these guys just don't have that much discretion to put the rules to one side, as is clearly necessary on such occassions.

Supervisor should know better though.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It's a tough one for JetStar. I would hope they have an internal policy on exactly what to do in such circumstances. They will obviously see the political problems with negative decisions, but giving the staff the clear instructions on what to do is critical. I suspect they have not developed such policies covering political discretion. Unless of course it's always "computer says no".
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Being covered in the Australian media as well, of course.

Stupid way to run a company. Just hands tons of good publicity to Air New Zealand.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
But seriously, they can't just let anyone change their booking because they ring up and say their son was killed by a shark. Otherwise what's the point of having no-change fares?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, UA, AC, Velocity
Seriously? Of course they can.

If they thought the "story" was not genuine, they could have professionally checked out the story and got back to the pax in 5 mins.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
So what degree of tragedy is necessary for the general public to agree that JetStar should give a free ticket change? Is it the pet dog being run over, is it the old auntie on her death bed, house fire, shark attack? How long is the list? Going to the media forces the airline into a corner and nobody wins. Should the taxi to the airport be free too for personal tragedy issues?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
So what degree of tragedy is necessary for the general public to agree that JetStar should give a free ticket change? Is it the pet dog being run over, is it the old auntie on her death bed, house fire, shark attack? How long is the list? Going to the media forces the airline into a corner and nobody wins. Should the taxi to the airport be free too for personal tragedy issues?
Most airlines' fare rules ime do have provision for changes/cancellations , even on v unflexible fares for death of an immediate family member.

I agree that the "I'll scweam and scweam (to media) till i'm sick" approach is not appropriate. If the reservations staff are incorrect, all that is likely to be needed is to write in with the proof and will be fixed.

Looking at JQ's rules for WLG-AKL

Under changes penalty is does say

Code:
           INVOLUNTARY REBOOKING/REVALIDATION/ AND REROUTING/
           REISSUE/ PERMITTED IN THE EVENT OF CERTIFIED DEATH
           OR FOR OPERATIONAL REASONS AS PROVIDED IN PAT
           GENERAL RULES.
which I am not quite sure whether that would help

but in cancellations it says

Code:
           WAIVER PERMITTED FOR DEATH OF A PASSENGER AN
           ACCOMPANYING PASSENGER/IMMEDIATE RELATIVE/AS
           DEFINED IN PAT GENERAL RULES//LEGAL GUARDIAN OR
           WARD/AS VALIDATED BY A DEATH OR MEDICAL
           CERTIFICATE.
so the person should seemingly been permitted to cancel without penalty and then rebook onto another flight, so if JQ staff did say that there was nothing that could be done, it does seem that they were wrong

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by og
The consumer wins. See the post after your own. Jetstar, as well as acting like dicks, did not follow their own fare rules. Do you think it is reasonable that someone who has just been informed of the death of their son, write a strongly worded letter to Jetstar and wait out a review of the case and wait for Jetstar to read over their own fare rules, then get back to them in due course?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.